2017 MLS Week 27 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Sep 5, 2017.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The assignments for Week 27 of the 2017 MLS season:

09/06/2017

New York City FC v Sporting Kansas City
    (7:30PM ET)
    REF: RICARDO SALAZAR
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    4TH: Jose Carlos Rivero
    VAR: Robert Sibiga

09/09/2017

Chicago Fire v New York Red Bulls
    Toyota Park (3:55PM ET)
    REF: ALAN KELLY
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: Eric Weisbrod
    4TH: Daniel Radford
    VAR: Jair Marrufo

Toronto FC v San Jose Earthquakes
    BMO Field (5:00PM ET)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Adam Wienckowski
    4TH: Juan Guzman
    VAR: Canada CSA

New York City FC v Portland Timbers
    Yankee Stadium (5:30PM ET)
    REF: ISMAIL ELFATH
    AR1: CJ Morgante
    AR2: Jeff Muschik
    4TH: Ted Unkel
    VAR: Geoff Gamble

DC United v Orlando City
    RFK Stadium (7:00PM ET)
    REF: DAVE GANTAR
    AR1: Eric Boria
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: Caleb Mendez
    VAR: Henrik Karlsson

New England Revolution v Montreal Impact
    Gillette Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Craig Lowry
    4TH: Apolinar Mariscal
    VAR: Baboucarr Jallow

Minnesota United v Philadelphia Union
    TCF Bank Stadium (8:00PM ET)
    REF: SORIN STOICA
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Daniel Belleau
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic

Houston Dynamo v Colorado Rapids
    BBVA Compass Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: HILARIO GRAJEDA
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Peter Balciunas
    4TH: Nima Saghafi
    VAR: Baldomero Toledo

Vancouver Whitecaps v Real Salt Lake
    BC Place (10:00PM ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Apolinar Mariscal
    4TH: Baboucarr Jallow
    VAR: Kevin Stott

09/10/2017

Columbus Crew v Sporting Kansas City
    MAPFRE Stadium (1:00PM ET)
    REF: CHRIS PENSO
    AR1: Eduardo Mariscal
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Daniel Radford
    VAR: Victor Rivas

Atlanta United v FC Dallas
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Brian Poeschel
    4TH: Mark Kadlecik
    VAR: Robert Sibiga

Seattle Sounders v LA Galaxy
    CenturyLink Field (9:00PM ET)
    REF: DREW FISCHER
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Kathryn Nesbitt
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Timothy Ford

http://proreferees.com/2017/09/05/mls-assignments-week-27/

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Sorin Stoica and crew. They get to call MLS regular season game number 5000.

mrref repped this.
  3. BTtotheP

BTtotheP Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's an ambitious turnaround, with Baboucarr Jallow at VAR in Foxboro 2.5 hours before serving as 4O in Vancouver.

JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should be Marrakchi in New England--PRO digital staff must have just made a duplication mistake when transposing.

With that said, I'm not sure Rivas is the assigned VAR in Columbus. I think that spot is actually open right now, but I might have bad information.

5. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jurisevic is finally back, although this week only as a VAR.

6. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone explain the point of PRO singling out Canada/CSA assignments in a way they never do for Americans at the exact same level?

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think it's due to fact that most Canadian referees don't have ussoccer.gameofficials.net.

I think they use a different assigning program in Canada and they just copy it.

refinDC repped this.
  8. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    That's probably true, but PRO still knows who those officials are, and PRO should list the officials' names on PRO's own weekly assignment pages.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. It's pure laziness. Most Canadians working PRO assignments do actually have USGO logins, as all PRO assigning is done in USGO. That's why their names transfer correctly to the PRO website when it gets imported on a weekly basis.

But non-PRO Canadians don't have logins and they either login as guests or receive their assignments through the CSA (like for Edmonton and Ottawa home games). PRO knows who the VAR is for that match this week, obviously, but when it gets pulled from the USGO system it reads as a guest official no one bothers to correct it.

Lucky Wilbury and refinDC repped this.
  10. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    I also think it's highly disrespectful and unprofessional from PRO. If someone is working a professional match, give them their due respect and publish their damn name. Let them enjoy it. Let the rest of the referee nerds like us enjoy it. These guys have worked through the ranks like any American in USGO has. Put their name in lights.

Separately, it seems as though Guido Gonzales was added as 4th in DC and Bardhyl Pashaj was added as 4th official in NYC. I suspect - just maybe - these are Hurricane Irma related, as Unkel and Mendez were in those spots.

refinDC, RedStar91, Mirepo and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Mirepo

Mirepo Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Exactly. It's not that hard or time consuming to manually add a few names every week. For all the good PRO has done, it's amazing how unprofessional, unethical, and disreputable they've been at times. Giving fellow referees proper recognition is a small, easily fixable example. The CBA and Alan Kelly debacle should have been handled better and was embarrassing to see. They really didn't do anything when Unkel was doxxed. And not to take anything away from those who have been given chances in the middle, but it's frustrating that the long-serving 4ths haven't been given a fair shot (it seems they're being taken advantage of)--I don't think there's a wide disparity in abilities between all of these referees so it seems almost arbitrary who is and isn't given the opportunity. Though it's clear there's more to it than that, but still.

