2017 MLS Week 16 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Jun 13, 2017.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    06/17/2017

New York City v Seattle Sounders
    Yankee Stadium (1:00pm ET)
    REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Jorge Gonzalez

Atlanta United v Columbus Crew
    Bobby Dodd Stadium (7:00pm ET)
    REF: RICARDO SALAZAR
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Peter Balciunas
    4TH: Mark Kadlecik

New England Revolution v Chicago Fire
    Gillette Stadium (7:30pm ET)
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: Philippe Briere
    AR2: Craig Lowry
    4TH: Sorin Stoica

Orlando City v Montreal Impact
    Orlando City Stadium (7:30pm ET)
    REF: CHRIS PENSO
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Kathryn Nesbitt
    4TH: Caleb Mendez

Toronto FC v DC United
    BMO Field (8:00pm ET)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu

San Jose Earthquakes v Sporting Kansas City
    Avaya Stadium (9:00pm ET)
    REF: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Baboucarr Jallow

Colorado Rapids v Portland Timbers
    Dick's Sporting Goods Park (9:30pm ET)
    REF: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Jonathan Johnson
    4TH: Nima Saghafi

Vancouver Whitecaps v FC Dallas
    BC Place (10:00pm ET)
    REF: ALAN KELLY
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Jeffrey Hosking
    4TH: Younes Marrakchi

Real Salt Lake v Minnesota United
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10:00pm ET)
    REF: MARCOS DEOLIVEIRA
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Eric Weisbrod
    4TH: Juan Guzman

LA Galaxy v Houston Dynamo
    StubHub Center (11:00pm ET)
    REF: HILARO GRAJEDA
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal

06/18/2017

Philadelphia Union v New York Red Bulls
    Talen Energy Stadium (5:00pm ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    4TH: Ted Unkel

http://www.proreferees.com/2017-mls-regular-season-assignments---week-16.php

2. Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Is it interesting to anyone else that Robert Sibiga keeps getting centers? This past weekend a red card that doesn't look like a red card (I haven't seen a good replay). Two weeks ago he had a game where he kept reversing his decisions and looked anything but in a position of authority. And Ted Unkel has a 4th.

3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the red card but yes the Atlanta @ Vancouver game was pretty horrible. That being said PRO isn't going to bench a referee for one bad performance. We've all had them. That is the old school MLS merry go round of referee assigning. Give people 1 or 2 shots and if they don't do well they are done forever. You can't develop anyone in any industry that way.

4. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the red card was justified, but also that his previous game was a howler for sure. The Unkel assignment was probably done a while ago (pre Orlando). I'm actually surprised Pro didn't change it to put him in the middle this week. Also, Penso is a good guy for that Orlando game. Interesting to see if its just another day in the park, or it will be an extra-strict day in the park. I bet Kreis will be on good behavior.

5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PRO giving Unkel a whistle would have suprised me. I mean you can only flip a waffle so many times right. Kind of like opinions.

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penso won't why away from making the unpopular call, that's for sure. Sent off two Orlando players in last year's home opener if I recall.

7. bbReferee

bbReferee New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm pretty sure that during a game in LA (last season maybe) they had Don Garber or a PRO rep on at halftime. The question was asked - how come we don't see referees penalized or suspended like we do players? The answer was something like - the collective bargaining agreement calls for assignments to be made 4-5 weeks in advance so any punishment (not being assigned OR being assigned to a less "primetime" game) is not seem immediately.

Not sure about the validity of that statement or if anyone has better info, but that's what I recall hearing. Could be why we see a referee who had a tough game last week in a prime center again this week.

8. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Just because we can't see the assignments publicly doesn't mean the referees don't know their assignments 3-5 weeks out.

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Also it looks like in the 22nd minute NYCFC had a legitimate penalty that was not called, but I can't find a replay to show on here.

11. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I am confused by Vancouver's equalizer against Dallas. The foul appeared to be for "dangerous play". I don't believe Barrios actually made contact. Yet the freekick was not indicated as indirect and the freekick resulted in a goal. Play in question is around the 72'

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call from Chapman today. IMG_20170618_195040.jpg

frankieboylampard repped this.
  13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was watching some highlights and didn't recognize Marcos DeOliveira on the RSLvMIN game. Was this one of the trial games for the season? Anyone have a report on how he performed?

14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Haven't seen the play, but with the changes to Law 12, could it have been considered a careless challenge (contact not necessarily required) which is now a DFK? It seems to me that some of what used to be PIADM can fall within that construct, meaning I think we are likely to see fewer PIADM than we used to -- tough to measure given how rarely PIADM is ever called at high levels.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  15. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I was at Rio Tinto and caught most of the game - nothing controversial I can remember, the entire game was pretty sleepy (and the second half mostly took place in one half). Seemed just fine.

16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onside if Villarreal touched it. Did he? Grajeda had to have thought so to give the goal. IMG_20170619_140502.jpg

17. Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards New Member

Jun 7, 2017

Simon weighs in, and he covers the two plays Penalty Decisions in NYCFC vs Seattle that I mentioned.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity, would anyone actually give Gordon two yellows for his goal celebration (last clip in the video)?

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord no.

socal lurker and JasonMa repped this.
  20. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeOliveira was one of the referees who worked during the referee strike three years ago. Honestly, he was probably the best of those officials, and he certainly was the most in-shape. After that he started doing MLS 4ths and a handful of middles. I bet he'll see five or six middles this year.

21. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 more, 3 more at most.

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I'd be more curious to know how many referee's would have ignored the celebration altogether if he had already had a yellow.

I bet the number isn't as low as it should be.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shirt removal cannot be ignored and wouldn't have been. For a professional referee, the number is 0.

Now, let's say he didn't remove the shirt since he was already on a yellow and went over to the fans to celebrate, like he did. The number there is harder to gauge. My understanding is that there are instructions/clarifications that have been coming from FIFA on being a little more liberal in defining what a "fence" is, because the application has gone away from the provision's intended point.

My point here is that I think he only was guilty of the shirt provision anyway and Simon Borg is barking up the wrong tree in suggesting otherwise (note he never quotes the provisions he's referring to). The LOTG says "climbs on a perimeter fence"--he didn't really do that as he didn't climb on anything at all. He stood up on some steps that happened to have a gate in front of them. If he didn't remove the shirt, I'd be hard-pressed to give a yellow here unless he took a long time returning to the field.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For clarification, at the end of every(?) set of stairs between the sections in the stands at DSG Park there's a gate and steps down to field level.