News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope we didn't use that much salary on this guy

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For this year, the number seems unclear. For 2018, the answer really is "a lot".

3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dafuq?

4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, all signs point to Brown being worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 200K. I guess he's got 4 months to prove me wrong.

Honestly, Ortiz was pretty good last night, and played a big role in the win. A three headed forward corps of Ortiz, Mullins and Brown is pleasingly diverse in style, but is it strong enough to get us to the playoffs? Brown had the desired effect at forward, but given some of his defense, I'm not sure he's an effective wing option for us. When Mullins comes back, we'll have a real battle on our hands. At that price tag, I'm not sure Brown stays, even if he plays significant minutes.

Which is fine by me. We need him now.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  5. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen the 3-5-2 mentioned as a possibility few times on here. It might backfire tremendously, but if the season goes down the hole I'd give it a shot. It makes Acosta less isolated and gives him a free floating role(think 2004 Christian Gomez), puts Ortiz in his natural role(2nd striker) to open up the field, and leaves Mullins/Brown as the target/poacher in front of goal. The two only questions would be the effectiveness of the back three and learning a new formation midseason.

Of course, this is all speculation. I sincerely doubt a Ben Olsen team ever moves away from any formation that has a back four.

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A 3-5-2 would never work with this roster. Who plays the outside mids in that formation? They have to defend like crazy and play offense. Josh Gros had that type of motor, who has that now? Sam doesn't, you would break a fragile Nyarko down in that role. That leaves what? Kemp? Not a real and consistent offensive threat. NDL? Assuming he gets back, maybe he can be the Josh Gros type except that since his rookie season, NDL is worse offensively than Gros was. Then, what happens to OA? Is your back 3 Opare, Birnbaum, Robinson? Two many holes and variables.

Winoman repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    you made some excellent and insightful points. I believe them. I look forward to Olsen giving the 3-5-2 a spin. He'll show Juve how it's done

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We dont have enough central defenders. We only have 4. For 3 psoitions. If someone gets injured or suspended, your left with Robinson and no one.

9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen demands a lot of defending from his wings. I'm not so sure it would be a huge change for Nyarko and Sam - who are already regularly subbed out as it is. It's an interesting idea, anyway.

Kemp in that role is probably a real threat to get off dangerous crosses and distribute behind the line in transition. The problem there is that although one of our likely starters has the speed to get on some of those, neither is known to be particularly adept with their craniums. I wonder how Shooter would do inverted... :)

10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree in general.

But I'd just like to note that Kemp has quietly turned into a defensive rock although it's been at the cost of some of his offensive production.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    True. With Korb and Kemp (the killer K's?) playing well, we don't miss Franklin and NDL at all. Makes it hard for Odoi Atsem and Robinson to get any playing time, too. (Does anyone still consider Robinson a right back? That's how he was "advertised," but he doesn't play there when he does get in.)

I've got to say that Korb's return has been a really pleasant surprise during this shit run we've been having.

GumbyG repped this.
  12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

Al-Taawoun FC, of the Saudi Professional League, announced on Twitter this morning that they had signed Alhaji Kamara. The amount of the transfer fee, if any, is currently unknown at this time and is typically not released by MLS or its teams.

13. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Goff, it's $250,000. I think United gets to keep 1/3 of that.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean 6 more seats at Audi Field??

ElApacheTevez repped this.
  15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    FYP

16. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep 2/3 per Goff

mosca repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My bad. I forgot. I'm old. :oops:

18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not bad, since we got him on a free transfer (right?).

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It's like free money!

20. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Correct.

We essentially traded Kamara (allocation money from transfer fee and international slot) for Brown.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that sense, it was a very good trade.

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Even if you disregard the 10 goats, 2 camels, and a well used but not abused 3x5 rug that was paid as a finders fee

23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid going to Gold Cup, no Birnbaum

24. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well deserved outcomes for both players.

25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So a few weeks ago my target list Kenwyne Jones, Will Bruin, Juninho and Kekuta Manneh. As things have developed I'm starting to think that Bruin and Manneh are increasingly less likely to be traded. Bruin has gotten into decent scoring form which Seattle may feel reluctant to part with. And Manneh just had his breakout game which probably means more and more minutes in the coming weeks.

A new potential trade partner to keep an eye out for is San Jose.

San Jose just signed a new attacking DP and made a coaching change. Signing Quzaishvili should theoretically make it even harder for the guys on the bench to get into the lineup. My favorite target here is Shea Salinas. Talented, affordable, domestic and still youngish. And he fits a need. Unfortunately I see San Jose as more likely to want to dump Simon Dawkins' big salary. And I can just see Kasper being the sucker to do it, the same way we got Igboananike last year.

Some other names I'm looking at are Victor Ulloa in Dallas who is not getting the minutes his talent deserves. It's hard to break into a team that plays Gruezo and Acosta. I'm also looking at Montreal who is being linked to Wesley Sneijder. They already have a surplus of central midfielders. The player I'm looking at is Hernan Bernardello. I'm not wild about the idea, but he does fit a need. And I think it would be good to get another Argentinian player onto the team who can hopefully speak Acosta's soccer language.