Pre-match: 2017 Confederations Cup Playoff: USA vs Mexico, October 10th 2015

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    A 100% Bedoya is a good player to have on the field; his not being there is a challenge for sure. I'd probably just slot Williams into that slot.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said they were an underdog. Therefore for you "they were exceeding expectation". So your claim is that Vox Sebsasour, Vox Populi??

3. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    So go picket outside Chicago House. If you'd prefer the team lose so that Klinsmann and Sunil take a hit rather than see Michael Bradley hoist a trophy while El Tri and its 70,000 fans cry, then I just don't know what to tell you.

4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams would be the one who kept play through that position closest to the way the team has been practicing with Bedoya. The more cohesion we have today, the better.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Russia is already effected, regardless if we get a new coach or not. We've lost over a year of preparation. Thats not to say that bringing in a new coach won't help out, but most teams aren't losing a year of preparation, we have. Thats put us behind other teams in our preparation. Qatar probably isn't effected since its so far away.

6. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I can't agree with this. I would *never* root against the USMNT, and especially, not against Mexico! The closer I get to this is to hope that if we must lose, then at least we lose by a lot so that Klinsmann is kicked out, but I do *much* prefer that we win, and will be strongly rooting for our win. What I'm saying is that the worst possible scenario for me is that we lose by 1-0 or a PK series. I find that to be much worse than losing by 5-0 or 6-0, because we'd miss the Confederations Cup anyway *and* remain stuck with JK in case of a narrow loss.

I suspect that even if you are saying so, the emotions will take over and if we score you'll be jumping up and down and celebrating.

7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    So I have Wood with 1596 league minutes, and 0.395 goals/90 by that measure.

Cut out the people above with sample size issues, or a very large number of sub appearances (since that raises questions whether they're even starting material at any level regardless of their scoring ability), and you get Sapong, Altidore, Bruin, Dwyer, Davies, Dempsey, McNamara, and Agudelo. And yes again I would be comfortable calling in most of those players given the state of our pool. Bruin and McNamara probably not. The rest, there's just not a lot separating most of them.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Why are we cutting the people with sample size issues or sub appearances out? Isn't it more impressive to score an equal amount of goals in fewer minutes? You might as well say "cut out the guys that demonstrate how average at best Wood is"

You're also missing a game in your numbers.

9. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, there's a Klinsmann thread in US Men where you can post stuff like this. For now, we're keeping the JK debate from infecting every thread in News and Analysis. Thanks.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What time is kick-off scheduled for?

11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it 9:30 EST?

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Cut out sample size issues because I've been tracking this stuff for a long time, and I've noticed that players with good goalscoring runs over less than say 900 minutes, often never have anything like that again over a larger number of minutes. I don't know where that cutoff point would be, but it's definitely higher than several people on that list.

Cut out people being used primarily as subs because if you can't start at this level, then I don't want you on the national team in important matches, simple as that. Even if you've got Jeff Cunningham goalscoring numbers.

Also I just checked again on another website. I don't think I'm missing games.

13. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    With all due respect, isn't this a bit unrealistic? The JK debate "infects" other threads about the USMNT because he *is* the head coach of the USMNT and a controversial one to boot, so it's a bit hard to debate the team without at least brushing a bit on the issue of the coach, who is an integral part of the team.

I think what is in *everybody's* mind is what happens to the coach if we lose this game. I think it's virtually impossible to deny the issue and expect that we'll talk strictly about the players or the play-by-play without ever considering what the coach is doing or not doing.

This would curtail too much the discussion. I'm no moderator but it's my humble opinion, and I beg you to consider it.

deuteronomy and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  14. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Yes. 6:30 PM in California.

15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Fair enough. I used ESPN FC's game log to get my #s but its certainly possible to have added a game in there.

My overall point was that Bobby Wood isn't a special player. Seeing his numbers equal guys like Bruin and McNamara and Davies, and then seeing him get called in despite that overall ordinary level of play and I question the player evaluation that goes into calling him into camp in the first place, even as an extra body. If guys like Bruin and McNamara (soild pros, good for them) are your equal, you aren't a NT level player unless you have some standout skill. Which he doesn't.

16. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unrealistic as it may be, it's our goal for right now because of a small group of posters who insist on riding the Klinsmann merry-go-round at the expense of any other meaningful discussion and/or analysis. We've fielded a number of complaints recently about constant personal attacks and snarky posting in News and Analysis and we've decided to step in more proactively to make sure discussions are more or less on track and don't become iterations of the same old coaching debates. Hence our moving the JK thread to US Men. Thanks for understanding.

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  17. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sportin the Bradley waldo jersey today. We'd probably be alright tonight if we used that kit for this game. It's a crying damn shame.

18. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got Santa Ana conditions (very hot and very dry) this weekend in LA, around 100 degrees in Rose Bowl area, that may affect US more than MX.

19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize, it's just an easy wormhole to fall down.

Friedel'sAccent repped this.
  20. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100 degrees?? Jeeeeeeez luh-weeeeeez.

21. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    OK, fair enough. But like I said, it will be hard. Especially if Mexico scores and we fall behind - people will naturally be mad at Klinsmann and will want to make comments about it.

22. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why the PbP threads are in US Men, and not in News and Analysis. Again, this isn't up for discussion.

23. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discussion of the US Men's Manager's impact on the USMNT just isn't for discussion. Got it.

25. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh, of course you know that's not what I'm saying, not is it what DK wrote the other day. Feel free to antagonize and attack other posters in World Rivalries, if you must. This discussion is closed.