2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jun 14, 2017.

1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Agree about TOB, his composure was precious. He still frustrated me a bit cause I know he could have done even better, still too shy and doesn't make himself available enough. Too bad, because when he runs with the ball from deep opponents cannot deal with him. He's Still one of the reasons we controlled the games.

Marcho Gamgee and IGSpur repped this.
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    These odd persons I'm sure haven't watched one minute of any of the games and just jump back to the old stereotype arguments just to wind people up. Back in the day we did have some bigger more physical players but this just isn't the case anymore plus even our bigger players are technically very good.

3. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Another tired argument being brought up online the last few days is the "England have always had success at youth level" one. Always presented completely without evidence or basis in reality.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Daniel Storey was on the Totally Football Show talking about the tournament and the squad. Suggested that Nya Kirby might get some gametime at Palace if Zaha gets injured again, cause he's a winger...

5. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Must have watched the 2 warm up games against SA and Brazil

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've had more success at youth level than we have at senior, (not that that's difficult, of course:(), but nothing like this, surely... have we?

7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    More likely he just jumped on the bandwagon in the last week or so and just didn't have any depth of knowledge.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought the World Cup lads might have got a short break before starting back, but Hudson and McEachran started this afternoon for Chelsea u19s in the CL.

It'll be interesting to see (as previously discussed) who will mover up to the u19s.

10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Loads of them could + probably should play for the U19s next year. But i'd almost be happier if England tried to give as many 1999s as possible, the tournament. These 2000s have had two long tournaments this year, so i'd almost rather give the experience to the right age group and ensure some newer faces get proper looks.

Loads of 98s missed out last year cause of the strength of the 99s, so i'm not sure it'd be wise to go to the tournament with 99s who have already won it and the 2000s who have already had this year of success.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well the u18 finals are July 2018. Plenty of time off.

12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'm not talking about them needing rest and I presume you mean U19 finals?

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #913 The Guardian, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    We are indeed talking about the u19s. We can't be holding back future England stars, out of a concern for those down the pecking order.

14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Or how about giving tournament experience to an even bigger pool of future England stars.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    As much as we like winning these youth tournaments, other than Argentina, Brazil has as of late had little competition in CONMEBOL tournaments, from which U17 and U20 World Cup participants are drawn.

Youth tournaments have their place, but the senior team is what really gets us Brazilians going, and with Tite having led us to a long unbeaten streak in South American WCQ qualifying, we're hopeful for next year.

2018 will be a great World Cup. Glad your team will participate - it'd be odd to have a World Cup without the creators of the royal game.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No. We shouldn't be leaving out future England senior stars. Best leave the quotas for Oxbridge and comedy panel shows.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If you think we are making too much fuss about winning an epic u17 World Cup final, you'll be shocked by the fuss that will be made if the senior team win it. You won't believe it. And Scotland's suicide rate will rocket.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    n
    But at least pubs in England will make a very handsome profit!

I was at a pub once - in New York City of all places - surrounded by maddened Englishmen as England defeated Germany 1-5. One Englishman raised his arms in celebration and his beer fell on my head. I was momentarily annoyed, but being with dozens of Brits there and for that occasion was definitely a major memory I have as a soccer fan - one of the few truly special ones which does not involve Brazil.

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree the pubs in England will do well (should we win the world cup) but they'll also do well in Scotland. People tend to spend more on drinking to forget than they do to celebrate. Although, particularly in Scotland, I gather they have other methods as well. And the incidents of cirrhosis of the liver will rise in both countries.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    926141274981322752 is not a valid tweet id

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Some more here:

926141531756654598 is not a valid tweet id

ChristianSur repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    926141870052462592 is not a valid tweet id

ChristianSur repped this.
  25. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can do full tournament comps of players if anyone would find them valuable, they'd be pretty long though if you assume that there'd be a minimum of two minutes of noteworthy footage (at the very least) from every game per player.

IGSpur, sharpovic, Jenks and 2 others repped this.