2017 Penn State

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Dec 8, 2016.

1. MountaineerLegion

MountaineerLegion New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Based on the box score it was a very even game.

Shots
    PSU 3 9 - 12 (3)
    WVU 7 5 - 12 (6)
    Saves
    PSU 2 2 - 4
    WVU 0 2 - 2
    Corner Kicks
    PSU 2 3 - 5
    WVU 2 3 - 5
    Fouls
    PSU 3 5 - 8
    WVU 0 7 - 7

I'm curious what you folks who know soccer thought about the game (Presuming you belted out the "Let's Goooo Mountaineers" and were able to watch.) I'm trying to get a little less ignorant. Would you mind telling me where you thought we looked weak, strong, and what allowed us to squeak it out? The one thing that even I could see is your outside attackers are FAST.

Thanks in advance for the education.

2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew WVU would be tough, especially at home. Heck they didn't make it to the final last year out of sheer luck. Also, I have lots of respect for what coach I-B has been able to accomplish there. Having said that, it doesn't get any easier for PSU over their next 2 matches.

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSU vs UNC
    Date: 9-07-17
    Time: 7:00 pm EST.
    Place: University Park, PA

Video: https://www.btn2go.com/game/north-carolina-at-penn-st-on-09072017
    Stats: http://www.gopsusports.com/gametrac...ool=psu&sport=wsoccer&camefrom=&startschool=&

Quote from Coach:
    "They just put a lot of pressure on teams," Dambach said of the Tar Heels. "They press hard, they press with a lot of numbers, they attack with a lot of numbers, and so we expect them to be a big risk, big reward team."

Some Notes:
    Thursday's match marks the eighth meeting between the two programs with North Carolina leading the all-time series, 6-1-0.
    The two teams last met on Sept. 5, 2014, with North Carolina claiming a 1-0 double overtime victory.
    In the 2014 meeting, five current Nittany Lions recorded starts.
    The series against North Carolina includes a pair of meetings in the College Cup.
    The Tar Heels tallied a 2-0 victory over the Nittany Lions in the semifinal round of the 1999 College Cup and then North Carolina topped Penn State, 4-1, in the 2012 College Cup Final.

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #79 MiLLeNNiuM, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    PSU defeats UNC by a score of 1-0.

Goal by Frannie Crouse in the 7th minute, assisted by Charlotte Williams.

5. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Penn State's next test will be this Sunday at Virginia. Has anyone watched both teams and have some analysis of where the strengths and weaknesses of both team are? Also, what are your predictions for this match?

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I just saw Virginia play UCLA and lose 2-1. Virginia has talent and plays hard, very well coached, organized, but they are young and lack the scoring punch they've had in recent years. Played a pretty solid first half against the Bruins but UCLA scored earlyish in the second half and controlled the ball thereafter. I think Pa. State has a bit too much for UVA but it will be competitive.

7. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I agree. I think PSU has more attacking talent than UVA. The defenses are probably similar. However, they play different formations. UVA 3-5-2 and PSU I think more of a 4-3-3. The UVA midfield and backs are relatively strong and PSU may be outnumbered in the midfield. The UVA formation includes true "wing backs" and there a 4 of them rotating in because this is a pretty physically demanding position in this formation. Freshman Zandi is emerging as an interesting player to watch on the flank.

Crouse and Taliaferri are the PSU names to threaten, but Sheva has been very dangerous so far this year. I have never been a big Ogle fan and thought she was unable to manage the 6 in the u20 WC. I don't know if she will be able to manage the UVA midfield. I like Reihl in the back and she may be able to cover for any weakness in the midfield. They did hold UNC scoreless and I think UNC has the edge on attacking players over UVA. Emily Fox is specifically interesting.

McClernon is similarly emerging as a Player to Watch on this team. She is reminding me of Emily Sonnett. Tough, physical and skillful in the back. She did contribute to the first UCLA goal in being unaware of Sanchez lurking off her blind spot, but Sanchez is tremendous and Ivory should have offered a heads up. I think McClernon is generally reading the game well.

Prediction 2-1 PSU

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSU and UVA are tied 1-1 at the half.

Goal by Courtney Petersen, assisted by Zoe Morse, in the 3rd minute for UVA.
    Goal by Haleigh Echard, assisted by Charlotte Williams, in the 44th minute for PSU.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSU lost to UVA by a score of 3-2. Too many bad goals given up this match.

In general, PSU defense has been giving up too many goals this season.

I can't see them going too far in the tourney if they don't shore up the D.

11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Virginia played well but two of its goals were completely flukey--and the last, off a free kick, sure looked like interference with the Penn State keeper. Usually, officials call too many touch fouls on the kicking team on free kicks in the box--but in this case a UVA player plowed into Chandler, from what I could tell, and there was no call. The Penn State coaches were angry--so much so that an assistant was kicked out of the game. Virginia played a very composed game, and the N.Lions were very solid, as usual, but they seemed to lose steam in the second half. Good game, though, between two good teams.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Penn State with a 1-0 2OT win over Illinois, who was pummeled by OSU 7-0 on Thursday. I would have thought this would be an easier match for the Lions. Freigang scored with 42 seconds left.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. WoSoNut

WoSoNut New Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    And if not for Chandler's lone 1 v 1 save the Illini would have won in full time. PSU looked really flat and couldn't finish on more than 20 chances.

But then Ohio State lost to Northwestern who PSU beat 3-0 on Thursday?

Women's soccer!!

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Do any of the Penn St fans know why Frannie Crouse has not been playing lately? Injured (how bad)?

walscd repped this.
  16. walscd

walscd New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Broken collarbone- may be out for the balance of the season

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Woof. PSU the 5 seed in the big10 tourney. Quite possibly the biggest underachievement in woso since UCLAs defending championship season a few years back. Injuries happen but can they get their immense talent together quick enough to make a run in the ncaas?

MiLLeNNiuM and mpr2477 repped this.
  18. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Darn. That's awful. She will definitely be missed, as it seems scoring is a real problem lately.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Have seen them play a number of times. If they play like they did for the first 25 minutes of the UNC game, they could beat anyone (almost - I hear those PAC 12 teams are really good but haven't seen any play). Not having Crouse will hurt ... a lot. I don't expect a lot from them, however. At least not based on their efforts lately.

20. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Penn State plays predictable and robotic soccer. Overrated in my opinion.

21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #96 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Penn State advancing again on KFTM.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were close on your prediction CP.

#5 Penn State out shot #1 Ohio State by a ton (24-4) but still match went to 2OT. With seconds left in 2OT Penn State's Laura Freigang scores from a shot in front of Ohio State's goalie to win and move to final on Sunday to take on the winner of #6 Wisconsin vs #2 Northwestern!

A friend is going to upload the match to Youtube.
    Here's a link to his youtube channel (watch out for it):
    https://www.youtube.com/user/sfcpldc/videos

24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, by my updated simulation as of last night, it went from PKs to Penn State winning outright. So, I think my computer got that one exactly right.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.