2017 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Dec 17, 2016.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

3. arcadiandj

arcadiandj Member

May 3, 2016
    I was walking around the CU sports complex the other day. WOW! What a complex. Now I haven't sampled complexes around the NCAA, but I have been to a few high end resorts in my day. That place has to help when it comes to recruiting. Have any of you been to other NCAA sports complexes? What about professional sports complexes? Is anyone that much better than CU?

What kind of saddens me though, is the emphasis on football. Football in my mind is kind of like our president. Big, brash, bad, and brain damaged:( Such is our reality.

blissett, derbarkasmann and cpthomas repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Assume you mean the indoor practice facility and the surrounding amenities such as the weight room, cold baths, etc.

I haven't seen other athletic facilities either, but I agree about the WOW factor.

The indoor practice facility comes in handy anywhere from September to May. They played their spring game v KSU there due to snow. (I have to say that it's too bad that the track around the field makes it impossible to have a regulation width pitch.)

5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    A partial home schedule from the season ticket promotion:

"Single-game tickets will go on sale for CU soccer after the 2017 schedule is announced over the summer. The home schedule this season will include non-conference matches against TCU, BYU, Colorado College and UC Riverside, as well as Pac-12 opponents UCLA, California, Stanford, Arizona and Arizona State."

6. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most exceedingly partial schedule:

August 20, Colorado College at home.

September 8, at Texas. I hope it's a home-and-home. I saw us play Texas a few times and they were all great games, skillfully and cleanly played.

7. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #107 BuffsPios, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Looking at the schedule posted thus far, the PAC-12 looks to be the new Thursday-Sunday scenario, which is better for the players' health, and crucial for a small-roster team like CU's. The pre-season schedule posted so far is the old Friday-Sunday scenario. We play Cal-State Northridge on Saturday 9/2 and BYU two days later on Monday 9/4. Sure hope the Cougars also have a game that Saturday or it could be tough...although they usually don't play their best in Boulder. We play UCLA at home again which is nice... a great chance to see half the future USWNT's roster. We beat them last year and no reason that we can't do it again. The schedule overall seems to present the best RPI potential we've ever had. And with a terrific home schedule with top competition. Also Cal and Stanford in Boulder. I think we open the season at CSU...that's snake-pit when they have a big crowd...we were lucky to get away with a tie up there last time. Need to have all guns a-blazing from the first whistle this time. It's not on this early schedule, but I assume we'll play DU in 2017...and probably down there this time. Sko Buffs!

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CU travels to USC on Oct 13 for a Friday kickoff on one of the single game conference weekends

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I really don't like that single game weekend matches take place on Fridays rather than Saturdays. I know that college football takes precedence over everything else in the fall, but it just makes sense in a variety of ways. In particular, it eliminates missing classes on Friday for the traveling team.

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Agreed and hope I can make it to most if not all of the home matches.

On paper this group should have about as much attacking talent as any team in CU history. Hope that translates into frequent goals!

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it's typical for players, if they possibly can do it, to select their Fall courses so that they don't have Friday classes. That would make a ton of sense.

12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was the schedule posted? I may be missing something obvious, but I can't find it.

13. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Teams travel the day before games, so for the approx. four PAC-12 away-game Th-Sun series that each team plays, they are gone from campus from Wednesday morning/early afternoon through Sunday night. Plus probably an average of two 4 day weekends away per season for non-conference games. Not that bad really, and I'm sure the academic support programs that all these schools have make it as easy as possible for student-athletes to be absent. And for soccer, post-season play doesn't typically conflict with final exam schedules...it does conflict in sports like football, lacrosse, baseball, etc. The killer for me would be dealing with the common/standard daily early morning practice schedules designed to clear the full day for classes. But I guess youth prevails and it works for most kids...certainly seems to for soccer and lacrosse at CU with each team posting high GPAs every year.

14. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    derbarkasmann...it may be elsewhere too, but the only schedule I've seen is on the season ticket renewal website...can't remember if it shows at the outset or if it comes-up only with the purchase confirmation e-mail. It's not a complete schedule...at least it's not complete for away games.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  16. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The concerns for missing class time is valid but the good thing is that it looks like the Buff are getting it done in the classroom with a team gpa of 3.35 and a nice APR. Athletes tend to have much higher gpa's than general students and women's soccer players tend to do very weel academically so the missed class time seems to not hurt them too much. Looking forward to a good home schedule this year!!!

17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More exceedingly partial schedule ...

We open the season at Colorado State on Friday August 18. The Rams play well against us. Two years ago in Fort Collins, we scored late off a deflection to tie them 1-1, and last year at home we defeated them 2-1. They will have already played a game at Washington State on the 9th.

Buffs at Denver, Saturday September 16 at 7PM. Denver's schedule is out at http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports/w-soccer/sched/denv-w-soccer-sched.html

An abundance of soccer at Prentup Field on Sunday August 20, beginning with Colorado State and Denver late in the morning, followed by Northern Colorado and Air Force at 1:15PM. Then the Buffs play Colorado College at 3:30.

UNC's schedule is out at http://www.uncbears.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc. Colorado State's schedule is out at http://www.csurams.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/053017aaa.html.
    Our schedule is known to some people which does not include me.

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Brigham Young in Boulder on Monday, Sept. 4 @ 1 pm.

Why does it have to start at 1 pm? I understand that BYU doesn't play on Sundays, but no reason for a 1 pm kickoff on a Monday.

http://byucougars.com/schedule/w-soccer/2017

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    September 4 is a holiday

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Good point - next time I'll check the calendar before I start complaining. And even better, I'll be in attendance - it should be a tremendous match.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provo is at 4400' altitude, to Boulder's 5500'. So, the altitude won't be a big advantage for the Buffs.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Agreed, but it should be a tremendous match - one I'm looking forward to very much. CU should be very good on the attacking end this fall.

24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Here's the a pdf version of the schedule which is going to be easier to read.

http://www.cubuffs.com/documents/2017/6/20//2017_Colorado_Soccer_Schedule.pdf

As we knew coming into this season, CU only has five home matches in conference play. The last being on Oct. 22 v Arizona, followed by three consecutive road matches to end the regular season.

Highlights of the non-conference portion of the season? Home matches v Colorado College and BYU. Road games at CSU to start the season and trips to Texas and DU.

It's gonna be a challenging schedule.