News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Brown is gone after this year because of his salary. Mullins earns a roster spot and to compete to start as he's proven he can play last season. Agreed, they hopefully can find someone to bring in in the offseason.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stieber and Arriola are wide players (although Stieber can play inside, we are told); Miranda is a forward and Canouse a holding midfielder. It seems to me we still need a strong central midfielder to boss the attack. Acosta can do some of this but he is tiny and can get run over and pushed off the ball. If we continue to play with only one forward, there is an opening for someone to fill that position, while Acosta zips around and Canouse cleans up. Can Harkes improve enough to be that player? Another thought: I thought Miranda looked very sharp and clever. Put him up front (and sit the ineffectual Brown) and drop Mullins back to attacking mid. He has good vision and combines well with others and I think could do well.

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brown needs all the minutes. Why not? He's the only question mark at striker. Mullins and Bruno are here for the next two years at least. Paying Brown Rolfe money is fine IF he can be counted on for 12 plus goals.

Right now, it doesn't look good, but there's ten more games. Might as well use them to our advantage. Brown checks a lot of boxes, but no goals, no way.

4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why your optimism of a late rally should be ended after one game - the team Olsen put on the field was lacking 4 people who will be starting by the end of the year - Kemp, Harkes, Stieber, and Canouse. I'm not sure we can judge the new United yet until everyone who's going to start going forward is actually starting and the dead weight is put on the bench or out of the 18.

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brown's getting DP money in 2018 if he's still here. Might as well find out if he's worth it once his concussion symptoms subside.

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his short stint Sunday Miranda looked much better than Brown. I see Mullins and Miranda as our forwards of the future, unless Brown perks up soon.

7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My optimism isn't ended because of the play - I am sure we will be much better when everyone is on the pitch. It's ended for me because after another home loss, I just don't see that even with the unlikely event we win every single match, we can even catch 6th place.

Columbus are in 5th but have the same points as 6th (Atlanta) with 3 more games played. We'd have to make up 16 points on Columbus with 30 available total to us, all while 4 other teams don't pass Columbus also who are only currently 6 points or so back.

Winoman, ElApacheTevez and pr0ner repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very valid point. Thanks for the elaboration!

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  9. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's latest

Brown out with concussion
    Buscher officially to Rochester on loan
    Miranda likely staying in DC

Murrdcu, Winoman, jason1551 and 6 others repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least we know the exact number of games remaining at RFK.

Winoman, asitis and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear the last one.

gringolimon repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    full quote on that one:

United had given thought to loaning Bolivian forward Bruno Miranda, 19, who arrived two weeks ago. However, it appears he’ll stay with United for the rest of the season.

“I really like the kid. He’s a real talent,” Olsen said. “We’ll figure out what is best for him, short term and long, but he’s an exciting piece.”

Boloni86, Murrdcu, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

I've exhausted all free digital views of the WAPO for however long the period is.

benni... and Murrdcu repped this.
  14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How terrible is the MLS online store? They don't even have Paul Arriola jerseys available for sale.

You can purchase one via personalization but you'd t think they would would try and make some money off of the guy considering how much money was used to bring him in.

15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry for Brown but excited that Miranda won't languish in Richmond for the rest of the season. He looked very good in his short debut Sunday, and I would love to see him on the pitch with Acosta, Arriola, and maybe even Mullins, (if Ben finds a way to have two forwards on the field at the same time). Throw in Canouse, and we can start working toward a productive 2018.

Winoman and gringolimon repped this.
  16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether on your phone or computer, just turn on readability view and it will show the content.

upload_2017-8-15_16-2-17.png

benni... and Eastern Bear repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, ForFcuksSake. Really?

Fcuk!!!!

james

18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    And with those few words another dream dies

19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concussion?

20. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    I think his outburst is from the article saying "Ben Olsen and D.C. united are winless in nine straight..."

benni... repped this.
  21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    At least they sell United jerseys. I think the demand is somewhat limited by the lack of success so expecting new items to be introduced just to go into the sale bin in a few weeks is asking a bit much,

22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All they would have to do is add a stock image and print when ordered. MLSshop currently has options to buy Ian Harkes, Sean Franklin, Mullins and Acosta. I can't believe they actually have bins full of their jerseys sitting around. All the jerseys from online probably get printed up as ordered.

Winoman and Funkfoot repped this.
  23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mastroeni out in Colorado, his assistant Steve Cooke now in charge. See, there are team managements that act decisively when the team underperforms.

Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  24. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    If they say Bruno is staying, then he will take Browns intl slot and they dont feel good about the concussion as you need a intl slot for Bruno.

25. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miranda already had one. They loaned out Buescher to make room for Stieber