2017-2018 U-23 / Asian Games Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jitevra, Jun 23, 2017.

1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

what passion looks like...

2. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    #202 Fector, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    The red card was probably a straight red even though Jang also carried a yellow. That is what a Saudi referee does to Korea all the time.
    I think Uzbeks were lucky against Japan though probably a little better team than this edition of Japan.

KBG still may not be fired even if he loses to Qatar. That is really sad.
    Even though the score line is a little embarrassing that is most certainly due to the red card in large part and probably will never happen again to anyone other than KBG. Korea were bad than Uzbeks were good.

Even though this was a meaningless tournament it may hurt 30 years from now the way Asian Cup was not taken seriously until 2004 or so but we get taunted by Iranians; Korea would have done much better if they had taken it seriously back in the 60's and 70's.

If Korea lose to qatar, they may lose the top seed for AFC U23 2020.

P.S. You guys don't seem to realize how bad this tournament was for Korea
    1. KBG will keep his job especially if he beats Qatar.
    2. He may even claim that this tournament was a "half-success" and keep his selection over better players.
    3. He humiliated Korea. No one 10 years from now will remember that this was worse than a C team but the scoreline remains. It will be remembered as 4-1 thrashing instead of 1:1 at the end of regulation time and a red card.
    4. Uzbeks are happy. They are people who categorically don't deserve it. I had a high opinion of their sportsmanship even as late as WCQ and then remembered Diego and some of their players trash-talking about a country that vastly outclasses them in every aspect of life.

3. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
  4. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    One of the worst managers we've had. What do you expect? He was recruited by KHG just bc he's KHG's college 후배. This guy was doing fking terrible in his previous job. No outstanding achievements whatsoever. KHG is prob one of the ppl who fked up KFA the most.

aeh1991 repped this.
  5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Kim Bong Gil is the worst manager since years. Worse than Choi Jin Chul, Ahn Ik Soo, even worse than Stielike!

6. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #206 ChaDuRi671, Jan 23, 2018
    Glad I slept through this match.

The fact that we made it this far with a manager/team selection like this is a miracle itself.

We were bad from the beginning of the tournament so I don’t why people on Naver/Daum are overreacting . Hopefully, this is a wake up call. We get rid of Kim Bong-gil and his team selections from ever representing any NT side.

Seol Korea and chook90 repped this.
  7. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Korea really has no concept of defensive positioning. Any good defense needs to be organized between the keeper, center back or a leader in the line and awareness of who does what. Korean teams rarely exhibit this organization in defense. It's pathetic that at this level even with a terrible manager, the defensive line is this clueless.

yhr88 repped this.
  8. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Hopefully Kim Minjae can help with our defence.
    Also I hope some of the other rookies come through...
    Pretty disappointed in Hwang Hyunsoo.

9. yhr88

yhr88 Member

South Korea
    Jun 13, 2017
    I agree. I think the problem lies with the centre backs defending more like defensive midfielders than the last bastion of defense. It baffles me why they abandon their line to make passing lanes for the opposition. Any semi-intelligent player is going to look exactly in the direction where a defender is committing from for an opportunity.

First goal was entirely on HHS. Why in the hell would you break the line when you are established firmly in front of the attacker, have effectively blocked the passing lane of the winger going in behind you, AND have 2 of your midfielders converging on the attacker.

10. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    I only watched after Korea had equalized but the match report appears to say that it was much worse in the 1st half. It is probably unfair to judge this team which came together for the first time when they faced Vietnam. They should have come together by now but KBG is probably an old type of manager who stresses fighting spirit over actual soccer skills and tactics. He is Kim Horogon's man and I see the similarity in the defense-first strategy which comically has not worked in this tournament except being aided by luck.

But I still refuse to believe Uzbeks are special and they began to show their potential just now; they just faced incredibly weak Japan and Korea. They should not cause too much trouble come the Asian Games.

11. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    HHS was in anchor position. It wasn't that he was beaten on speed, or incisiveness of passing. He just had no clue what he was supposed to do in that situation and no defensive awareness. This repeated itself in the other goals where you see Korean defenders with inherent lack of understanding of defensive positioning.

12. yhr88

yhr88 Member

South Korea
    Jun 13, 2017
    This lack of positional understanding extends to most Korean players as well.

