2017-2018 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 13, 2017.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    frankieboylampard and IASocFan repped this.
  2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Did anyone watch the end of the Liverpool v. Sevilla match? There was some send-off but my FS-Go en espanol for some reason didn't show what the send-off was for. And I was going back and forth between the tott-dort match.

3. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I believe it was a justified 2nd YC.

4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I figured that the player had done something like that. There was little dissent from him and Klopp, Klopp also didn't "klopp-rage" or anything. He was more upset about something the Sevilla manager said/did at the end of the match. The manager for Sevilla was rightly dismissed to for good reason that match.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video here:

https://streamable.com/i0c1x

At least the standard we have to meet for interfering with an opponent is clear-cut here. It's either "clearly attempting to play the ball, when this action impacts an opponent" or it's nothing. There's no challenging. There's no obvious action that impacts an opponent's ability to play the ball. And there's no obstructing vision.

Ultimately, I think this goal should stand. At the very least, the flag shouldn't go up immediately. Play should have continued and then the AR could have stood at attention so that he could talk it out with the referee. I see the argument that Lloris was impacted, but in reality I don't think it happened. He reacts to the potential shot from the player in an OSP, but he resets himself immediately and the player in the OSP has no bearing whatsoever on how he then handles Pulisic.

That said, the other side of the argument is that Lloris does show a reaction to the aborted shot from the player in an OSP, and that should be enough to trigger offside. It's certainly debatable. Is any visible reaction enough to say Lloris was "impacted?" If so, offside is the correct decision. I personally don't think the interpretation should be so broad, but I don't know if there is an answer for this exact play.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not the best from the Czech crew on the Apollon-Lyon EL match:

https://streamable.com/65ckz

This went from a gutsy and correct decision to an absolutely baffling and inexplicable reversal in under two minutes. I'm at a loss at how this happens and particularly perplexed by the relative lack of protest.

7. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    My only thought, and this is a bit of a reach, is that the ref blew the whistle and pointed out a potential head injury, thus stopping the play. Certainly looked like he was pointing at the spot, but the injury was in that general direction as well. Looked like the GK put it back into play as a DK, but is it possible that someone played him the ball?
    As I said, reaching..but as you said, it's inexplicable that no one protested either the original PK call, or the reversal.

8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchday 2

Group E
    Sevilla - Maribor: KULBAKOV (BLR)
    Spartak Moscow - Liverpool: TURPIN (FRA)

Group F
    Napoli - Feyenoord: COLLUM (SCO)
    Man City - Shakhtar: SOUSA (POR)

Group G
    Besiktas - RB Leipzig: KARASEV (RUS)
    Monaco - Porto: VINCIC (SVN)

Group H
    Dortmund - Real Madrid: KUIPERS (NED)
    APOEL - Tottenham: KRALOVEC (CZE)

Marquee match for Kuipers, nice appointment for Vincic.

IASocFan repped this.
  9. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Group A
    Basel - Benfica: THOMSON (SCO)
    CSKA Moscow - Man Utd: ERIKSSON (SWE)

Group B
    PSG - Bayern Munich: MATEU LAHOZ (ESP)
    Anderlecht - Celtic: GIL MANZANO (ESP)

Group C
    Qarabag - Roma: SOARES DIAS (POR)
    Atletico Madrid - Chelsea: CAKIR (TUR)

Group D
    Sporting Lisbon - Barcelona: HATEGAN (ROU)
    Juventus - Olympiacos: STIELER (GER)

Mateu Lahoz for the biggest match of the round, Cakir is a pair of safe hands for Atletico Madrid - Chelsea. UCL debuts for Gil Manzano and Stieler.

IASocFan repped this.
  10. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Kuipers missed a handling PK that should have been called on Madrid in the first half. Kind of a chaotic scene in the box, probably hard for anyone to see, but a PK nonetheless.

(video when I can find it)

11. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Guess you could argue that he was protecting his face, but I think it's still a PK.

Orange14 repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I along with the Fox crew who were calling the match also thought it a hand ball. Maybe it would have changed the game, maybe not. Madrid always seem to come up big in CL matches.

13. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also wondered about this - Kuipers clearly sold the "safe" signal for no foul, but I felt like this sorta tread into simulation territory: https://streamable.com/3otxh

I know there's some contact, but he seems to go through the flail and fall later than expected...

EDIT: I'm not completely sold it was a dive, he likely tried to keep balance and sold it when he couldn't - just asking the group.

14. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I don't think the Ramos play is deliberate. Unnatural position yes, expected ball no, time to react no, perhaps ball not even going into the goal. Tough to detect from R and AAR angle, not even sure what VAR would have ruled. Not gonna fault the crew for this one.

Bale's play was neither foul nor simulation, Sokratis got the ball and then tangled with Bale's feet. Bale exaggerated yes but not enough for mandatory caution + 2CT.

uniqueconstraint repped this.
  15. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Not sure what the ball not going into the goal has to do with anything...no one is advocating for a RC, just a PK.

16. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Really? Too much over thinking here. If seen correctly, it's a clear penalty and obvious red card. No other option. Anything else would be scandalous.

Only reason this was not just was that crew just was not sure if contact was made with Ramos ' hand and not face .

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually am pretty confident all relevant powers that be would not want a red here. The ball is moving away from goal and that detail is absolutely critical. The handling did not deny a goal. And you'd have to really stretch some interpretations to say it denied an obvious opportunity.

18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It was cleared off the goal line!

The ball was literally a foot or less away from the goal line. Maybe with the spin, it could have spun away from goal. The keeper behind him was diving thinking the ball was going on.

I think you have to stretch it to say it wasn't an obvious goal.

I know the media and pundits don't matter, but all are saying that if seen and called, it should be a red.

Remember we are in an age of "what football expects." It is even stated in the Laws. I think everyone's expectation there is a red card.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a factual standpoint, you don't. The ball wasn't going in the net. That's the standard. When someone deliberately handles a shot at goal and the referee is certain it's going over the net or wide, we can't give a red. Similar standard here. Take away the handling and there is no goal. You can't send him off for denying a goal. So you're left with the OGSO standard. And that's trickier.

20. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have to think RedStar91 is looking at a different clip than the one akindc posted. The short clip in post #61 makes it clear the keeper punched the ball away from goal before it made contact with Ramos.

21. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  22. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Focus on the view from behind the goal, played about 16 seconds into this clip.

IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  23. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Have to agree with MassRef here, no way that's going into goal so it can't be a red (no opponent anywhere near to be denied an OGSO either).

If the referee had given a PK and nothing more then any complaints had been from Madrid fans only.

Not sure what you are watching tbh, the keeper dives past Ramos and pushed the ball away from goal before Ramos handles it. Could even make a decent argument for it not being handling at all since the ball comes at him form a very short distance but I'd say that a handling call is what's expected.

refinDC, IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchday 3

Group E
    Spartak Moscow - Sevilla: ROCCHI (ITA)
    Maribor - Liverpool: KASSAI (HUN)

Group F
    Man City - Napoli: MATEU LAHOZ (ESP)
    Feyenoord - Shakhtar: UNDIANO MALLENCO (ESP)

Group G
    Monaco - Besiktas: MAZIC (SRB)
    RB Leipzig - Porto: TAGLIAVENTO (ITA)

Group H
    APOEL - Dortmund: KULBAKOV (BLR)
    Real Madrid - Tottenham: MARCINIAK (POL)

Big games goes to Marciniak and Mateu Lahoz. Rocchi and Tagliavento also constantly getting decent games.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  25. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Group A
    CSKA Moscow - Basel: KUIPERS (NED)
    Benfica - Man United: ZWAYER (GER)

Group B
    Anderlecht - PSG: KRALOVEC (CZE)
    Bayern Munich - Celtic: KARASEV (RUS)

Group C
    Qarabag - Atletico Madrid: BUQUET (FRA)
    Chelsea - Roma: SKOMINA (SVN)

Group D
    Juventus - Sporting CP: OLIVER (ENG)
    Barcelona - Olympiacos: COLLUM (SCO)

Big game for Skomina. Zwayer and Oliver also with nice appointments.