2017 Dallas Cup and Generation Adidas Cup

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Clint Eastwood, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Rennicks turn 18 in 15 days so if he's suspended the whole season he might as well just go to Europe.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yes, sounds like a logical option, but we don't know if any clubs have a legitimate interest in him. It's not like Taitague going to Schalke at 17 when it was clear that his being there was a done deal. Maybe Rennicks can line up some more trials.

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Rennicks is not some transformative talent. Many went to Europe to gain little of no interest. Then again the list of US youth players to be signed by pretty good teams to really not be part of the plan is pretty long. Alot of filler.

4. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not necessarily.....in the Dallas market....Some of these smaller clubs cannot afford some of their best players to be gone for 1-2 academy games. They don't have the depth. It can have a huge impact on their standings/playoffs. If you go and they don't make it, they may as well bench you for 2-3 weeks. Their goal is getting kids scholarships to college. Our kid was told. Don't worry about that....we have Harvard, Dartmouth etc wanting you. This was the goal of a Solar soccer club. Parents love to hear that the players from the club go to schools like this. Most parents know their kid is not going to pro and are looking for that scholarship. That is great for the masses. This is not what my kid wanted. He just wanted to know...Can he compete at a European club. Despite two parents who attended Ivy League schools, he knew what Ivy soccer was and there was little interest. So it was clear to us he would be punished on Solar had he gone under them. FCD has the depth. Very different goals at FCD than a Solar.

Kombucha repped this.
  5. FC Dallas 1

FC Dallas 1 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm sure the boy and his family knew the rules, with his talent and visibility you don't chance that.

He turns 18 in a few days. New England lost here, as he will find options.

I assure you he's training somewhere now waiting on the right opportunities to come about.

6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    TCS35,

Do you mind me asking what happened with your kid? Is he in college or abroad? Or is he still with FCD? I'm really curious as your opinion of the whole trialing process and Benfica in particular(I'm hoping Parks ends up there).

7. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I don't disagree with what you are saying, but isn't the bolded part above exactly what MLS is doing to non-MLS affiliated youth clubs?

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not really the same thing. My point is that MLS clubs who are paying for all their training shouldn't be encouraging players to go elsewhere. non MLS youth clubs are not paying for everything and don't have first teams for the players to play for. The affiliated teams are getting some benefit with their affiliation and know the next step after their club is going to the MLS team. There is a quid pro quo in affiliation relationship. This all ties into training fees that US clubs don't want to pay which is for another time.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

On the FCD fan podcast, the 19th minute, they discussed this Rennicks situation. These guys are more "insiders" than I am at this point. THey said that in the past there was a similar situation to the Rennicks one at FCD, but they ended up repairing the relationship with the player. They weren't talking about McKennie.

FCD had players go to these "training" arrangements in Europe in the past. I mentioned Kellyn Acosta as a kid who did one of these "training" stints. I forget which club it was at. Freiburg or Frankfurt or some club of that ilk (If it was one of the bigger clubs I'd remember). So they could easily have been talking about Kellyn on that radio show. I put "training" in quotes because any training stint with a young kid is really a trial.

This Rennicks scenario is probably pretty common. The Galaxy's relationship with Haji Wright was clearly severed when he started pursuing European interest. The same with McKennie and Dallas. The oddity with the Revs/Rennicks case is that they didn't sever the relationship. He came back, only to be "suspended." That's really bizarre.

I don't blame the Revs for being ticked that Rennicks pursued overseas training/trialing opportunities. I'm criticizing them for their response.

TCS35, TxEx and SUDano repped this.
  10. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He is at FCD. Went to UCLA for a semester. Hint

KUSA77, TarHeels17, ielag and 9 others repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I knew it (only figured it out recently though)!

I hope he gets his debut soon, but the Grana signing obviously complicates that. I like what I've seen of how he plays, and hopefully he can sneak onto the U-20 WC team. He's definitely better than Herrera.

Eighteen Alpha and TCS35 repped this.
  12. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I agree from NE prospective it sucks. But ultimately it is lose/lose for them. Either way this kid isn't playing for them now right? You could say, well now other kids in the future won't go against them, but it may also scare other kids away in the future. Its kinda the life you have to chose when you aren't top dog in your field.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He'll be fine. First year transitioning to being a full time pro and all that comes with it.
    At every good club on Earth there's going to be competition for playing time.

This upcoming week FCD has 3 games in 7 days. I won't be surprised to see Reggie make his debut (maybe not start) this week. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Still want to see FCD just be ridiculous and field Cannon, Pomykol, Ferreira, and Reynolds on the Dallas Cup team :) I realize I'm the only one on Earth, but I do want to see FCD go out there and win that thing. Its a big deal for the soccer community in Texas. [Its priority #987635, but still...............its selfishly important to me.] With those players not in the team (and the Vega move to San Antonio), the FCD U18s are just "good."

TCS35 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Long term outlook does look good. Zimmermann might be sold and Grana is older.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

What you hope for may very well happen. Cannon, Pomykol and Ferreira recently played U18 academy game against solar (1:0, I think)

TCS35 repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When was the last time Blaine Ferri played for Solar......................:)!?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked he's never played a U18 DA game for them.
    He made a handful of U16 appearances for them last season.

17. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You are right he hasn't played a minute. He is away at residency so obviously he can't play regular academy games of frontier conference. Not like Solar people care, they have milked Blaine thing enough and continuously (i.e. they have done such a horrible job with academy teams, but they always can say: look, we developed Blaine! Even though they have absolutely zero to do with that)

CapeCodFutbol and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'd like to see him at RB and try Fossey on the left. Can't be worse than what we have.

TCS35 repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only seen him against SMU but he looked ready for pro minutes. I'm thinking all the new HG's will be taken along slowly unless there are major injuries. Hope by the end of the year they've gotten big minutes.

TCS35 repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Groups for Generation Adidas Cup have hit the "dark web." For some reason not really announced yet in a meaningful way. Some tough international competition for these MLS teams!
    [​IMG]

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #147 Clint Eastwood, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    We're really not that far from opening day of the Dallas Cup...............
    I haven't seen the full schedule yet, but opening day in the Cotton Bowl is set.
    Unsurprisingly, the best youth clubs in North America are the best youth clubs in North America. RSL, TFC, and FCD are competing at both the GenAd Cup and the Dallas Cup at the same time. Not quite the same age groups (U19 versus U17), but still.................the talent will need to be split up. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing these rosters. I bet FCD "goes for it" with as good of a roster for the Dallas Cup as they can muster (including Cannon, Pomykol, Ferreira, and Reynolds).

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. ShadowMoses2

ShadowMoses2 Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Austin, Tx
    Where is the GenAd cup being played?

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The GenAd Cup is April 7th-April 15th.
    The Dallas Cup April 9th-April 16th

It goes by quick. We should be getting the full schedules any time now.
    Both competitions are in Frisco, so its a week of youth soccer mayhem down there.

ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it has already been mentioned or not but are any of these games gonna be streamed on YouTube?

ShadowMoses2 repped this.