2017 Expansion Draft coming 12/13/16

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murr, Nov 1, 2016.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Louis Tully: My guys are still under a judicial mistrangement order... that blue thing I got from her! They could be exposing themselves!

Peter Venkman: And you don't want us exposing ourselves!

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Protect Vincent, expose Sarvas.

GumbyG and shawn12011 repped this.
  3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    No idea where we stand at internationals anymore. According to DC's roster page, Acosta, Saborio, Kamara, and Igboanike are listed as internationals, while Vincent and Aguilar aren't. Hamid is listed as a Homegrown, but there's no way that stands up in an expansion draft.

4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCs roster page is useless.

Murr, Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  5. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    To put it all in one place, Buescher is Generation Adidas and Hamid, Robinson, Martin and Durkin are all Home Grown so all of the are protected.

I think Boswell is the perfect player to expose. He's at the end of his career and has lost a step. There's no two ways about it. And as defenders go, he's expensive. Deleon, Kamara, Franklin all exposed. Igbo too if he's still on the roster. Out of Korb, Sarvas, and Vincent, one of the three need to be left exposed. I would not want to make the call on that!

Protect List:

Acosta
    Birnbaum
    Jeffrey
    Kemp
    Mullins
    Neagle
    Nyarko
    Opare
    Sam

Two of three: Korb, Sarvas, Vincent

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm pretty sure Home Grown isn't a permanent status. Hamid isn't covered anymore.

Boloni86 and fatbastard repped this.
  7. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm sure your right. However I can find no where on MLS website that references Home Grown players dropping off at some point. The only thing I read is that Home Grown are protected period.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, as has been pointed out, since it's one out of three, I'd expose the one of Vincent or Korb that McGee dislikes - without McGee being one of the guys picking, I easily expose Korb as he was out injured all year, but Amos knows how he is really doing. Whether that's a good or bad thing, only the coaches and trainers know for sure.

Remember the rules: United pick first, United picks second; United can only lose one player to the draft.

jason1551, Winoman, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's no longer on a HomeGrown contract, he's graduated to a Kush-y contract :cool:

Boloni86 and Funkfoot repped this.
  10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that were the questions...
    It's extremely easy. #ReleaseTheKorb

As someone else said, I'm pretty sure Hamid needs to be protected... meaning it's one of Sarvas or Vincent in this situation. Harder call. Depends on other needs/plans. If the plan is to replace Sarvas, you need his cap space to replace him. If the plan is to replace Vincent/Jeffrey in the lineup, you need to keep Sarvas.

11. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarvas is another step slower next year. He's not the answer.

Boloni86 repped this.
  12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expose both Jeffrey, Korb & Vincent. The smart move would be to pick one of them. I'd probably protect Boswell instead of Jeffrey, Korb or Vincent because Boswell was basically getting the job done last year and he'd be a great No. 3 centerback in the upcoming season. I think that we'd lost either Jeffrey or Vincent because Korb is injury prone.

13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can live with losing Jeffrey or Vincent. I thought they both had good seasons but they are replacement level to me.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Once they sign a new, senior contract, they are automatically promoted to the senior roster and no longer under Home Grown status.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Didn't protect enough internationals and Hamid isn't under a Home Grown contract, so he would not be automatically exempt.

16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 GumbyG, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    With Aguilar gone, we're down to three internationals - Acosta, Kamara, and Igbo. Vincent is a green card. Igbo's salary is way too high for his production, so we'll protect Acosta and Kamara. Sarvas' age and salary are a poison pill, so we very likely won't protect him. Kemp, Mishu and Dykstra are no longer on the roster. That reduces our slots to 9 for this list of "protect or expose" players with non-int'l, non-GA, non-homegrown status:

Mullins
    Neagle, Sam, Nyarko, Rolfe
    Jeffrey
    Vincent
    Kemp, Opare, Boswell, Birnbaum, DeLeon, Franklin (if he re-signs)
    Hamid, Worra, Horton

Guaranteed salaries over $200K:
    Acosta is 22, $???, $450K - $1M
    Birnbaum is 25, $???, somewhere in the $450K range
    Boswell is 33, $260K
    DeLeon is 26, $235K
    Franklin is 31, $??? renegotiating from $256K
    Rolfe is 33, $272K
    Sam is 32, $240K
    Hamid is 26, $370K
    Nyarko is 30, $225K
    Sarvas is 35, $425K

Am I missing anyone?

EDIT: It's probably safe to assume we won't protect Rolfe either at his age/salary and with the extended concussion recovery.

EDIT 2: I have no idea if guaranteed salaries are the best way to look at salary cap hit, but here's a great article on the subject that will fascinate you right up until the headache starts.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Also in yesterday's Goff article, DCU working on trading Igbo. Very vague as to within MLS or outside, so that could alter the protected list next week. I kind of hope he gets traded on Monday during that half day trading period before the list gets sent in. Also, if Franklin doesn't sign DCU's latest offer, he's a free agent and should not be on our protected list.

fatbastard repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #43 Boloni86, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Is it mandatory to protect two internationals, and why?

Edit :

Found my answer :

• Clubs are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus three, provided that if a Club has three or fewer international players it may not make more than one such player available.

19. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    According to the DCU roster homepage, which looks out of date, here are the listed internationals:
    Acosta
    Igbo
    Kamara
    Sabo

Assuming, that is correct, we can remove Sabo off that list as he's no longer with the club. Technically, we would not have to protect any of the three listed internationals.

Anyway, here is my latest list of protected players:
    Protected HG and GA: Buescher, Robinson, Martin, Durkin
    1. Mullins
    2. Acosta
    3. Neagle
    4. Nyarko
    5. Sam
    6. Kemp
    7. Birnbaum
    8. Hamid
    9. DeLeon
    10. Sarvas
    11. Boswell

Exposed: Dykstra, Horton, Igbo, Jeffrey, Kamara, Opare, Rolfe, Worra, Vincent
    Previously Cut: Aguilar, Korb(invited back to training camp)
    Free Agent: Franklin
    Retired from professional soccer: Mishu
    Returned to Costa Rica: Sabo

With this listed I wanted to first protect "vital" players; our forward, A-mid, three wingers, Kemp, Birnbaum and Bill. That leaves three spots to play with. If Franklin was going to sign, he would have done so by now. I think he enters free agency and I'll consider him not on the roster as he's not under contract for next year. Now that we need a RB, I'm protecting NDL as he proved he can play that position and multiple other midfield positions if Olsen needs to tinker with formations late in games.

The next two spots should really come down to what the needs are of Atlanta and Minnesota United FC's rosters and after that I would assume they would add best player available with respect to their cap needs. Since I don't know that I went ahead and protected our best players left: Marcelo and Captain Boswell. Not sure about Marcelo, but I'm sure any of those expansion clubs would love to have a proven CB in their staple during the first year. As most on here would love to see Opare push for more minutes, I'm not sure I would fully trust our younger CB's to fill in if Birnbaum or Boswell miss a stretch of games.

20. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Atlanta's current roster from wiki:
    10 Midfielder Almirón, MiguelMiguel Almirón (DP) Paraguay
    16 Midfielder McCann, ChrisChris McCann (on loan to Coventry City) Ireland
    Midfielder Burgos, JuniorJunior Burgos El Salvador
    Midfielder Carleton, AndrewAndrew Carleton (HGP) United States
    Midfielder Goslin, ChrisChris Goslin (HGP) United States
    Midfielder Heath, HarrisonHarrison Heath England
    Forward Jones, KenwyneKenwyne Jones (on loan to Central) Trinidad and Tobago
    Midfielder Kratz, KevinKevin Kratz Germany
    Forward Otoo, JeffreyJeffrey Otoo Ghana
    Defender Parkhurst, MichaelMichael Parkhurst United States
    Goalkeeper Tabakis, AlexandrosAlexandros Tabakis Greece
    Forward Vazquez, BrandonBrandon Vazquez United States
    Midfielder Villalba, HéctorHéctor Villalba (on loan to Tijuana; DP) Argentina
    Forward Williams, RomarioRomario Williams Jamaica
    Also note: Atlanta trade GAM to Chicago for GK Sean Johnson and then trade him to NYCFC for GAM and TAM
    Also note: Brad Guzan is rumored to sign with Atlanta this week
    That's 14 players signed, 15 if Guzan is signed. 5 more players in the expansion draft. A top pick in the Superdraft. That roster is almost complete.

Minnesota United's roster from wiki:
    Defender Davis, JustinJustin Davis United States
    Defender Greenspan, JosephJoseph Greenspan United States
    Defender Venegas, KevinKevin Venegas United States
    Note former DCU U-23 coach and Assistant coach Ammos Magee is the Director of Minnesota Player Personnel. With a roster consisting of only three defenders to date. I would not be surprised if he grabbed a DCU player if he is looking for a safe bet as they fill out this roster. Not hearing many rumors either.

fatbastard repped this.
  21. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    (Unless I'm missing some intended sarcasm)

Yeah, but if the MLS FO could find a way to screw-over the original "United" at the same time too, they would-- with big crap-eating smiles on their faces.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Igboananike traded to Portland

"It also freed up a spot for United as it determined its protected list for Tuesday’s MLS expansion draft."
    Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...ls-cup-ambition-evolution#6LC5PtOw8MXHL6qp.99

Presuming that info is correct, we can protect just Kamara and Acosta. Otherwise, why make this trade and send an international slot, right?

From above: "Clubs are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus three, provided that if a Club has three or fewer international players it may not make more than one such player available."

Aguilar will be unprotected now... which makes sense because he doesn't seem to figure in our plans.

sitruc repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Aguilar has already been released, no? He's not listed on our roster anymore. I thought the whole point of dealing Igbo now is to not waste a protection slot.

My guess is that last spot goes to either Vincent or Opare.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make sense...
    Except for the Burrito part of this article makes it seem like maybe not.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...draft-changes-burrito-out-rsl-hedges-new-deal

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently we traded Igbo's rights to Portland for some cones and an international slot - and then traded Aguilar's rights to the Galaxitives for a bag to keep the cones in.
    And now we have fewer Int'l players to have to protect

yabo and Winoman repped this.