#WebbForPROManager

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So another Albanian who has "high level" experience in Europe is given an MLS game.

Yeah PRO is definitely pushing these guys ahead of the domestic pool.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe I'm defending PRO and foreign referees, but who from the northeast should get that game with 24 hour notice that isn't already working?

I've never met Pashaj. Never seen him work. But he had a FIFA badge and apparently has done well in USL. If he's not the call, who is? Look at the people knocking on the MLS door--the options from the northeast are near nil. If you're going to bitch about Pashaj, you need a viable alternative.

Bori made one of the worst AR mistakes in years and I don't think we will see him for awhile. Maybe Pashaj will fail, too. No idea. But absent a clear alternative, it's hard to get too worked up over this.

Geko repped this.
  14. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of this just might be political cover for PRO. One of their mandates at their formation (in fact, the main justification for it) was to try and make MLS officiating as good as it is in Europe. Obviously that was BS, but PRO has made MLS officiating better, and they are always going to be open to bringing in guys from outside the US. If an American works his way through the ranks, then bombs, it is on PRO. But if they too quickly fast-track a guy with European experience (no matter how real that experience is), and he bombs, that's just the cost of doing business. Basically Walton has cover if a guy with a European badge bombs (no matter how dubious that badge was to begin with).
    There is a pretty major irony to someone complaining about PRO fast-tracking Europeans with this hashtag (unless you meant it sarcastically).

15. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Toronto FC v San Jose VAR is Yusri Rudolf tonight.

And we had a VAR RC in the 75th minute against San Jose. Was YC, upgraded to straight RC.

16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit I didn't see it first because I was expecting an elbow or something, but it's pretty clearly SFP. Studs on the leg, and you can see the leg bend. Yuck.

17. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just saw a PK and second yellow overturned with VR in Minnesota. A clear handball that was turned into a foul against Minnesota, a trifling contact IMO. Will post video when I find it to see what you guys think.

RedStar91 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    57ish minute in HOU-COL. Foul and yellow given for bad tackle (studs to the leg). Goes to VAR, stays a yellow.

IMO, through burgundy-tinted glasses, it was a no-brainer red so I'm not sure what the point of VAR is if they can't get a call that simple right. It also took far too long to come up with the wrong decision.

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Briefly saw the gif, and I have no idea why that isn't red.

Still haven't seen the actual foul that was called to nullify the penalty in Minnesota.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good result as maybe this means SFP is getting sorted out by VR now. Then again, given the other match, maybe not. The inconsistency is frustrating.

This still took way too long. Technologically, there's no reason to wait until the injury is treated fully to get the replays reviewed. This can and should be done faster. Also, I'd suggest the 4th should have had this the whole way.

More importantly, this demonstrates a potential loophole I hadn't thought of before. A substitution was allowed between the time the yellow was shown and the time that the VAR signaled the CR. What if the subbed player had been the one who committed the foul? Per the LOTG, you'd be screwed and couldn't force San Jose to play a man down. I don't think this has come up before and I wonder if anyone's thought of it. Not sure how you adjust the protocols but there needs to be something about not allowing subs while a VR if possible and/or carving out an explicit exception that in such a scenario, the team plays down and the new player comes off the field.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoica has to have had a different angle to overturn that, right? Right?!

Regardless, if a slight push in the back is clear and obvious enough to overturn a PK, does that mean the exact same sort of push would have resulted in a PK? The answer, of course, is no. And that's a huge problem. It supports the argument that VR is mostly taking goals away.

I thought Stoica made a great, gutsy and correct call initially. And technology helped him over-think it unless there's some other angle that shows an obvious two-handed shove.

jarbitro and JasonMa repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little less late and a little lower than the San Jose one. I think that's the only way you can say it's not clearly and obviously a miss. It's probably an 80/20 red. So while it would be totally justified if given live, I can understand not giving it on replay based on the standard. However, the fact that it was tagged by the VAR shows he thought it was clear and obvious so it shows the inconsistency within the match. And the arbitrary nature match to match is evident. Plus, the process here was ugly--I don't understand why Grajeda would still be taking information after he does the OFR.

The players do not like this. That is apparent. I waver back and forth on the effectiveness of VR, but for the first time I believe there's a chance it will be scrapped or greatly reduced after 2018. If you have situations like this and the Minnesota one in Russia, nobody is going to leave happy. It will hurt the game.

RedStar91 and JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the HOU-COL game on mute while also watching Washington-Montana (American football). Watching that whole VAR incident with no sound really made the inefficiency of the whole process stand out. What was with all the mic discussion after reviewing the footage?

RedStar91 and MassachusettsRef repped this.