2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jun 14, 2017.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    He's been frequently injured unfortunately.

2. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Carrick last played in the Championship at 19, Josh is 24.

3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He played in the 03/04 first division and was born in 81

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  5. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #330 Slater582, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Butland, Kane & Tom Davies have all spent a bit of time with this squad. The coaches get individuals from the group to stand up in front of everyone and manage video analysis of set-piece plays. Partially about trying to identify leaders. "Their personalities, performance principles and belief systems are investigated in one-on-one sessions with coaches and support staff."

A scout from Juventus was at the Brazil game to watch Yuri Alberto, who Arsenal & Manchester United are also monitoring. He ended up more impressed by Guehi, Oakley-Boothe & Foden. Foden was apparently particularly impressive and worth more than Sancho.

Apparently there is a password-protected room on the top floor of the national football centre that contains the names & passport-style photographs of the best players of the seven squads from under-15 to under-21, posted vertically on the walls, each featuring the perceived best XI in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

That information is from an article by Mike Calvin in the Sunday (3rd September) Times.

kbarrett2316, W.A.S.P., MH10 and 4 others repped this.
  6. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    A brazilian guy on twitter who was at the game said Foden was the best u20 he ever saw. But having watched a lot of both him and Sancho, the latter is better at the moment, as seen this summer (even if Foden is more my style of player). Exciting times.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Garibaldi11 and ChristianSur repped this.
  8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't have the impression that he's lying there, he sounds sincere enough. Equally though, I wouldn't expect a letter cancelling Sancho's scholarship agreement to have been addressed to Pep Guardiola, so it's possible that he doesn't even know the administrative situation. He'll probably only have known that Sancho wasn't at training, which isn't in dispute anyway.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

ChristianSur repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I could be way off the mark as I'm speculating off course but it sounds to me like the agent has played a big part in this. If, as Pep said they had already shaken hands on the deal which to me sounds like the player was ready to stay but then presumably his agent then had other ideas. Not turning up for training is a classic trait agents encourage to force a move. Funnily enough was listening to Big Sam talking about this the other day.

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's all guesswork really, isn't it. What got my back up was that the stories about training appeared in the press at all. They can only really have come from Man City, and there's something very distasteful about a huge institution making an active effort to damage the reputation of a 17-year-old, whether or not he was handling the situation well. It's not as if the stories helped the situation in any way.

12. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I heard Allardyce, he was only guessing tbh, compared him to Ravel but Sancho is nothing like him IMO. In this case I'm not sure he was well advised by his agent, although in the end this is a good move for him

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    For anyone interested here's the article by Michael Calvin:

MICHAEL CALVIN

september 3 2017, 12:01am, the sunday times
    The dream starts here for England’s youngsters
    michael calvin

England’s youth players had a summer of love but their passion will be tested in the harsher confines of their clubsM

[​IMG]
    Save
    At times like this, when criticism is fierce and the familiar flaws of another World Cup qualifying campaign cannot be camouflaged by results, Gareth Southgate would be forgiven for coveting a return to development football, where England teams operate in a bubble of best practice and earnest intentions.

His new world is harsher, infinitely more judgemental, but not entirely without hope, since the struggle for consistency and credibility at senior international level is balanced by the burgeoning promise of age group squads which have carried on where they left off in their summer of love.

England’s under-20 team, the current world champions, set the tone on Thursday evening with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Holland. Tottenham’s Marcus Edwards, rashly compared to Lionel Messi by Mauricio Pochettino, scored with a sumptuous free-kick.

The under-19s won 7-1, easing up, against Poland at St George’s Park the next day. Their quality of movement and poise on the ball were so impressive that hat-tricks by George Hirst, of Sheffield Wednesday, and Arsenal’s Edward Nketiah seemed almost incidental.

[​IMG]
    Young gun: Marc Guehi of England Under-17s is expected to shine at the World Cup in IndiaPAUL THOMAS
    Ipswich Town’s Tristan Nydam announced himself as a beautifully balanced left-footed midfield player. The creativity of Sunderland’s Elliot Embleton, scorer of the other goal, compensated for occasional coltish clumsiness. Arsenal’s Reiss Nelson seized the eye as a second-half substitute.

Seven of the team that won the Under-20 World Cup featured in the opening match of England’s European Under-21 Championship qualifying programme on Friday night, a 1-1 draw in Holland. Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin maintained the momentum of a breakthrough season with a goal on his debut.

Arguably England’s most naturally talented group began their preparations for next month’s Under-17 World Cup finals in India with a goalless draw in an under-18 friendly against Brazil. England even won the penalty shoot-out, 5-4.

Steve Cooper, their head coach, preferred to highlight collective virtues rather than individual contributions. He was reflecting the conservatism of his trade; others, with less altruistic motives, were more prepared to name names and, quietly, estimate market values.

A Juventus scout came to assess Brazilian striker Yuri Alberto, who also interests Arsenal, Manchester United and Inter Milan. By half-time he was telling his superiors about the dynamism of Tottenham’s Tashan Oakley-Boothe and the game intelligence of Manchester City’s playmaker Phil Foden, the defensive qualities of Chelsea’s Marc Guehi.

Foden fits the Barça blueprint. His instant control and instinctive appreciation of space is matched by discipline out of possession. His tactical maturity enabled him to play across a front three supporting a lone striker, Liverpool’s Rhian Brewster. My companion suggested he is already worth double the £8m Borussia Dortmund paid for Jadon Sancho, his disaffected City colleague, on Thursday.

