2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. MAGA DTS!

MAGA DTS! New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Pitt has Detroit Mercy at home on 08/30 and at Nebraska( pre season top 25) 09/10, before conference play begins. So will have better indicators soon enough.

2. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    From what I remember in discussions from some time ago, I think Miller decommitted a bunch of players at the n'th hours when he came in a few years ago. Swapped them out for internationals. Seems there are posters whose children were personally impacted by his decisions. maybe one or more went to neighbor Duquesne. The AD has to allow this to happen in most cases, so I think some blame is being directed at the "administration" as well. By all means, correct me if I am mistaken.

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Olelaliga, I think that you are confusing the Pitt situation of four years ago with what I was reacting to in my post you quote which has to do with Campbell University in North Carolina.

My post that you quote was a blunt plea for those posting about the Campbell situation with an assistant coach. The posters keep referring knowledgeably about some kind of skulduggery regarding the assistant coach somehow getting the head coach fired, but do not provide any details which would help the 95% of us who are not "in the know" to understand what the heck they are talking about. Since its been a few days since I begged for an explanation, I really do not think that we are going to get a cogent one.

4. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Any other universities playing preseason games soccer this fall?

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #280 cpthomas, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Go here, it shows all the pre-season games: http://woso-stats.tk/college/2017/composite. And also the results.

And also the entire schedule of regular season games. And, on other pages of the website, all sorts of information.

NilamCA repped this.
  6. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Oh yes, sorry my mistake. Got you.

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Great tie for bowling green against Xavier.

8. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    That Southern Miss 8-1 win over SELU jumps off the page. Don't know what to make of that.

9. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    whisper, don't both rustbelts stink with new coaches? i'd give the edge to BG, all non-soccer things considered.

10. wvalx2001

wvalx2001 New Member

Crystal Palace
    England
    May 9, 2017
    Anybody have insight on University of Buffalo's Sean Burke? Even though he has a spiffy overall record, the trend line doesn't look promising (as his recruits start to take over) and dropping preseason matches to Cleveland State and Niagara is not good, even for preseason. Their recruit class seems so-so, not special for what should be an aspiring mid-major with close proximity to talent rich Ontario, Canada. Two tough matches right off the bat will start them at 0-2.

11. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Initially he's done a good job so I think we can safely say the program will be solid. I'm sure they will have up and down years but I think the future in Buffalo is bright.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a toughy, from a stats perspective. Over the long term, Buffalo's trend is on the rise. But, over Burke's reign, the trend is negative. It's a situation where, if I were an AD evaluating, I'd want to see where the program is trending following the current season. If the 2017 RPi is poorer than the 2016, I'd be really concerned.

13. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Sean Burke being mentioned on this board is harsh. If anything he's a victim of being successful too quickly. Won the league in his first year and then got to the semis in his second year. And I don't think the 'they weren't his kids' argument holds as he recruited those players as an assistant there. But will be interested in seeing how they do. Scrimmages don't mean a thing so will follow them with results that actually matter. I think they have more to worry about if they're cutting sports there just to keep their football program relevant.

14. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I agree. I know Sean a bit and he seems to think the administration is very positive with how he is doing.

outsiderview repped this.
  15. 2-Timer

2-Timer Member

Jul 1, 2013
    North Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Southern Miss has come a long ways in last 4 years. W/L do not truly show how much better that program is since new coach came in. They were really bad and he has brought in several players that can compete in their conference. We will see how they do this year in conference, but that program spent so many years not even competitive. 8-1 sounds out of whack though unless the SE La program has fallen off a cliff with their new coach.

16. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    I know , I know....it's only weekend #1....but any signs that a seat may be hotter than anticipated or headed from warm to hot...or cooled off?

17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Oregon getting a 4-1 beat down from NC State isn't a good start.

18. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    OKAY,
    Is what I know from coaches & players.
    - She went to AD and complained, former HC never worked, never ran a session, was never on the road recruiting.
    - She also id good friends with AD's daughter, so got in her ear;to get to her father.
    - Made promises to assistant coach (now Associate HC) without talking to then current HC.
    - went in and complained about once a week about office hours kept, not being part of players meetings, and disagreements on recruit.
    - Got other alumni involved with Admin.
    - Admin got tired of the complaining (WARRANTED OR NOT) so they monitored the situation.
    - Former HC allowed her to look into other jobs (Head and assistant). But when nothing panned out, it was time to get what she wanted; her job where she played.
    - Admin stepped in and made the 3 way head coaching situation, not the current HC at the time.
    - Over time enough was enough from both sides.
    - So they broke up the staff, parted in mutual ways?
    - Stu will move on as the coaching nation knows what all happened.
    - Campbell will move on as a program.

19. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    Campbell has moved on, Its a bit odd no press release was made? But as they have moved on, So should we.

20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I'm sure at some point in a couple of years we will be circling back to this coach being on the hot seat so until that day I agree.

21. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    SELU drops a game to Alabama St. This program is falling off quickly. Seat won't be warm yet, but he is going to need a turnaround next year to avoid it warming up.

22. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What are some thoughts after the first two weekends on warm or hot seats? Any other schools out there with an interim head coach besides Miami (Ohio) who at 0-4-0 looking like what may be the first open job this year. A lot of first year head coach's having poor years making them safe (South AL, Liberty, Southern Utah, Oakland, Troy, Delaware, San Diego)

Ohio, ECU, Pitt, Syracuse have all been mentioned in the past are having good starts but all may depend on conference results.

Don't know much about these schools, except do not remember them being open in recent years and coming off poor years as well.
    Tulsa 0-3-1
    Marshall 0-3-0
    Wofford 0-3-0 (13-35-5 last 3 seasons)
    UIC 0-3-0 (14-37-4 only 3 year old program)
    Middle Tennessee 0-3-0
    Louisiana Lafayette 0-3-0

23. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Illinois is backing up last year's poor results with another poor start. Rayfield is an icon in the sport, but could there be some warmth to that seat?

24. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Tulsa, no idea
    Marshall is do for a change!
    Wofford is also do, but there's a catch...coach's hubby is in charge of athletic facilities (Carolina Panthers Pre-season Training Home), and the Panthers love this guy!
    UIC, hard to say....have to throw in Chicago St in that even with a new coach. He's decimated the roster (down to 15 players), and added matches to the schedule before the season instead of trimming some.
    Mid Tenn, Austin is a great guy, he'll rally!
    ULL, no idea!

25. royturner

royturner Member

Jan 3, 2012
    that's pretty much it
    -players support Horne and knew what was going on
    -total admin nightmare in dealing with it
    -hope the coach has a magic spell to ward off karma