2017 MLS Week 20 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Jul 18, 2017.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    07/19/2017

Montreal Impact v Philadelphia Union
    Stare Saputo (7:30PM ET)
    REF: ALAN KELLY
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Mark Kadlecik

New York Red Bulls v San Jose Earthquakes
    Red Bull Arena (7:30PM ET)
    REF: FOTIS BAZAKOS
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Kermit Quisenberry
    4TH: Robert Sibiga

New York City v Toronto
    Yankee Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: JORGE GONZALEZ
    AR1: Jose Da Silva
    AR2: Danny Thornberry
    4TH: Jose Carlos Rivero

Minnesota United v Houston Dynamo
    TCF Bank Stadium (8:00PM ET)
    REF: SILVIU PETRESCU
    AR1: Joe Fletcher
    AR2: Adam Wienckowski
    4TH: Juan Guzman

LA Galaxy v Vancouver Whitecaps
    StubHub Center (10:30PM ET)
    REF: RICARDO SALAZAR
    AR1: Peter Manikowski
    AR2: Nick Uranga
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal

Portland Timbers v Real Salt Lake
    Providence Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    AR1: Eduardo Mariscal
    AR2: Mike Kampmeinert
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz

Seattle Sounders v D.C. United
    CenturyLink Field (10:30PM ET)
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Ian Anderson
    4TH: Baboucarr Jallow

07/21/2017

Orlando City v Atlanta United
    Orlando City Stadium (7:00PM ET)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Brian Poeschel

07/22/2017

New York City v Chicago Fire
    Yankee Stadium (2:00PM ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Gianni Facchini
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz

Minnesota United v New York Red Bulls
    TCF Bank Stadium (4:00PM ET)
    REF: HILARIO GRAJEDA
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Anthony Vasoli
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo

D.C. United v Houston Dynamo
    RFK Stadium (7:00PM ET)
    REF: MARCOS DEOLIVEIRA
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Jonathan Johnson
    4TH: Mark Kadlecik

Toronto FC v Colorado Rapids
    BMO Field (7:00PM ET)
    REF: JUAN GUZMAN
    AR1: Craig Lowry
    AR2: Peter Balciunas
    4TH: Ricardo Salazar

Columbus Crew v Philadelphia Union
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: SILVIU PETRESCU
    AR1: Philippe Briere
    AR2: Eric Boria
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos

Montreal Impact v FC Dallas
    Stare Saputo (7:30PM ET)
    REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: Jeff Muschik
    AR2: Kevin Klinger
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez

New England Revolution v LA Galaxy
    Gillette Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: JORGE GONZALEZ
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Eric Weisbrod
    4TH: Guido Gonzales Jr

Real Salt Lake v Sporting Kansas City
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10:00PM ET)
    REF: NIMA SAGHAFI
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Apolinar Mariscal
    4TH: Daniel Radford

07/23/2017

Vancouver Whitecaps v Portland Timbers
    BC Place (6:30PM)
    REF: CHRIS PENSO
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Ian Anderson

Seattle Sounders v San Jose Earthquakes
    CenturyLink Field (10:30PM ET)
    REF: ALAN KELLY
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Jeffrey Hosking
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal

http://proreferees.com/2017/07/18/mls-assignments-week-20/

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jallow is 4th in Seattle tomorrow, 4th in Orlando on Friday, and 4th in Vancouver on Sunday. Does someone need to get a map for PRO headquarters? I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

In unrelated (or possibly related) news, Gonzales Jr. gets his first MLS match as a 4th in New England this weekend. My understanding is that the Gold Cup, planned vacations, international friendlies, and a crowded MLS calendar meant PRO had to move outside the regular roster for this week. While it might be a one-off assignment, Gonzales Jr. will probably be a name you see in the VAR assignments soon and MLS generally in future seasons.

3. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was worried it was a typo when I first saw his two back to backs, then thought there was no way he had a 3rd in 4 days. Then to actually realize the travel involved... At least he'll have a lot of frequent flier miles!

4. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    Jallow is based in the greater Seattle area - so you're really just talking about traveling back and forth to Orlando. Not without some risk but not that crazy.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know where he's based. It doesn't matter (and it's sort of the whole point--see below). You have two cross-country flights with no rest days. What if he has to step in? What if there are flight issues?

I know there were other factors this week. But the only reason to work someone three matches like this, with two in his home region, is to save the local travel costs. PRO pays for one round trip ticket to get three games covered, rather than sending someone else to Vancouver Sunday (if you stipulate that Jallow is needed in Orlando Friday). It's a minor detail, but it shows how cheap PRO tends to be.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a strong case for two different offside infractions. First, I think the goal scorer is offside off of Spencer's header to him (although the angle we have is terrible, his feet appear more inside the goal area and the header comes from just inside the goal area, and its headed forward). But....that wouldn't require a conference. Since they got together and talked, I'm guessing the AR saw Spencer as onside on the initial cross, but offside *IF* Cheyrou made contact with the cross, and flicked it on. Again, its too hard to tell on replay that contact was made, but if it looks like it might have been, and if it was, it was offside. There is no way the AR can tell if there was contact, so he asks the referee. Apparently Gonzales saw the header and was sure there was contact. Each person had half of the puzzle, so they put it together, and its offside.

IASocFan and seattlebeach repped this.
  8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Chapman, not Cheyrou.

And if you look at the (possible) touch by #14 to #19, there's a defender still ahead of them (closer to the goal line). As such, I don't think that would be the issue...

The #19 _back_ to #14 is the harder one to tell, the angles currently available are all crap, and no still shot clearly shows the precise positioning of the two players.

It's a tough (if not completely impossible) call to make from our POV, and the optics of this particular decision were poor (at best). That flag goes up right away, rather than after several defenders mob the referee, there's nobody really complaining.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some questions (not complaints, just curiosities) about the process, but the important thing is that the call was right. #14, the goalscorer, is in front of the ball and his teammate, #19, when the crucial touch comes. I know our angle isn't the best, but I think from the parallel lines on the field this is pretty certain--look at how far #14 is extended into the goal area at the point #19 heads the ball.

If I were guessing, I'd imagine the confusion came because Thornberry is looking through #19's body when the ball ricochets off #14 into the net. If he isn't sure the final touch came from #14, rather than a deflection of the goalkeeper, that would prompt the need for the conference (though it could--maybe should?--have been done over the mics in this case).

I don't think a professional AR would have questions about #19 being offside there, so I wouldn't agree with the explanation above about that. But I could be wrong.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No comments on the Portland-RSL match? Three red cards from Toledo.

11. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    20205671_10155379609436425_797094434_o.png

From this pic, it shows both TFC players onside.

I guess my question was more towards how did Gonzalez came to conclusion to waive the goal off? He took a sweet ass long time after having discussions. He initially didn't call it. AR didn't raise the flag for offside.
    So... 4th official? How could he have made an offside call? Ghost VAR? Mysteries...

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, you realize #14 is like 3 feet off the ground in that photo, right?

You picked a photo that shows the offside line at a 90 degree angle and two-dimensionally. It couldn't possibly be more favorable to #14 and, still, it only shows him as being even.

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    you're right. i didn't take into account that Chapman is jumping.

jarbitro and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  16. ubelmann

ubelmann New Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Jun 16, 2017
    They all seemed pretty reasonable. I'm sure some refs would find a way to keep Arboleda around after that elbow, but it looked to have a little extra in it at the end of the sequence. And it's hard to see from the replay angle, but it seems likely that Beckerman came in and hit Adi with a cheap shot elbow. And Adi's barge into Beckerman is always going to be a send-off.

What I noticed more than anything in those highlights is that Beckerman spits in front of Toledo after the send-off. That looked worthy of extra discipline, IMO.

