2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #176 Holmes12, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Moy-Chin had to recruit those scrubs while Pitt was playing on a parking lot and playing in a scrub conference. But, nobody will ever win there, stadium or not, as the only recruiting play is a shrug and a "well, you get to play in the ACC..." (aka the leftovers)...it's a wash. What really hurts in the ACC is not only the rubber turf, the cold, the non-Boston, non-NYC cosmopolitan urban-ness, the drab ND colors (the script Pitt was a step,..now lighten the blue back to the Dorsett days for more than two games)...it's football off-campus. Wrex campus experience, possibly makes it the worst perceived campus life in P5*.

*The bars aren't factored in during women's soccer recruitment

2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I do think Miller took over a train wreck of a program but it doesn't seem to be improving. You can point to poor ACC results but some of the results in non conference such as losing to a local mid major is not a sign of progress after 5 years.

Oregon- I would be shocked if they weren't warm. That program should be way better.

How about the Rockies? Colorado State need a better year?

Any input from down south about hot seat candidates?

3. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Outsiderview, do you know when Mertz got a contract extension and for how long? That would put her off the hot list unless they are willing to buy her out. I see she makes $90K a year.
    Too bad about Michigan State. I agree, that is an underperforming Power 5 program in a soccer rich state that could do well.

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    So, according to your logic, Mr. Miller should be promptly fired and the new coach should be able to take the scholarship money from each of the current players since they just achieved a last place finish in the ACC??

Chin was terrible for years in the Big East, Miller has been terrible for years now in the ACC. But it is/was the University of Pittsburgh name on the letterhead when they signed scholarship papers, applied for admission, gained admission, and then graduated (or transferred). The University hired and empowered coaches whose judgement they entrusted to spend their money wisely on competitive academically qualified student-athletes. Then, oops, we changed our mind and now you're all "awful soccer players" and we will now be taking away your soccer experience at the school that recruited you and offered to subsidize your education, and whose degree was fulfilling a lifelong dream and a key to future success in life. That is BS.
    Pitt and Miller had a choice how to treat those kids and they took the low road, the short cut, they chose to be mercenaries and here we are in the exact same situation 5 years later. Funny how that worked out. What messages are we sending these kids??
    Treating people like shit usually doesn't work out and it shouldn't.
    What's that cliche? 'remember all the people you step on the way up the ladder, because they'll be the one's you pass on the way down'
    One of those kids that Mr. Miller fired will end up being his kids pre-school teacher or their first soccer coach. Soccer Karma is a bitch sometimes.

5. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Seems like Pitt is the most discussed program on this thread over a number of years. Seems a common opinion that a coaching change should be in order and Miller is on the hot seat

6. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Exactly. It isn't HS. Can you imagine Clemson playing FSU in football for a chance to win an ACC championship and the coaches playing their seniors? They don't do it and they COULD if they wanted because it's one play and they get multiple substitutes. In soccer you would lose those subs. They don't do it because it's not what college sports is.

Women's soccer wants to be taken seriously then act like it. I admittedly had a tepid (at best) opinion of women's soccer before my DD starting playing. My opinion has changed. If you don't like Coach Miller, that is fine, but using senior nights and orange slices as any part of your rationale causes you to lose credibility.

MAGA DTS! repped this.
  7. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    How the Seniors are treated is one of the strongest indications of the strength and health of an athletic team. You're right, it's not High School. The biggest difference is those college Seniors chose that college (some persuaded aggressively), and those college coaches chose those players, as recruits and as continuing players in the program.
    Why are there Seniors on a college team that the coach is not willing to play for one play or for 5 minutes of the 90?? That answer tells you something.

Admissions folks will tell you one graduated alum with a positive vibe about the school will equal 5+ applications later. Similar to sports I would argue. 'its not how you start but how you finish', ever heard a coach say something like that? Wonder if they mean it.

You think that Senior will remember the score of the game on Senior Day or the fact they got their round of applause when they were substituted?
    Hell, I've even let an injured Senior start that final game long enough for us to kick the ball out of bounds just to get that round of applause and smiles from the family.
    If a coach gets fired for giving Seniors that round of applause, please tell us all about it so we can avoid that school.

What are we (some of you reading this) teaching these kids?
    Some of you probably think "Rudy" is a crap movie....

8. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If a senior is good enough they play. If they are not, they don't. Bottom line is that college coaches are held accountable. A lot of schools you could have a 100 percent grad rate, no issues and with a 6-12 record you will get fired. So easy to to say what to do on a forum, but the reality at some places is different.

9. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I just want you to acknowledge that the players you defend so vehemently for several years now, while probably tremendous human beings, were not good enough to be Div I scholarship athletes at Pitt and they have a legacy of failure that resulted in their coach not being able to continue her employment. Not talking about Pitt's current team, recent results, prospects for 2017, or job hot seat status, just talking about the players who were separated from the program a few years ago and how they weren't good enough to compete at this level. Can you admit that? And if providing for your family potentially hinged on being nice to these players and putting off your plan for success (whether it's working or not is not my point) for a few years, what would you have done in Miller's place? If you say you'd keep those players and put off going after the players you need for a few years, you're either a liar or an idiot, and my guess is that you're neither of those things.

10. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    And the Pittsburgh discussion drags on....and on....and on....and on....

cpthomas repped this.
  11. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Start a Pitt thread and move on!

cpthomas repped this.
  12. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    There are so many issues with your thinking.

1. Why does a coach HAVE to start his seniors on senior night to show them he values them? There NUMEROUS ways. I would think the way the coach shows them daily is more important. It seems you are arguing that a coach who does not start his seniors has a team that lacks healthy and strength. That is ridiculous.

2. The soccer aspect. What about a senior who doesn't normally start but plays a big role off the bench. A super sub. Now the coach has to change his entire tactics. You are assuming the kid who never plays. What about the kids is plays a lot but comes off the bench? The coach has to change everything or he doesn't value seniors and he will have angry alumni? That is ridiculous.

3. What are we teaching these kids? Hopefully that you get what you earn. If you "Earned" the starting spot then that is what you get. If you earned a roll off the bench then that is what you get. If you earned a spot on the team but not on the field, then that is what you get. I'm not giving any of my employees anything out of the goodness of my heart. That is ridiculous.

4. You think because the coach recruited them hard to the school, he nows owes them something? That is ridiculous.

5. And BTW, Rudy didn't start on Senior Night. Just saying.

13. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After the season in the fall, OU was given two years (same as AK). Again, I know for both of those schools paying a year to a coach that was let go is nothing, but why would they want to through away that money if they weren't't going to give them the full two. One would think they both would of been put on year to year if it was warm, not given two years.

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Wow, Please nominate this to the top-10 All-Time BS posts. In response to what are we teaching these kids, below is what user devad responded. How about trying to be the kind of boss you'd like to have yourself?? Please tell us where you work so we don't put in a resume. I have a feeling 3 ghosts will visit you tonight devad. I hope you listen to them.
    And those kids at Pitt did absolutely nothing wrong but commit themselves to be the best students and athletes they could be. Coaches make mistakes in recruiting all the time and there are plenty of schools that would not allow the players to be punished for a coaching/recruiting error in judgement. Maybe we should have an "integrity ranking"

Besides I think it's pretty easy to argue that Goodness in people's hearts is kindof what makes us human...

15. Samuel Clarke

Samuel Clarke New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 10, 2017

I want to live and coach in this idealistic world.... "all the student athletes did was commit themselves to being the best they could be..." hahahahaha.

Can we please get back to the hot seat conversation?

16. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    you think "getting what you earned" is a poor lesson for kids to learn? or makes a bad boss?

There are numerous ways to "honor" seniors. And you didn't answer the fact that Rudy didn't start his senior night. Rudy was a wonderful story where an underdog did everything he possibly could to help a team win. He earned what he got. There is a reason Rudy is a movie. If you believe every senior on every team has been Rudy, then you aren't connected to reality.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

That being the case, it doesn't sound like talking about Rudy isn't a point to hang your hat on.

18. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Can we get a list going of schools we think have coaches on the hot seat?

19. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    So I suppose that every D1 college athletic team (not just soccer) that doesn't start seniors on senior night is committing some type of offense.....the idea seniors should start at a level where wins and losses, conference tournaments and RPI can dictate whether you have a job or not the next year is ridiculous......and as noted earlier, very easy to say from behind a computer screen.

And while I don't think Greg should have a job at PItt, I also think it is time to move on......and by that I mean on this forum. If he has another year like he just did, he'll be gone....check back in 140 days or so

20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

This is a hot seat thread so the merits of these coaches are discussed. Again Pitt is one of the programs on the hot seat for 2017.

21. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    i was going to suggest Arizona State but am too late.

22. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    HAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You seem to know Miller is for some reason not on the hot seat so you are either one of his friends or his assistants.

Aside from Pitt who else is on the list?

24. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    LMAO You have an obsession with Miller and Pitt Dude. Soon I will be his brother or an ex girl friend lol. Lets move on to another topic. As you have said a thousand times Pitt is on the hot :) Only time will tell

25. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Katie Burton named head coach at Portland State

Nacional Tijuana repped this.