2017 MLS Regular Season Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jason1551, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm sure they do, but the global standard is that you loan to a club. The parent club has some input over the handling of their player. They're loaning to a specific soccer environment. This is probably spelled out clearly in the loan contract.

If we start using loaned players as trade chips, other leagues may stop loaning to us. That's not a good product for the player. Having to move once in a season is already disruptive. Nobody wants 2, 3 moves in a season.

2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That was my thought as well when you factor in purchase price and salary. He's a tam player that they're making a dp effort on.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powers-Gil trade got done.

Orlando gets Powers and keeps Gil's cap hit
    Colorado gets Gil,. keeps Powers' cap hit, and gets $100K in TAM

Colorado also takes over Orlando's spot in the loan deal with his Mexican club. Colorado now has the rights to buy him at the end of the season. If they exercise those rights they send $100K of TAM to Salt Lake since Salt Lake owned his rights when he returned to the league. If they choose not to buy him they send $50K of TAM to Salt Lake and Salt Lake then reclaims the right of first refusal on Gil.

Essentially Orlando and Salt Lake agreed to $50K for Orlando to get the rights to Gil for the season-long loan, $100K if Orlando decided to buy him at the end fo the season. That price was transferred to Colorado as part of the deal but Orlando threw in the TAM to cover it (probably because Gil has about half the cap hit thet Powers does).

Really, since Powers is reportedly out of contract at the end of the season, this is a chance for both teams to try out a new player for 10+ games and to have first dibs on re-singing them if they want, no strings attached if they just want to move on after the season.

4. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #258 ArsenalMetro, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Yet another example of why moving to Mexico as a young player is a Very Bad Idea.

Anyway, who needs a goalkeeper? The only team in the league that doesn't already have at least three on the roster is, funny enough, Dallas.

9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the answer to your question is apparently Chicago Fire. It also looks like Dallas passed over Sanchez...

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Makes sense since their goalkeepers...aren't to the standard of the rest of the team, put gently.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #262 superdave, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    I get the argument that DC is overpaying for Arriola. I'm not so sure that's true. The TAM went way up. It's like NBA contracts whenever a new TV deal with a big increase hits the salary cap. Suddenly, every team has tons more money, but there aren't that many free agents. So there's a high supply of dollars chasing a limited supply of talent. In that specific market, teams aren't overpaying.

The difference is that with the NBA, the way it works, it's usually a one year deal...once everyone has spent to the cap in the one year a new TV deal hits, the subsequent years have more stable markets.

This new boost in TAM is going to be there next year too.

Based on the market from as recently as this past March, DC really overpaid. In today's market, maybe, maybe not.
    Exactly. Don't understand what Burns is trying to do. I mean, they already have Rowe, Nguyen, and Fagundez, a pretty formidable trio of AMs, with Bunbury as a sub. To my eye, they already have 1 surplus "MLS starter" level player between the AMs and the strikers, unless they're trying to win all their games 4-3. Adding Nemeth is pointless.

Unless the idea is that Fagundez or someone might get transferred to Europe.

deejay, Ismitje and sitruc repped this.
  13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Taken by parts it's obviously just part of the market adjustment we're going through. The Dax McCarty trade was really informative for everybody. Chicago put up 400k in GarberBucks but it didn't cripple their ability to deal one bit. They had plenty left over and have completely done a worst to first. So $500k for an experienced 22 year old looking to be on the verge of the WC roster is pretty in line with the new values.

In addition $3 million for the same player in the international market is a little high but not completely outside of expectations. The real driver for that figure was the interest from teams in Netherlands and Portugal. Multiple suitors means a higher price. Now typically this is not something we've seen for a young American but it's not outrageous for a young player from any other country.

Simply said, young NT players have a lot more value these days.

Boloni86 and superdave repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point.

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is all business as normal in the rest of the world. It's MLS that has been operating on a shoestring for quite a while. Now so many positive things are happening at once that the market is in a constant state of change. I think though that the teams that are buying now are actually doing the smart thing. Once those Adidas dollars hit the budget there will be twice as many competitors for the top players.

BassNFool repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Also, I don't believe the DC line that with the stadium set they are ready to invest. I think it's the SUM distribution from Copa America. If the USSF got a windfall of 50 million you can bet your last dollar that SUM got a nice share of that pie. All told, CA 2016 generated 400m in revenue. All of that money passed through SUM's hands.

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I do. They were having to spend millions renting out RFK. With that no longer being necessary and the guarantee of actual stadium profits, it makes sense to invest now and build for next year. Most would argue they should have done it sooner (and I would as well), but it bodes well for the offseason when the team will have even more resources available.

BassNFool and The Franchise repped this.
  18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sporting announced today they signed James Musa from their USL team.

19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without a good stadium deal, a sports franchise is just marking time, trying to lose as little money as possible. The return on investment is just worse without ancillary revenue.

Nearly all rentals are bad deals, and DC was the worst in the league, certainly so since Avaya opened. Long before that it was still among the worst.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Color me skeptical. That ownership group has been very tight fisted. That stadium is a year from completion. I don't think they would have ponied up the money except that it fell on their laps.

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    But the money hasn't even been dispersed yet. The 2018 season is supposed to see teams get more GAM/TAM, so money being spent now is because owners want to spend. Goff had an article on the subject a day or two ago, and DC's acquisition of Arriola and push for Medel are pretty clear examples that Thorir, et al, are finally ready to spend. I think people are just shocked that the owners actually did something and spent their own money on a player rather than resort to GAM/TAM. But if they can finally see the light at the end of the table with a stadium, then they know they can invest now and recoup the spending with a more competitive and watchable team when it opens.

22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a thought: perhaps the reason the deal took a while to go through was that Queretaro had to approve it? It may well be that some loans to MLS clubs allow trades contingent on parent club approval.

Boloni86 repped this.
  23. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Too late to shut the barn door known as Travis Worra this season.

Thx,

Jay!