2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I agree Pitt and Syracuse have had good starts so if they continue on as is they should be safe having had successful seasons.

One school I have to think is very hot is Green Bay- they lost two 2 division II schools and Akron who are also pretty atrocious. No way an administration accepts that. They may be on course for an 0-18 year.

I also think Akron could start to get a little warm. They canned the last coach for being poor and they seem to be struggling still.

The Miami Ohio situation is unfortunate. They should be able to attract a decent hire after the fall.

2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Looking through scores tonight I'm always interested in Big East results. Creighton lost to South Dakota and that seat must be hot unless conference play saves the coach.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see how the entire season goes. Basing a judgment on one game leaves a little to be desired, so far as figuring how a team will do over the course of the season. But, giving you credit for your point, the expectation was that Creighton would win the game. Their loss could be an indicator of a problem. But then again, it simply could have been one of those games where the weaker team wins. But then again, the stats say it was a very close game, so maybe the two teams were about equal -- which could indicate a problem. And then again, basing a judgment on one game ....

4. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

On the flip side of that argument...this win could save the USD coach's job!

Gilmoy and cpthomas repped this.
  5. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Being a big east fan I was hoping Creighton was going to progress with the coaching change. I checked how South Dakota has done before this game and theyjabe been pretty bad. So I will

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Creighton made a poor hire with and are paying the price

7. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I think UNO also made a bad hire.

8. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I'm thinking creighton should we warm they just lost two games in a row to teams from South Dakota. That's pretty poor.

Staying in the big east Georgetown got crushed by Stanford. Looks like Stanford are the big deal this year.

9. MWsoccer

MWsoccer New Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Sep 4, 2017
    UNO average historically. They have a good staff and will rebuild over next few years.

10. Otown Soccer

Otown Soccer Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What's interesting about this situation is Bruce Erickson is currently undefeated at Northern Iowa, beating teams CU has lost to.

This was a poor hire, no collegiate coaching experience and the first thing he did was run out 90% of the roster and with replacements that didn't upgrade the talent level.

Creighton might not win a single game in conference play this season and the future doesn't look too bright. Disappointing for sure.

11. Otown Soccer

Otown Soccer Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Walters is an upgrade from the prior staff (which wasn't hard to do), but with the potential candidates that applied they could have done better. Can't judge the team on first few games, they have completely changed everything - playing style, formation, movement of players to different positions, etc. They look more like a soccer team, just need to put it all together. This is a single berth conference, know all Tim cares about is what they do in league. Will be interesting to watch and see if they can improve their Summit league performance.

12. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    What about these schools: St. Bonaventure, ULL, Northwestern LA State, Winthrop, Charleston Southern, Marshall. UTSA, UTEP, App State, Maine, Western Carolina, George Mason, American, IPFW, Gardner Webb, Evansville, ORU, SAM Houston, Incarnate TX, and Richmond.

13. 2-Timer

2-Timer Member

Jul 1, 2013
    North Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Schools I know a little about
    Northwestern St (La) - better than they've been in a long time - not even warm - much less hot
    Incarnate Word (TX) - same
    UTSA - same
    UTEP - good enough for long enough that I doubt it is even warm
    Sam Houston - getting warm
    ULL - has to be untouchable hot, but I've been saying that for couple of years so who knows he might have secret pictures of somebody

14. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Great compilation. In my opinion, the following could name anybody as HC and still have a rough time, so probably go contract terms...

UTEP...unwinnable location
    Maine...unwinnable location
    Richmond...unwinnable school costs. Neither here nor there in rep to get away with the exorbitent tuition/fees.
    St. Bonaventure...not quite as costly as Richmond but ultimately unwinnable private (cost). But this is a great niche school, community, town. As opposed to others, somebody right could work this and possibly make NCAAs.
    George Mason...unwinnable, public cost but bland commuter school. The anti-St. Bonaventure. Bramble works hard but it's a tough sell.

15. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

UTEP...check the records, KC has been successful there in the past. He's the face of that program and it'll ultimately be his choice to leave not admin.
    Richmond...it's just time! PA has been the only coach there...ever! Yes, it's a football/basketball school...but they sacked the men's soccer program a few years back to add men's lax and look at their success!
    Mason...give Bramble a chance!
    St. Bonaventure...yawn!
    Maine...dbl yawn!

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think Richmond just costs too much for a partial scholly sport with hundreds of options. Lacrosse is so limited in varsity programs, much less south of the Potomac, yet the youth supply of wealthy kids is just as expansive as travel soccer. The second they announced the lax team, it was an instant magnet with plenty of supply of wealthy players to be competitive quickly.

Look at Ivy...can't compete in women's soccer, competitive in men's lacrosse. Same thing...men's lax has shorter supply of national/southern/public options so the parent's of better recruits pay.

17. sssmith

sssmith New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 7, 2017
    I noticed three A10 schools listed above but does anyone know much about Umass? Another slow start, seems to have enough to offer (education, location and history) to complete in the conference and I thought I heard the hc is being paid 6 figures. Did the school cut back on its scholarship / funding when it promoted football?

18. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Totally agree on Mason I think Bramble is safe.

19. MWsoccer

MWsoccer New Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Sep 4, 2017
    Will be interesting to watch them for sure. North Dakota State University on the other hand are having a complete meltdown. 0-5 without a single goal (9-0 loss to Utah). Getting warm?

20. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I doubt it, highly. They're coming off back to back regular season titles in a weak Summit League. I would assume they'll find their footing in conference play, make the conference tournament and his job is easily safe.

21. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Based on geography alone you would have to think that getting wins at a school in North Dakota is hard enough. Probably not a lot of recruits up there and I'm guessing a difficult sell.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that looking at one season is questionable for evaluating a coach. What are the team's RPIs while the coach has been there? Is there an RPI trend?

There's a fundamental thought-process flaw in making a decision using insufficient data.

23. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #323 SoccerTrustee, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    My hot list picks would be American, Army, and Seton Hall. Michigan State too but just looks like they will ride that one out. I'd agree about UMass, that's a good job and has fallen well below expectations. Pitt's always on this forum, losing to Kent St won't help them either.

24. Otown Soccer

Otown Soccer Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Coach was hired from Minnesota Thunder Academy, majority of his team comes from that club. Mark has done a good job there and doubt based on one season he will be on the hot seat, have finished at the top of league for many prior years.

25. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #325 Holmes12, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    What about Maryland? Tore through non-conf stiffs. I didn't think he'd cut it but maybe i was wrrrrrr. Or is their sched too ez? They're situated geographically to the northeast soccer money...so should by default be top-tier with Happy Valley and Piscataway....followed by concentric circles west...Tier 2...Columbus, Ann Arbor, Evanston (trumps IU/PU)...Tier 3...throw 'em in a bucket.