17. ubelmann

ubelmann New Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Jun 16, 2017
  18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller is an idiot. That was an easy call.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my only question is whether or not Toledo sends off Beckerman without Adi's reaction. Yes, he whistles after Adi stops, so he recognized the foul. And it's an elbow/forearm at the ribs. But I don't know if it rises to the level of VC on its own.

Yes. This could be a problem for Beckerman:

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 MassachusettsRef, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Meh. You could give it and you couldn't. In a match with a single caution for dissent, would anyone really be asking for it if Sarvas wasn't the one on the yellow already and/or Lodeiro reacted the way he did?

This is an example of what makes soccer refereeing both difficult for referees and maddening for players/fans. There are plenty of situations where managing Sarvass kick without a card would be lauded by most, but because Lodeiro reacts and because Sarvas is on a yellow, you get questions about why both aren't sent off. It's sort of the opposite result of the Beckerman/Adi situation, when you think about it.

21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Kicking someone who is on the ground while play was stopped is something that could be argued is a good thing to ignore if not for someone reacting to getting kicked?

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had edited my post, apparently during your reply, to say "managing" because "ignore" was too strong. But, the short answer is still "no," because I didn't say that and, quite frankly, you seem to be making up a couple key facts.

First, he kicked the ball into him. He did not kick him.

Second, if the whistle has gone before the kick of the ball happens, it's by milliseconds, so it's wrong to say play was stopped. Could Sarvas be expected to anticipate the whistle for the foul? Maybe. And was the kick unnecessary regardless, given where the ball was going? Of course. But play wasn't stopped when he started to kick the ball.

If a player deliberately kicks another play while play is stopped, it should almost always be a red card. But there's a lot more nuance here. I might still have a yellow card, depending on many other factors. I'm just saying you wouldn't always have a card for this, so Stott's call is defensible--just as a 2CT would be defensible. But very few people would be raising this if Lodeiro didn't react and if Sarvas wasn't the only player in the match on a yellow. Let's pretend for a moment that neither of those things were true and the only thing that happened here is the foul call and Sarvas' kick...

Stott recognizes what's happening, rushes in, pulls Sarvars aside, tells him that he's lucky he only kicked the ball and he's cutting him a break because it was just as the whistle went. But that's the end of his rope and his final warning. Would people say Stott blew the call? Would some--perhaps many--praise his management techniques? I think so. Not saying it's what I would do or that it would always be the right answer. I'm just saying this is a borderline decision where a referee has options and the only reason anyone is complaining is because Lodeiro then got himself sent off and a yellow for Sarvas would have evened things up. Hey, maybe that's a reason to send Sarvas (see Toledo/Beckerman above). But not all referees think the same on things like this.

23. ubelmann

ubelmann New Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Jun 16, 2017
    I agree with this 100%. The two situations are pretty parallel. I doubt either Beckerman or Sarvas get more than an AC without the subsequent reactions from Adi and Lodeiro. The Lodeiro/Sarvas situation at least goes to show that retaliation comes with its own risks.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Sarvas knew the play was dead when he kicked Lodeiro/the ball. It was purposefully done to antagonize Lodeiro.

That wasn't a play on the ball a player makes when play is still going.

If this happened without any context and Lodeiro never lashed out. I see the point about a ref letting it slide with a Stern warning.

Maybe Stott could have done more to protect Lodeiro throughout the game and the flash point never happens.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but not everything done to antagonize an opponent always rises to the level of misconduct.

Mostly yes. Sometimes a player will do that to be a pain if, let's say, Lodeiro had gone down without a foul being called. Still done to antagonize, but done while the ball is in play.

Okay, and that's my big point here. If it can be managed without the retaliation, then a referee has a big question to answer about how he should handle given the retaliation. There's no official playbook for this type of thing and, again, given the similarities in the incidents you can easily argue Stott and Toledo took diametrically opposite approaches.

Well, that sounds like you have issues with the officiating outside this play, which I can't comment on.