2017 MLS Week 17 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Jun 21, 2017.

1. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    However it plays out, embarrassing night for Stoica.

2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think ultimately that was the correct decision, but bad optics. Lot of credit to Medunjudin for speaking up. Didn't agree with PK decision either. Really tough for Onyewu to get out of the way.

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Why did you reply to my video of the handball call?

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the DisCo is going to be a little busy this week.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Looked like he moved his arm towards the ball.

7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    onyewu.jpg

That is a PK every day of the week. His arm is out and he is leaning down into it. He wanted to catch it off his chest but it curls into his upper arm. If he doesn't lean into it then it doesn't hit him and there is no PK.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Credit to Stoica for doing the right thing. I imagine there are many who would not have done so.

In tennis, something like this used to be much more common in the "old days".

Nice tweak by Medunjanin on Felipe :D. On last week's play, he went down like he got shot.

billf repped this.
  9. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
  10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's the first DOGSO red card for a leg foul we've seen in MLS. I think it's correct.

There's an interesting question of advantage on this incident. I believe it's negated because the other attacker is offside (can't be sure, but certainly looks like it). However, with the timing of the whistle it's really hard to tell if the crew just got lucky that the second attacker was offside or the AR was in Salazar's ear immediately and they reacted to that fact.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Toledo was right there (you can see him in the perfect position in this GIF). He didn't pull out the red card, but I've seen the DisCo issue suspensions for less.

878825338800709632 is not a valid tweet id

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that's the less likely to see a suspension than anything else I've seen this week.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If not playing the ball and scissoring straight into the player is better than the other things you've seen this week, I think I'll avoid watching the highlights. Ouch.

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily better, just less likely to be retroactively suspended IMO. There were some doozies this week, tho. Check out Colorado's first yellow.

AndyMead and JasonMa repped this.
  15. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    There is another player between him and the contact. He may have been partially screened. It will be interesting to see if the Disco issues a suspension (I certainly think they should).

16. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...rescind-red-card-instant-replay?autoplay=true

Really curious as to how many of these plays the VAR intervenes and over rules/changes the decision on the field. I'd argue more than half of them.

Borg cracks me up sometimes. I don't know how he thinks Colin's stamp on Villa is considered a clean play and going for the ball.

He also doesn't think a bicycle kick to the face with cleats making contact with a soft surface is not a red card because he was "clearly trying to bicycle the ball" and not the defenders face....

Same thing with the missed DOGSO in Chicago by the goal keeper. How he doesn't think it's DOGSO is beyond me...

Not really surprised so many bad tackles were missed considering the referees just saw a fellow colleague blasted by the media and thrown under the bus by PRO and MLS a few weeks ago for giving red cards for tackles.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wasnt the PK in the Van-Mn match also a red for DOGSO?

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it was an attempt to play the ball. I've got a lot of issues with the new DOGSO rule and its application, but that foul is a prime example of why things were changed and a perfectly correct application of the Law.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Ten seconds in and he's totally lost me. At least a yellow on that.

The replay angles in Instant Replay now suggest the other attacker was definitely onside. Wonder how that affects things for the crew, because play could have gone on, a goal could have been scored, and the red would have been avoided. Could be a very interesting play for PotW but might be a little bit too complicated/nuanced for a more public audience. Definitely a good instructional clip, though.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I should have waited to comment until I saw this. That's unbelievable. The miss itself is unfortunate, but how anyone can look at that and say it's not a red... it defies all logic.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I've seen this, I'm going to have to disagree and--quite reluctantly and ironically--say that Borg has a point.

Watch the Atlanta player as the tackle is made. He doesn't just step into it. He pretty much steps on the Colorado player and appears to do so deliberately in my view. This incident is much more complicated than a simple bad tackle and it honestly looks like the Atlanta player uses the sole of his right boot to stamp on the Colorado player's groin or calf (hard to determine point of contact).

Now, the tackle was stupid and close to unnecessary, given the position on the field. But I don't have SFP. I also am not going to come up with a VC red for the Atlanta player unless I can be 100% sure, and I'm obviously not. Given the totality of the incident and the expectation of what was seen on the field, I've got no problem with a yellow card for a reckless tackle.

If we're ranking bad challenges this week, I've got the one on Feilhaber and the one by Ibson well ahead of this one.

jarbitro, AndyMead and JasonMa repped this.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one on Feilhaber would have been a red even back in the bad old days of the late 70s and early 80s. It's an awful play.

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my personal opinion is that they're all red.

But what about the DisCo? There's a potentially-affected match tonight and we've heard....nothing?

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured here had to be some kind of change. I expected a red, but when there wasn't even any discussion and little protest I figured the rules are different.

Later, after my post, I watched my recording of the Seattle match and achieved enlightenment.