2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I've been surprise by the lack of player compilation videos from this tournament to be honest.

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Great result. The only downside was having to listen to Trevor Sinclair on commentary. "An unobtainable lead" was one of his many gems.

3. scout94

scout94 New Member

England
    Oct 8, 2017
    #878 scout94, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    ferran torres such a loser

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    One of the great things about this team is just the sense of inevitability that they're going to score goals. I didn't even feel that concerned after Spain got their second - it would be a lie to say that I knew we were going to win, never mind in that style, but there was always a palpable sense that we were going to get at least one or two, so the game was never gone.

And incredibly we've won the hardest games without Ryan Sessegnon and Sancho and largely without Gomes. Three players who many people had pegged as the top three talents in the group at the start of last season. Now I don't even know who the best players are. There are just so many candidates.

Incidentally, that's by far the best performance I've seen from Steven Sessegnon. Flexibility is great and may well help him to progress, but surely right-back must be his position.

hussar and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    What a year! I honestly don't think it will, but if it all crumbles into dust and disappointment, then still, what a year we've had...

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Forgot to record and I also had to work my sports reporting job today as well and found out about the result a couple hours later...

I couldn't believe the score at first.

I'm so, so happy.

ChristianSur repped this.
  7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think there's an outside bet that Phil Foden could make the plane for Russia if he can get into the City XI...

8. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I first began to take an interest in England youth sides during the 2011 U17 World Cup, with the likes of Sterling, Chalobah and Powell. 6 years later we've won it, capping off pretty much the greatest year possible.

hussar repped this.
  9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow same over here.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P., zXen, Jenks and 2 others repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jenks and ChristianSur repped this.
  13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Ian Ladyman of the Mail was on the money, this morning, when he spoke of football journalists being somewhat jaded watching football, whereas watching this game on TV was just so uplifting and enjoyable he couldn't recall the last time he feel that way.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... probably when he saw an elderly Polish person fall and break their tibia in more than one place... AMIRITE? :eek:

:giggle:

Sorry, guys, couldn't resist :(

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No. Tell us more. You have our attention.

16. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Foden vs Spain WC highlights

W.A.S.P., M, Jenks and 2 others repped this.
  17. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why did they turn their shirts around? Why did Foden adjust his shorts so it looks like he's wearing a nappy? Somebody needs to keep an eye on these boys

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Congratulations to England. U20 and U17 World Cup champions in the same year!

We Brazilians view these tournaments as sources to find potential new talent, but ironically, rare is the player from youth tournament champion squads who make it to the senior team. I'm not familiar with the developmental levels of English football, but I hope you guys harvest a few gems for your future senior NT.

Football came home twice in one year for England. ;)

W.A.S.P., hussar, Marcho Gamgee and 2 others repped this.
  19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It's interesting that successful Brazilian youth teams have very few top quality players but the unsuccessful ones don't. I wish for your sake and the Brazilian seniors sides that your youth teams never win anything again.

Good luck.

20. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm starting to wonder if there is a football pundit in the country who is aware the England youth teams are "national teams". They seem to think the only national team is the senior England team.

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Out of curiosity, will Sancho get a winners medal? Or have Dortmund robbed him of that too?

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The regulations aren't totally clear (see Article 34(5) on p.43), but I would assume that he will. He was a member of the official squad, so if Lewis Gibson - who only played against Iraq - gets one, then I can't see any reason why Sancho wouldn't.

Jenks repped this.
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Incidentally, I still keep seeing the odd person saying that England won because had bigger players. If anyone wants a very simple counter-argument, this squad list has all the players' heights on it.

Average height of England's starters in the final: 178.4 cm (5'10" and 2 tenths).
    Average height of Spain's starters in the final: 178.2 cm (5'10" and 2 tenths).

Still, I'm sure those two millimetres made all the difference.

24. ArsenalYouth

ArsenalYouth Member

Apr 16, 2017
    London, England
    My Team of the Tourny:

Hudson-Odoi (LW) ---- Brewster (ST) --- Foden (RW)
    Y. Adli (CM) --- S. Gómez (CAM) --- Oakley-Boothe (CM)
    Panzo (LWB) --- Latibeaudiere (CB) --- Vitão (CB) --- Sessegnon (RWB)
    Brazão (GK)

TOB - because he had one of, if not, the best pass completion rate..,
    Someone should make a montage of Phil Foden's performance throughout the whole tournament...

25. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Are there any actual stats for the tournament, when you mention his pass rate or are you just going by eye?