2017 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Dec 17, 2016.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Time to start thinking about next season.

To kick it off it appears the Buffs have landed their fist ever Kiwi, Martine Puketapu. She is starter on the NZ U-20 squad and has scored over 100 goals for her club team, The Three Kings.

2. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Very excited to see Martine Puketapu play. I have heard great things about her!!!

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Do tell. Oh and Go Rapids!

4. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    A Kiwi Buddy of mine sent me some footage of her scoring a Hat Trick in a League Semi-Final for the Kiwi Developmental Team. She looks strong and dynamic. He was sure she would come to the US to play college soccer but didn't know where she'd end up!

5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    #5 unkiemark, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Two days ago Puketapu started for the NZ full national team (aka the "Football Ferns") in a 2-0 home victory over Thailand. It seems she is one of the young players being looked at for the squad that will be attempting to qualify for the next World Cup.

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    If I am reading this correctly, Puketapu is in the starting again in the second game v Thailand which is going on currently in NZ.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  8. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seems like a lot of the top players from Colorado who head to the Southeast as Freshmen ultimately come home to the Buffs. Why not just start here?!

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect to anyone intended, but coaching matters in terms of where players go.

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

12. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    cpthomas No disrespect to anyone intended, but coaching matters in terms of where players go.
    I think the CU coaching staff and program are more than competitive in terms of attracting top players, and all you have to do is look at the roster to confirm that. But as we've discussed before, few if any players (and their parents) are going to turn down a Stanford, or a Duke, or a North Carolina if offered, or Penn State, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Florida State, Santa Clara, etc., and lots of the top California players don't want to leave the beach. And increasingly, in addition, the Buffs are attracting more and more top international players and transfers. Some people knock the transfer thing, but 3 of USC's top 4 scorers and their starting All-PAC GK in 2016 were transfers. It's also well-known that the private schools have a lot more flexibility and ability to be creative in offering scholarships beyond the normal NCAA allotment. Not fair...but reality.

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not necessarily regarding the privates. USC has a policy that if you take any Athletic money you cant take any academic or need based $. This actually makes it VERY difficult to recruit unless you have a kid that is a 4+GPA

14. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Surprised to hear that USC has that issue...it's a very expensive school...maybe even more than Stanford and Santa Clara.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was complimenting the current coach. It takes the ship (Division I women's college soccer program) a long time to turn around -- about 8 years. That he's drawing some transfers of players originally from Colorado is an indication that he's a better magnet for Colorado players than Hempen was, and it's probably an indicator that pretty soon Colorado players will go right to Boulder out of high school.

16. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    cp...I guess I wasn't sure about that so was maybe being a tad defensive. Every HC and staff has its strengths and limitations as we know, and it sounds like you agree that the Buff contingent is a pretty darn good one. They all say it, but I think the Buff program has a real and legit supportive family atmosphere to it from the players' perspective, and the word gets around. Doesn't hurt that they were 8-2-1 in the PAC this year and also did really well in 2014.

17. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

18. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    another HUGE transfer in the works...anyone know if she signed?

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Only the two on the tweet above, Becca Rasmussen (Georgia) and Cassie Phillips (Maryland).

20. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is a 3rd and she has a profile that goes on for days. Big time goal scorer and fast. Have never officially seen her play but her physical attributes and Bio remind me of a darian jenkins type from UCLA. Keep fingers crossed.

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    If she's in Boulder and enrolled at CU I would think we would have heard of it by now. Signing day is Wednesday and I would guess that Sanchez will discuss all the newcomers at that time, including the three that enrolled this semester.

If there are more transfers there won't be anything official until August when the players report for training.

22. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Last year we heard about Bruder and Massey coming about June 1st, so we may know before August if there's another transfer. These rumors are usually based on some truth/fact, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is another one.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Katalyst repped this.
  24. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You got it!!!!

25. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow - LSU loses their top scorer and and incoming player (A Richardson) who also would have seemed to be a key recruit up front. Perhaps something is going on at LSU. Anyway, good for the Buffs