2017 Gold Cup Referees [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 22, 2017.

1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Yeah...they should send a message to Garcia! :notworthy:

ArgylleRef repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we start to see informal reports that it's Lopez, it dawns on me that I've been thinking of the Garcia/Ramos angle from a Mexico angle or the angle of "well, the best referee should get the match." Hadn't thought of the Jamaica angle, which would be to not have a referee from the country that they just surprisingly eliminated in the semis (oddly, it's the first angle I think about at the FIFA/UEFA level, so shows how I view CONCACAF, well, differently). Anyway, that would be the top reason to not have a Mexican referee and a top reason why Lopez could be the guy.

3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    But the US eliminated El Salvador and had Aguilar right after. And I don't see how whether the elimination is surprising should play a role.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US likely wouldn't object to Aguilar because they know the alternative could be much worse. Does the Jamaican FA feel the same way? Given everything that happened two years ago and the feeling among the smaller federations that the US and Mexico control everything, I'm not so sure.

And "surprising" was an almost superfluous adjective. Not intended to mean much in the referee assignment context.

balu repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, to be clear, the assignments like the Aguilar one and the limited possibilities to avoid conflicts is one of the reasons I think I inherently presume the Mexicans could ref the Final. I'm just pointing out that the potential perspective of the Jamaican FA dawned on me today.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United States: Jamaica - LOPEZ (GUA)

IASocFan, greek ref and balu repped this.
  7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Watson almost breaks Jordan Morrison's ankle 10 minutes into the game and he just ges a talking to...

A red in that moment is just unrealistic, but at least a yellow please.

8. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That Jody Altidore set piece tho. Too bad their second string goalkeeper was in.

9. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    An amusing thing I noticed....Jamaica had a break away and I saw the AR sprinting and pumping his flag arm like the rawest youth AR. Guess he figured it was better to keep up with play then to show good form.

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt any of us could keep up with the Jamaicans. From the far corner, it looked like Lopez did a pretty good job, though some of the home folks were upset with some of his no calls. Anyway, it was a great game.

11. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    lol I noticed that too- i must admit that in extreme circumstances of fatigue, I have done it. It's good to know how silly it looks!