2017 Preseason Roster Moves

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by triplet1, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Let's start looking at the 2017 roster. The Pioneer Press reported last week that the Loons have added three players, Finnish midfielder Rasmus Schuller, Jamaican defender Jermaine Taylor and Venezuelan midfielder Bernardo Anor.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4205225-minnesota-united-adds-3-experienced-players-mls-roster

Schuller spent last season at Swedish club BK Hacken (a small Goteborg club that finished tenth in the Allsvenskan last season), Taylor was with the Timbers and Anor was with the Loons (on loan from SKC).

The Swedish theme continued when the Loons announced yesterday that they had signed Swedish international goalkeeper John Alvbåge on loan from IFK Goteborg -- IFK is one of Sweden's "big three" clubs -- and he was the Allsvenskan goalkeeper of the year in 2015.

The biggest news came with the announcement on Thursday that the Loons had acquired midfielder Kevin Molino and goalkeeper Patrick McLain from Orlando City SC in a trade for $450,000 General Allocation Money and $200,000 Targeted Allocation Money.

http://www.mnufc.com/post/2017/01/26/molino-and-mclain-make-move-mnufc

So how does this roster look?

2. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Youtube highlight clips on John Alvbage:

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm liking it. It lacks the flash of Atlanta, of course, but flash isn't our style. It seems solid, and I think we'll surprise some teams...and fans...who are taking us too lightly.

Playoff contender? No. Not in the brutal Western Conference.

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will admit to being a novice when it comes to fully understanding MLS but I can't help start picturing the Loons flirting with a playoff spot with all our signings.

5. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As a fan it is always good to be optimistic, but it is difficult for new franchise squads to make the playoffs for the reasons of team chemistry. Other squads have an established lineup whereby they may add 1-3 new players into the mix whereas a franchise squad starts everyone from scratch. I suspect that MNUFC will lose most of their matches in the first two months until the players get to know each other better.

Having had Ibarra and Ramirez play together in the Loon's NASL matches will help, but those new players in midfield and defense have not settled with each other yet.

I would be very surprised in either Atlanta U or Minnesota U make the playoffs this first season.

NORML repped this.
  6. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 NORML, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    I'm not saying they'll make the playoffs just flirt with the idea. I can easily see at some point mid to late season the Loons being 5-9 points out of the final playoff spot.

most of the season though I expect the club to be like Brian from Fast and Furious
    [​IMG]