I firmly believe that one of the first things that should be ingrained in players during training is spatial awareness. Midfield masterminds like Xavi and Pirlo constantly scanned the space around them so they had a firm understanding of which direction to turn and where the runs were being made. The right turn under pressure can open up the whole field. I hardly see any Korean player look over even one shoulder before receiving the ball. There may have been an excuse before when all fields were dirt and lumpy, therefore, requiring the utmost attention in controlling the ball but even 초딩s have turf these days. It would definitely help with possession and players not sh*tting their pants every time a defender breathed on them.

13. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    I say this as a half-joke since it is kinda unscientific. KBG's face alone tells me he is of old school that values being earnest, hard working, obedient, diligent, disciplined and ,most of all, stupid.

KBG would whack players for not running enough. So typical Korean football players run all the time even when he has no need to and exhaust themselves by HT. Most of time they run in jogging style which is no faster than walking because they have to show they are hard working and not arrogant, not soiled by the Western value.

They are constantly taught cliches like "Be a morally upstanding man before you become a good soccer player". When a defender faces a critical situation, a million things go through his mind and he acts like a deer in headlights and becomes catatonic. But when he takes a penalty kick for instance he has time to think and to realize that the coach can no longer beat them as it is a serious crime now, so to show off he is of the new generation he attempts things like Panenka.

So underneath that Panenka taking X-generation or millennial kid there is still a 10 year old kid who did 원산폭격, got bruises, ran 50 laps around the school yard after screwing up in a soccer match against a neighboring school. He was traumatized but outside he looks fine until... an Uzbek attacker comes near him and he becomes a deer in headlights all over again.

14. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    I really hope Son doesn't become a wingback ever again. We all saw what happened with Chelsea.

15. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Uzbeks were pressing from the first minute until the last. They gave NO ROOM for Korea and you could see the players choking with the lack of space they gave them. It felt as if Korea was playing a Bielsa ultra-pressing team. Korea looked absolutely pathetic. Korea's goal was a crappy set piece, but most of their chances were half-assed and non-existent.

Uzbeks, however, had a pacey wingers that pretty much toyed with the Korean "defense" and played smart through balls. They totally deserved the win as they were 500% better than Korea.

jessypjs and nmssis repped this.
  16. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I'm talking about some of the youth players. I'm thinking about that Bayern player.

17. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #217 ChaDuRi671, Jan 23, 2018
    Uzbekistan wasn't great. We were just fucking terrible the entire tournament. I've been saying it since last week and people (Naver/Daum) are just reacting to this team now? Every single team we played in this tournament pressed high against us and it worked every single time. The Uzbek manager had no problem trying to figure out our weakness. The last 3 matches were dead giveaway on how we played under pressure.

Vietnam, Syria, Australia (2nd half), and Malaysia. They all played high press on us and it worked. Our U23 team did not just get bad instantly against Uzbek. We were like this at the beginning of the tournament. If we had a half decent manager, we wouldn't have played like this. Kim Bong-gil was too stubborn and clueless to change the tactics and formation. (Hell even Choi Yong-soo is 10x the manager Kim Bong-gil is and should have been the U23 manager to lead out this tournament.)

nmssis and chook90 repped this.
  18. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

Did we miss out with 박항서?
    Incredible feat for his squad. Rooting for Vietnam.

nmssis repped this.
  19. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    JHS is the captain y'all. He's definitely going to the wc...

20. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Anything else would've been a surprise. (Not that I'd want it...)

21. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    opps wrong thread lol

22. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    It looks like KBG will be fired.

23. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #223 aeh1991, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Great!! Source?

Edit: now I know why you've said it. Didn't know we lost already (I don't care about this tournament at all).

TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  24. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    Jung Monkey-u as he is called in Korean forums will try to play "Big Boss" one more time but he is already broken and will yield to the really ferocious anti-KBG crowd. You can feel the anger if you read Korean media and forums.

Ironically this was the first game these fools played OK stat-wise. A very typical Korean game; they look like dominating the game but lose at the end.

On the other hand... I don't really know that because I have not watched the game and will not download the game. I just read the match report, match stat. and made a guess.

25. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    So in 2020 Uzbek Korea Iraq Australia can be grouped together.
    Or maybe Japan Korea Iraq Australia if Japan hosts the tournament.