News: 2017 Preseason

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCUSA, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Durkin & Ian Harkes are on. A good chance to watch some good young prospects.

2. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OG, shot deflected by Durkin, Montreal 4-2

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see that our Negative Nellies are in mid-season form:D

UnitedBorn repped this.
  4. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, this is the same shit that they do even when they're in-form, during the regular season. I don't think it's too much to ask to have your favorite team play the game the way it's supposed to be played. If DC even attempted to do the right things, I could applaud that, even though it doesn't always work out.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    A few notes ...

A couple of those goals never happen with Hamid. With his athleticism, he would have made sure to get something on that ball to avoid conceding the PK. That's a mistake Hamid used to make when he was younger, but not anymore. He also would have been more vocal on the 3rd goal to make sure that Mullins gets out of the way. Just a simple thing like better keeper communication, and that goal never happens.

Still not impressed with the defense reshuffling. De Leon and Franklin were out of position and second best for most of the game. Also, why did Kemp play 80+ minutes? Did Tissot reject our offer?

Central midfield continues to be a problem. Sarvas and Jeffrey are not going to intimidate anyone in MLS. The modern MLS midfields are very physical, athletic and fast paced. Sarvas and Jeffrey will be one step behind most of the action. Harkes was a breath of fresh air in the second half, but how much should we really expect from a rookie?

dcu n bntwn, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, I expect him to be in the running for Rookie of the Year, so my expectations are fairly high.

7. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I agree that the defense looked bad during the first half (which is pretty much all I saw). Franklin is slow and positions himself poorly. That's bad enough at outside back, but at center back it's suicide. He just gave up and watched Oduro go right to goal. Not sure I understand Ben's thinking with that experiment.

The game plan appeared to be to play the ball long to Mullins 1v4 and hope he would do something on his own.

Getting to the playoffs won't be as easy this year. Maybe they're under orders to make sure the NYRB really is the last game at RFK.

8. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was encouraged. United had the ball after the first ten minutes or so. DeLeon and Sam were doing work. To me, this was like an average regular season game last year. Half the team was out of sync, but for mid February, it's looking promising.

I totally get Franklin at center back. He looked slow at the start, but the whole team did. What I like is he can play the ball out of the back. This can be a huge boon going forward, IF...he can.defend. So far, that looks sketchy, but there's still time.

Keepers were just bad, get well soon, Bill.

9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If neg rep still existed, you'd get it for that comment.

Murr, griffin1108, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are in better form than the team?

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tumultuous weekend for the Harkes family. Coach Dad gets fired Friday from Cincinnati FC but son Ian looks good for Daddy's former team on Saturday.

12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Now if he can just start scoring away from Home.

14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If DC United loses Saturday they can throw something in the Al Lang stadium locker room and start a new tradition since it doesn't seem that DCU will be playing Charleston Battery any time soon.

16. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone watching this game against St Louis? It looks like Hamid in goal but no way right? The ball's never down that way so I can't say for sure.

17. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  18. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's him

Winoman repped this.
  19. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0, goals from Kamara and Letoux. United started the second team, with Durkin at left back, Harkes at cm.

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 on a tap in from Nyarko after the goalie botched a clearance on the Sam centered ball.

Would have liked to see Acosta on the field a bit more with Ortiz but everything else looked good. No idea about St. Louis as a team.

james

Winoman repped this.
  21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch many minutes, but Durkin stood out for me. I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't you. He's part of the team, even if he may end up playing a lot in Richmond. Young, but very highly regarded. He was out of position, but that didn't seem to bother him.

23. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from Goff's twitter feed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...487859298265&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.c3bb23b67285

asitis and fatbastard repped this.
  24. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    One thing that Goff hints at in the story linked by Winoman is that many players for DCU can play on both wings and up top. Neal, Sam, Neagle, LeToux, Nyarko and even Mullins can all play those three spots for a spell. I cannot imagine the confusion for opposing defenses if those three positions constantly change during the course of a game. I hope Olsen is planning on moving those guys around a lot during matches. Especially defenses with young defenders or combos that aren't used to playing together (expansions squads, I'm lookin' at you).

Boloni86, Winoman and Heist repped this.
  25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lloyd Sam to Nyarko goal from the St. Louis game is a perfect example. They got out on the break and Sam crossed to Nyarko who was making a central run that often a center forward would have made rather than a back post run that he made a lot last year. I don't remember how the play started and why Nyarko was there instead of the CF, but it was good awareness to make the right run for that play, and it was a good cross. The fact that it ended up in the goal was a bit lucky, but you make your own luck by getting the ball to the top of the 6 yd box and getting runners in there.
    You forgot Ortiz in your list. :)
    And Kamara can also provide a somewhat different look when he makes the 18 (which might not even be that often).

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.