2017 Matchday #15: Union v Red Bulls, June 18, 2017 (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Union42, Jun 17, 2017.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union vs. RBNY

Poll closed Jun 18, 2017.
  1. Win

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Loss

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Draw

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I felt bad for the couple in front of me with an infant. They were in their seats in that heat for like 20 minutes before they gave up.

thomas19064 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't imagine with an infant.... my daughter will be two in August and it was a real struggle getting to the 87th.

3. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch as I was attending the U2 concert last night...looks like that was to correct decision on how to spend my Sunday night.

breslinp repped this.
  4. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I made hummus and grilled eggplant. New recipe with basil and walnuts added to the hummus. Like a poor man's pesto, but also with chickpeas.

Good stuff. Didn't even remember there was a game on until 9:30 when I checked on here. Glad I spared myself that. I was in a good mood last night, didn't want to spoil it.

LimeTree, OwlSaver, LuckyStriker and 2 others repped this.
  5. Kevin1813

Kevin1813 New Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    May 24, 2017
    Absolutely. We need a dangerous number 10 desperately. If we're not going to sign a DP number 10 this season, pretty soon we should just start Alberg every game so he can rack up some goals to be sold in the offseason. I can't wait until Ilsinho's contract is up.

6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    From what I hear around me it isn't that the passes are poor, it is that the player receiving the pass needs to run faster. I think I need noise cancelling headphones for Union games from here on out.

jaykoz3, LuckyStriker and thomas19064 repped this.
  7. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union can't win...with or without you...

8. US Spurs

US Spurs Member

May 3, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Bloody Sunday

9. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel numb.

UnionDues and Phillyspur repped this.
  10. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was always hoping for a real club, but I still haven't found.......what I'm looking for............

LiverpoolFanatic and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were sold a dream and all we got was a .... LEMON.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  12. UnionTillIDie

UnionTillIDie Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Section CI
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    At this rate, I would much rather watch The Unforgettable Fire then this team this year!

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waste of a Sunday afternoon/evening. Horrible game. Without Bedoya, the midfield just plain struggles. And let's not act like Redbull was all that much better then the Union either, they were crap even after being up a man.

Quick Thoughts:

Epps needs to go back to Bethlehem Steel, he was ok against a USl side but the MLS "Bright Lights" are still too much for him.

Redbulls pressure was forcing our defenders to make dangerous and rushed passes all game

Gaddis is still net zero player: for every good play he makes, he makes an equally bad play

If Rosenberry isn't going to play, at least have him get minutes with Steel to knock the rust off.

Bedoya is correct: Felipe is a complete ass.

Chapman: Typical Pro referee. Inconsistent to the core. IMO the red was weak, mainly because he let so many obvious fouls go up til that point in the match. Also because Jones slipped, and didn't actually lunge at Felipe (he deserves an Oscar for his performance yesterday too). Though upon replay I can see from Chapman's angle that the tackle likely looked much worse than it actually was. He was not the reason the Union lost the match.

Other then that, MEH

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  14. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I thought the team looked a lot offensively with Epps in, but obviously this team isn't anything this year without a CAM.

15. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epps did alright in a difficult situation. His pressing work eventually led to a set that was the only offense Philly mustered in the second half. The pivot remains shit even with Bedoya in it. No true 8, not a true 6 available better than Creavalle. 2 starting hybrids do not a fortress make.

They never replaced Barnetta. They have the ability to do next to nothing this offseason and free up a ton of salary anyway by letting excess roster simply walk. They'd still be less than even money to fill in the holes in their third shot at trying to fix the 2-deep..................

16. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Jim Curtin's job. Have a terrible record but absolute job security because you were born and raised in the Philly suburbs.

That said, nothing will change with a different coach. We have a cheap owner who isn't able to afford MLS in 2017, and a Sporting Director who doesn't know how the league works.

17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The problem with Epps is his touch. I'm not going to repeat here what I said on Sunday but it was less than complimentary. I can think of at least 3 times he took a heavy touch that killed a chance. And that doesn't include when he pulled a Wenger.

18. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Literally 30 seconds before that I complimented epps on his performance weds.

19. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due to my work schedule I only get to go to a handful of games this season...this was one of them unfortunately. I have yet to see a Union win in person this year. Some thoughts.

- Watching the replay of the Jones tackle/red card, it looks like Jones slips up slightly and instead of kicking through the ball his foot goes over the ball. Given how the ref seemed to let everything slide I personally still think this should have been a yellow and not a straight red. But I can see how in real time one would think it was a red.

- Epps is clearly unpolished while he had a decent attack here or there his touch as others was said was godawful. When he dribbled the ball out of the end line I actually said, "He just pulled a Wenger," to my wife.

- The team is still in DESPERATE need of a #10 player. The sad thing is, is that if we had somehow convinced Tranquillo Barnetta to stay for another season or so, I think this team would be hitting way above it's belt. Imagine Barnetta and Medunjanin distributing passes from the midfield...my mouth just watered a little.

- There was supposedly an incident that occurred between a Union fan, Earnie Stewart and Jay Sugarman, I'll see if I can find the post regarding it and put it up here, but long story short, Stewart was confronted by a fan about the poor product on the field and his response was basically, "If you don't like it, don't show up," Now, since I didn't see it happen I don't know if it was true, but if it is true, Stewart needs to learn pretty goddamned quickly that he hasn't won shit here and the people that have paid to see this dumpster fire we call a team, and when someone confronts him about this team, give generic answers and move on with your life. Responding with, "Well just don't show up," is absolutely a TERRIBLE thing to say to a team that has been shedding season ticket holders for several seasons and let's be real here isn't that much fun to watch at this point.

20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stories are just stories, but this one wouldn't surprise me. Remember he said something along the same lines during the Town Hall:

"And people who come for winning and losing? If they're only coming for that, I'm not going to promise it. If you come to see us win every single game, don't do it. You're going to get disappointed."

He wants you to come and see guys working hard...even if they don't win.

Sorry, but while I do love a good story about hard work and perseverance (I'm an Olympics nut!), that's NOT what I'm shelling out Season Ticket money for in this case. I want to see hard workers who produce results, not just sweat.

cwelch999, BuddhaWake and LuckyStriker repped this.
  21. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

BuddhaWake, Handsome Pete and celt1997 repped this.
  22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .......it's like they read Twitter and BS............

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCypsIWVwAEFHsI.jpg:large

23. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not to re-tread this too much, but is there anyone else with info on this? I heard it mentioned on the podcast, and was trolling around twitter and reddit to try and find out more but nothing doing. If that went down exactly as described, that's just wild.

cwelch999 repped this.
  24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Such mixed feelings, if Earnie is telling fans to not show up, isn't he actually being "Philly Tough" with us? Don't we want that tough love? Or is that just for other team's fans?

Handsome Pete and jaykoz3 repped this.