News: 2017 Preseason

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCUSA, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team meets at RFK just next week, and the off season becomes preseason. I'll kick it off with the first depth chart.

Forward: Mullins, Ortiz, Kamara
    LM: Nyarko, Neagle, Rolfe
    RM: Sam, DeLeon, Ortiz
    AM: Acosta, Buscher, Rolfe
    CM: Vincent, Jeffrey, Harkes
    DM: Sarvas, Vincent, Durkin
    LB: Kemp, Odoi-Atsem
    LCB: Birnbaum, Opare
    RCB: Boswell, Robinson, Rimstad
    RB: Franklin, Odoi-Atsem, DeLeon
    GK: Hamid, Worra, Horton, Klenofsky

Just like when pointy ball teams release their first depth charts, it schews toward veteran starters, and expects some young players to move up .

Rolfe is a big question mark. If he can play, great, but if not there is room on the roster for a versatile attacker like him. Best to find out early in preseason. If Rolfe has to retire, Williamson has a ready made role immediately.

If you're a decent free agent left back, show up in Tampa. If Corey Ashe is still out there and wants to play for 100k, they should do that.

I still feel the center of defense is the team's weak spot. My hope is Robinson is ready and called upon if needed. A free agent vet here for would ease my mind some, especially if Opare isn't to be trusted and Boswell can't hang.

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I hope this season we see 3 bold transitions in the starting lineup. Franklin to Odoi Atsem. Sarvas to Harkes. And Boswell to Opare.

I don't mind projecting those 3 veterans as starters at the beginning of the season. But at some point it's inevitable that they miss some time due to injury or suspension. I hope those 3 younger options step in and make it hard for Olsen to pull them out of the lineup.

Younger players can't grow by watching from the bench. At some point you need to take a leap of faith and give youth a chance.

Look at Pulisic. There's no shortage of options at Dortmund on the wings, like Schurrle or Kagawa. But their coach is fearless and unapologetic in playing Pulisic. Turns out young players expand their potential by getting playing time. Weird concept.

sitruc, JRHokie, shawn12011 and 4 others repped this.
  3. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admittedly never seen Harkes play, but everything i've read on him says he is more of a center mid than d mid, and would take that role between Acosta and Sarvas. Now whether or not Vincent could overtake Sarvas would be another point

GumbyG, DCUSA and jason1551 repped this.
  4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Sarvas starts, it's at DM. That center mid role is too much running for him, unless it's as a sub. Vincent could win that DM. To me, neither is ideal but this season feels like a dress rehearsal for all the young guys to learn from the vets, then overtake them at Buzzard Point.

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Surgery for Hamid on the same right knee as last year. Not good. I'm afraid we're seeing a career derailed by persistent chronic injury. This is the second meniscus surgery within 1 year and the third or fourth meniscus injury to that knee. I hope he makes a full recovery, but I'm fearful we will see more Travis Worra or Charlie Horton than we expected.

Theopisa, grumpydcu and DCUSA repped this.
  6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

"Legion of Doom" thread is over thattaway >>>

Boloni86 repped this.
  7. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, he's still a young guy, but I share your fears. Chronic knee issues are pretty bad news.

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Bobby Orr/Joe Namath -- sometimes part of your body can't withstand the rigors of the sport you play at a high level. I hope Hamid recovers, but 2 surgeries on the same knee in a year is not good.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but fairly common where major knee surgeries are concerned - whether it's "not good" or just semi-normal depends on what was done the second time and why - if it was just clearing out stuff from the first surgery, probably no big deal at all; if it was something new ..... could go either way.

I hope he's fine but it lessens interest in him overseas - for purely selfish reasons I want him to stay here :)

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc, Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  11. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    DeLeon played ok at RB in a handful of games, and he contributed to giving up two goals in the playoff against Montreal that led to our elimination. Ben is going to try him in every spot until he convinces himself of what many of us have seen a long time ago. Nick has heart, but he doesn't have the skills to play at this level. And for whatever reason, DC staff is not able to help him improve. He has had every opportunity. Keep him on the bench since he can get minutes if someone goes down injured and we're thin - but he should be spending quality time riding pine this year.

grumpydcu, Boloni86 and John L repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated visual tracker - only players under contract. Put NDL at LB based on prior report and to make it nice and even

upload_2017-1-25_19-17-22.png

6 ft. Leprechaun, DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  13. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Still see us as a bit thin in the midfield -- or put differently, not quite strong enough. Agree with other posters that it would be dynamite to see Buscher and Acosta on the field at the same time, but I think we'd need someone much stronger in the Marcelo spot.

Liking the fact that we have some strength/quality to come off the bench. Still a bit less than deep-in-the-playoffs ready on the backline, but I'm open to being positively surprised...

14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I don't think we're thin in terms of depth. Harkes (possibly) and Vincent and Buescher as the backups are pretty good. It's the top line starters that I'm more worried about in the midfield.
    I think we'll see Buescher and Acosta on the field at some point this year, but not regularly.
    DeLeon of course could be depth at 3-5 positions. I hope he isn't starting though. Coming off the bench, DeLeon is one of the better utility bench guys in the league. LeToux and Neagle as our backup wingers is pretty solid. I don't know all the MLS teams depth charts, but I 'd venture to say that those might be the best backup winger pair in the league. And Ortiz might also be viable there. Will have to see on that.
    Worra is a pretty solid backup as well. A big drop from Hamid, but he's a solid backup.

GumbyG repped this.
  15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If Mullins goes down, those other two guys are pretty much unknowns. That is my biggest concern. Otherwise we seem more solid going into the season than we have in years.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Last year it was ...

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't invalidate the concern - Mullins was far from a known quality. Most of us know without Mullins goals will be hard to come by.

We didn't address this need in the offseason. Perhaps some more mid season MLS dumpster diving will save us yet again.

james

GumbyG repped this.
  18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, except for this. He does have the skills. :( As a two-way mid with an 85% pass completion ratio, he can't properly weight a pass in the 18. As a player who as a rookie had 8 goals, he now sends every shot into the stands - good, clear opportunities. That's not a lack of skill, or the league figuring him out, that's a mental block. Crack it, and he'll be something special again.

I'm tired of waiting, too, but he's only 26, and probably has 6 more years of terrorizing the enemy in him.:thumbsup:

DCUSA repped this.
  19. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Only if needed.

This would indicate the faith in both Kamara (who was surprisingly injured a lot last season) and Ortiz (who the F.O. Has been following ever since our last Concacaf CC exit). There's also Neagle (one of our highest scorers last season) and now Le Toux to fight for minutes. DCU still has a lot of salary cap wiggle room, per the Black and Red podcast that had Sebastian Salazar on it, to manuever around if the forward production needs reinforcements.

DCUSA, Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I have absolutely no clue whether Kamara and Ortiz are good enough for MLS. Sure, they scored goals in other leagues - so did Danny Alsopp. Mullins had already proven himself (somewhat) in MLS. I also have no idea whether Harkes and Odoi-Atsem will be good enough, but those are not going to keep me up nights.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A recent Goff post about the team said we had very little cap space once we sign a backup left back.

I'd say they addressed it far better than last season. Last year we knew we were screwed at forward going into the season. This year we might end up struggling. But I think it's no more likely than any other team in mls.

22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who would you all have signed?

Heist repped this.
  23. John L

John L Member+