2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn’t Miami go to back to back NCAA tournaments prior to the new coach arriving?

2. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #777 Holmes12, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    no, Regardless, this is the new era of the mid-Atlantic and Cali soccer industry. Money rules and it's too concentrated there. You don't see other ancient mariners like Portland, George Mason, Santa Clara on the map no more. Miami is too expensive and too remote.

Southeast and Cali P5 proximity to concentrated industry money = nat. championship hope.

3. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I think it depends on what you define as success for Pitt. I believe that winning all your non conference games against mid majors and at picking up the odd result here and there in the ACC can be done and is about where that program should be. If you think winning the ACC is deemed a success then there is no way. But there is no reason that program cannot win a lot more non conference games.

Any word who is in the mix at Portland?

4. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008

Look back to yesterday. I told you where he was going. Hope he has the same luck bringing international girls to West Point. Easy to convince an intl to anywhere is the US as he's done but Army is an entirely different animal. Also US government job going to an Englishman?

outsiderview and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  5. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That's a good point as whats his name was losing to Duquesne and crap. But I don't think AD would find those wins enough. An AD has to drink the kool-aid for their own survival.

6. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I, on this very forum, way back when Santoro got the job in 2013, told ayone who would listen he would turn the program around. No idea which threads these posts may be in, but they're out there. It doesn't make me a soothsayer; I just have worked with him before and knew his capabilities.

7. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    isn't there a 5 year commitment in the service academies. would internationals go into the army? Assuming soccer "student athletes" have the same commitment as regular west point kids?

8. iloveny

iloveny Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Brian Shrum-hired at Youngstown State University

9. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I saw Fabio Boateng at a couple of showcases scouting for Y-Town and felt kinda sorry for him. He looked a bit uncomfortable and overwhelmed. Not mingling with other coaches, etc. Not many African Americans at these things. I knew he'd be up against it. i don't know the guy, could be totally off-base, it just struck me as my impression.

10. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Open Jobs (20): As of 12/6

Portland
    UConn
    William & Mary
    Pitt
    UMass
    UALR
    Miami, OH
    East Carolina
    Richmond
    Towson
    Austin Peay
    Northwestern State
    South Dakota
    New Mexico State
    Marist
    Incarnate Word
    Prairie View A&M
    UMBC
    Fairfield
    North Dakota State

Did I miss any?

Who's next to hire....or close?

11. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Giru and chch, I am with you. Interesting choice for Army. That doesn't mean that it's a bad hire, in fact I think it could very well turn out to be a good hire. Blewitt has done well in his time at UALR. But he had a current roster there that is 1/3 internationals that have done well for him and he has utilized his ties to England, Spain, and Iceland well. That won't happen at Army as you don't get internationals to come to US service academies. Right now there are exactly zero internationals on the Army roster, and if you look at the Army men's roster (much more likely to have internationals on the men's side) there are also zero internationals. Same thing at Navy where there are zero internationals on the men's and women's sides. But if he makes the adjustment to focus on domestic recruiting and gets the right type of student-athlete that is looking for the Army experience I think Blewitt can do really well there.

12. calcio1919

calcio1919 New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 11, 2017
    I am interested in what will happen with Pitt. From what I read here it seem like nobody really wants it. Do they just hire a successful midmajor coach? We are down in Florida for the Development Academy Showcase and our club coach mentioned that he heard Erickson from Northern Iowa was trying to get it. He has had success and if nobody else is interested maybe that is what they go for?
    What is going on with Uconn too?

13. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I disagree with your profound thoughts, Trustee. If he makes the adjustment to focus on domestic recruiting and gets the right type of student-athlete that is looking for the Army experience I don't think Blewitt can do really well there.

14. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Navy just went 16-4-1 and can contend for the Patriot League title on an annual basis. If Navy can do that, then so can Army with right person.

15. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    UIW is promoting their assistant, announcement expected this week.

PVAM is interviewing and a decision is expected before Christmas assuming their leading candidate says "yes"

16. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Updated as of 12:30 pm EST

Portland
    JMU
    UConn
    William & Mary
    Pitt
    UMass
    UALR
    Miami, OH
    East Carolina
    Richmond
    Towson
    Austin Peay
    Northwestern State
    South Dakota
    New Mexico State
    Marist
    Incarnate Word
    Prairie View A&M
    UMBC
    Fairfield
    North Dakota State

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to be a US citizen to be admitted to Army and I expect that's also true of Navy and Air Force.

18. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Appreciate that CPThomas, makes sense. Assumed that there was that parameter to be eligible to be accepted at a service academy.

19. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #794 Holmes12, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    I also disagree with this latest profound comment, my dear Trustee. As a former National Guardist who's seen combat, I realize West Point graduates enjoy high probabilities of occupying exploding transport and checkpoints in ongoing nefarious wars. Especially women. The Army will scrape their ranks to find women to sheathe in kevlar and pat down burkas.

Do you pretend soccer parent's don't view Annapolis as a far safer, same rewards alternative? Really, man. There is not another of your profound "right person" who exists. Do you not see the slide of all Army sports, most visibly, football, when compared to Navy and Colorado Springs in the 21st century? They be a reason. Maiming and death fears. I will grant, very recent and mild football success as the news of illegal American invasions, maimings and deaths have subsided (or blacked out) a bit.

20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Didn’t he just start at northern Iowa? Can’t imagine him looking to leave so soon. I think if Pitt are going to hire a mid major coach it would be someone in region. Perhaps Alvine at Duquesne? He’s done a good job there.

Maybe Walker will send another assistant over to Pittsburgh?

21. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

If Erickson leaves....won't that be 3 coaches in 3 seasons there? The guy the Erickson replaced left after 1 season I think

calcio1919 repped this.
  22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

The program seems to have done pretty well the last few years so can’t be a bad job unless the town or campus has something negative. I was surprised when James Price left a few years back as he seemed happy there.

23. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

I don't know. I think coaching is underestimated. A good coach can recruit and win anywhere. there are a lot of examples of places where people thought you couldn't win, but have had success. can a school win a NC, i don't know, probably with the right coach. There hasn't been that many NC coaches in NCAA history.

For all the coaches that post on this board, i would think there would be more regard for the value of a good coach.

24. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    wasnt last army coach from usa soccer similar to navy coach?

25. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Hasn’t Army football just had a winning season and clobbered Air Force?