At 17, he has made City’s first-team bench in the Champions League and starred in a friendly against Manchester United. He will doubtless be Pep Guardiola’s first Premier League debutant from the club’s £200m academy, but the system needs more than token opportunity if its pretensions are not to be exposed. The depth of England’s talent pool is highlighted in a password-protected room on the top floor of the National Football Centre. The names and passport-style photographs of England’s best young players, arranged in seven squads from under-15s upwards, are posted vertically on the walls. Each features an optimal starting 11 in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Dan Ashworth, the FA’s technical director, classifies 459 youth players as England’s elite. Of those, 175 are female, and have a less cluttered pathway since statistics suggest 19% will become full internationals. Only 5.28% of the 284 male players will progress to the senior team.

The fallout rate begs questions of the game’s duty of care. Around half of one per cent of the boys who enter academies at the age of nine will make a living from the game. Only 180 of the 1.5m who play organised youth football in England at any one time will play in the Premier League, a success rate of 0.012%.

Southgate is admirably realistic: “We can spot a talent, get an idea of the stability of the family, but the path is so complex. The defining factor in a successful pro is mentality. You’re assuming he is at a high level technically, but there is something very important about the ability to learn, to keep wanting to learn and improve. It’s about dealing with the constant setbacks, the constant need to adapt and adjust.”

That is Sancho’s challenge. Hailed as “one of the biggest talents in European football” by Dortmund’s Michael Zorc, his departure from City, and consequent withdrawal from Cooper’s under-17 squad, was messy. As one of four England youth internationals in the Bundesliga, he embodies football’s institutionalised impatience and opportunism.

The biggest push internationally involves the identification of leaders. Players are consciously placed in uncomfortable situations, such as standing up in front of their peers to manage video analysis of set-piece plays. Their personalities, performance principles and belief systems are investigated in one-on-one sessions with coaches and support staff.

They interact seamlessly with their seniors; Harry Kane spoke to Cooper’s squad about the importance of taking what could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Jack Butland did a one-hour Skype session with the goalkeepers. Everton’s Tom Davies will share his experience of breaking into first-team football.

“A large percentage of these boys are fresh out of school,” Cooper explained. “They are athletes and look like footballers with the England kit on but there are so many things swirling around them. We are working for the here and now, with one eye on the long-term vision of being successful at senior level.

“I am really proud of them, the way they speak with adults, the way they get each other up when they are down, the way they represent themselves. They are a credit to their generation. They have a commitment to learning, to performing under pressure and delivering when it counts. If you haven’t got that I don’t think you will do the distance with us.”

STARLETS GO ABROAD TO MAKE THEIR NAME
    • Jadon Sancho Manchester City’s England Under-17 forward moved to Borussia Dortmund on transfer deadline day for £10m. The 17-year-old, who joined City from Watford in 2015, had refused to train in an effort to force a move. He will wear the No7 shirt vacated by Ousmane Dembele, who signed for Barcelona for an initial £96.8m, rising to £135.5m. So, no pressure the
    • Chris Willock The 19-year-old joined Arsenal’s academy when he was five, but after only two substitute appearances totalling 25 minutes in League Cup ties, the winger, who has played at England Under-16/17/18/19 levels, signed a five-year deal with the Portuguese champions Benfica
    • Reece Oxford Made a big impression when West Ham won at Arsenal on the opening day of the 2015-6 season. Now 18, he has represented England from Under-16 to Under-20 levels and moved on loan to Borussia Monchengladbach.
    • Kaylen Hinds Another Arsenal product, the 19-year-old England Under-16/17/18 striker joined Wolfsburg in July on a three-year deal.

W.A.S.P., zXen, Garibaldi11 and 2 others repped this.
  14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If a journalist asks a contact a question, it's not such a terrible thing for him to answer it honestly. We are not talking WikiLeaks here.

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It appeared in three or four papers at once so I doubt that that's how it happened. If it had been, then sure, it might be reasonable.

16. United689908

United689908 Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    City 3-0 with a man advantage and Foden still doesn't come on. Sancho probably not regretting anything yet.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I saw that - in fact it's what we were discussing a bit further up. As I say, I think it's fair enough for him to give his perspective if he's asked directly about it, whether or not his perspective is a fair or accurate reflection of the situation, which I can't really know. I also very much doubt that he was personally responsible for the stories that appeared at the end of July.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I said this on twitter that Foden should have been given the opportunity to get some game time in a game that was not in doubt when 3-0 up, a bit frustrating as would love to see him on the pitch.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Apparently Sancho played the first half for Dortmund II today and set up the opening goal. Good start!

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Lovely goal from Angel Gomes yesterday against Derby u18s. Bit of a curl on it. But not the usual optimistic effort four yards outside of the post expecting it to miraculously bend in to the top corner.

22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Starting to fear, maybe selfishly, that he won't be able to go to the world cup. Really feel that he'll play in their first team soon.

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd rather have him playing Bundesliga games than at the U17 World Cup anyway.

24. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I wanted England to win the world cup, it's just 3 weeks. But yeah if he's in Dortmund's first team then great, that was precisely my point

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's next month, isn't it? I'd be quite surprised if he's much involved in the first team by then. Either situation sounds good though - the only thing that might be frustrating is if they withdraw him and don't use him, as West Ham did with Reece Oxford. Even then it would be a little more understandable given how new he is to the club.