2017 postseason thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have at it.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Been thinking this one up for a while, but Daniel Royer has the best feet on the team, possibly in MLS. He's shown the ability to make a variety of deft touches to find teammates and create danger, that spin move goal against Chicago was just the latest example. He is also arguably the best foreign born player on the team, and one of the all-time best foreign signings. He is what we were all expecting from signing mid-level foreign talent of the likes of Veron (he gets slotted in here because, despite his DP status he has yet to live up to the hype), Keita, Gulbrandsen, Damari, etc. That list is long and for the most part disappointing and undistinguished. Lloyd Sam came on a had a good couple of years, but was never this stellar, recently. But, I have a hard time thinking of a foreign acquisition who was such a pleasant surprise.

3. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Hope Kemar is 100%. Dropoff from him to Lade is significant. Other than Veron, I'm hoping we don't have to rely on our bench.

4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Thread title should Running with the Bulls: Playoff heartbreak tour 2017. cuz we all know they will break hearts.

We have no bench. The less we see of Lade and others the better. We must the thinest team around.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, just discovered this thread! Better late than never.

I'm going to tonight's match on a somewhat last-minute impulse buy. Thank you SeatGeek!

I don't know about the team, but I figure I can't lose. It's either the last chance I have to see us at home, or a chance to see us upset the best team in the country. :D

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    ridiculous that Jozy knocks down long and no call but Felipe fouled Giovinco with equal to less contact and they get a free kick that leads to a goal

Woodrow repped this.
  7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Giovinco is a protected player and he is tugging and pulling down Murillo, no problem until our guy swings an arm.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have no one to blame but ourselves. Every year it’s “oh it’s the format, oh it’s we don’t have any luck, oh it’s the ref.”

No. We came out flat and scared in the first half and gave up a stupid stupid goal early on. Our big players didn’t show up...again.

Stupid mistakes. Players not showing up. Same old Metro.

Deadtigers and NorthBank repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly this is true. But this time, following closely after the best-of-season(?) performance in Chicago, you could be excused for having slightly higher hopes tonight. Me and the guy sitting next to me did. But then the first half took nearly all of that wind out of our sails.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newsday hasn't even written a couple of sentences about the two playoff games like they usually do, and the sports on TV listings didn't list last night's game.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Serious question, have we ever won a playoff game at RBA? I can't remember ever leaving one happy.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Oh, and Jozy upset fans booed him since he got his start here. Last night I never once even considered that it had anything to do with leaving the club and thought it was 100% about the US failure. I had even forgotten Bradley was a Metro it was so long ago.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes of course we have! 2 years ago against DCU. And of course quite a few times before.

That said, last night was pathetic. Especially the first half, OMG. We finally came to life late in the game, but it was too little too late.

Dug ourselves a mighty big hole and only a near miracle in Toronto can turn it around.

Deadtigers and miggly repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I can't remember that booing before either. I thought it was odd. So your theory about it being related to the USA WCQ debacle is interesting.

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm 100% certain. The F-you Jozy (and Bradley) is not something I would do, but Jozy has no claim to moral high ground. Has Jozy even come back to this area just to hang out, or do some kind of big event? Not that I can remember. He left under good terms, but he also left to pursue a bigger paycheck in Europe. And when he returned to MLS, he came in at a premium price that outweighed his actual success abroad, not to mention his level of play since returning. Both him and Michael have fallen off since coming back here, but he's not above whining about how hard it is.

While there were f-bombs and boos for those two, I think the general mood of fans is not good. This team has been a bust in the postseason for too long, and frankly their overall performance this year has been pretty meh, which if giving Marsch the reigns leads to this, it doesn't bode very well for this club's prospects for the future. They need to do a core rebuild, neither Sascha or Felipe have been up to the task for much of this year, and they need a bona fide stud centerback to pair with Long. The "wow" moments have been few and far between this year.

miggly repped this.
  16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I come in peace.....but I had just read a local story about the "upset" and it would appear the only person upset about the F.....Jozy/Bradley stuff is our head coach Vanney.

What Jozy is upset about, it seems, is that some (one? I really can't tell) sitting near the Toronto bench took it beyond booing and F-bombing to some commentary on his religious beliefs and upbringing.

Again, not looking to get into a big debate here but came here to see what (if any) reaction/commentary there was to the whole thing because it did not seem "right" to me that the booing itself was at the root of Jozy's problem.....I was in Atlanta the week before and their fans booed louder/longer/more consistently and nothing was made of it.

Anyway, if you are interested, here is the local coverage/comments/interview......

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...acceptable-theres-a-line-about-being-personal

Anyway, all the best on Sunday.....hoping for a good match!

17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #17 Woodrow, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Fair enough, appreciate the info. Jozy certainly stoked the fires with his postgame interview, but that does help clarify to what offense he was actually speaking.

I would also add that the circle of madness to which NYRB fans have descended may well originate with NYCFC fans showing up at the Arena and doing it first. That's not an excuse, and I would even question why Red Bull supporters would take their cues from the idiots across the river. City fans did it and IIRC the New England fans did it too. It's just adding another layer of obscenity onto a pretty miserable season. But that season did include Jozy, Mike and the Nats laying a big egg at the Arena, in front of what could/should be a friendly crowd. This crowd doesn't give an easy ride to anyone, even the club's own players, and if anything the recent seasons of winning in the regular season, have only increased expectations for a deep run in the playoffs. Yet this club still seems to find the postseason a complete mystery. None of us are in a good place.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no place for anything that crosses the line. Period.

Boos, profanity, clever posters hey it’s a sporting event. If you’ve never experienced any of that then you’ve been living in a cave.

HOWEVER, if indeed someone(s) was/were crossing that line then they should be banned for life. Our fanbase is typically well behaved on that front so I’m a little surprised that happened. I was sitting with the supporters and heard a LOT, but nothing like what is being reported.

I hope the fans were policing themselves on Monday and addressed the problem. If I ever heard any of that BS in the arena I’d grab security to pull that SOB out and kick him to the curb.

19. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game and I understood the booing to be about the performance of the national team. Even people sitting around me were commenting about the USA not qualifying and how he seemed to hustle more for Toronto than for the Nats. I personally think he might be exaggerating a little in order to get the booing toned down. Lets not forget, Bradley was booed as well and received the same F U chant and Redbull reject that Jozy did especially during that one injury break that happened in front of our SG. I think its best they keep quiet and take it. The boos will die off and the anger will fade away both sides will move on.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    How does Giovinco not get a yellow on that?

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Jozy still has last Monday on is mind tonight. And looking for some sort of revenge. He's trying to pick fights or get his own USMNT teammates kicked off by diving ridiculously. What a twat!

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45th minute and the first shot anywhere near goal. Not a good first half of footy.

p.s. Giovinco crazed & screaming at the ref and then laying both hands on him. He's pushing his luck me thinks. But let him push!

23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why is the 4th official protecting Altidore?

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What will it take for the ref and league to stop babysitting TFC!!

Woodrow repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 NorthBank, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Bradley was shown a yellow after the HT whistle. So now it's him, Jozy & Sasha on yellow. And there was a fracas in the tunnel. If the tensions stay as high as they've been, then we could easily see some ejections, and hopefully on their side. If we play 2T smart, we might just be able to nick this!

Edit: Turns out we didn't have to wait for the 2nd half!! Sasha & Jozy must've gone at it in the tunnel and they were both ejected! I'll take that trade. Sasha hasn't been as potent for us as Jozy was for them. 10-on-10 for the next little bit. Hmm...