2017/2018 offseason thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No to trading Felipe. Yes to acquiring Parker.

2. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This offseason has been exhausting... just plain emotionally draining. And to think its over a lot sooner than usual thanks to the CCL!

I'm surprised they managed to nab Kaku after all the nonsense. Looking forward to his debut in march.

Parker for TAM sounds like a perfect way to put the team over the top for the year and right up in there in the competitive east conference, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about parting with Felipe over it.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Bring a ny kid home? maybe TAM and Rizzo (he still around) and I would have kept Keira just to sell him as part of a deal like this!

Would the WhiteCaps accept it?

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I can guarantee you this, Felipe would be traded without money, too. That said, Parker is pretty cheap, and Vancouver probably is willing to part with him on a pure cash deal.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Just saw the CCL last night. Felipe was huge, we can't let him go. Collin gave up a stupid PK because he was beaten for speed then quickness.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  7. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to see a guy like Felipe go but the trade is for a need and we already have what appears to be a replacement for him.

8. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so the highly effective midfield trio of Dax, Sacha and Felipe is no more. Its all about the kids now, for better or for worse.

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Red Bulls acquire Parker from Whitecaps in exchange for Felipe, TAM, international spot

So basically, the trade is predicated on the expected utility of each player for the next two years. If Felipe has leveled out (as I believe) and Parker becomes an every game starter for the next several, then NY comes out ahead. That is why Vancouver held up the trade asking for essentially $1M in value. Parker gets a pay raise, and the difference with Felipe's contract is basically zeroed out. NYRB assume the majority (but not all) of the risk, but they also fill a need. Also, NYRB are pretty midfielder heavy. Rzatkowski looks be a genuine player who can do the same things as Felipe only better, and Davis will likely have to drop back to make room for Kaku. That doesn't include Adams or any of the wingers who also like to tuck inside on occasion. Heck, I was thinking last night that Muyl may not have shooting boots for MLS, but he is a bulldog, and there's Basuljevic, and Lade and... There isn't the same depth at CB.

Full disclosure, I was never a fan of Felipe, but I got really tired of his instigation routine last year. He won some fouls, he gave up some fouls, and he pissed off a lot of opponents. I don't think that kind of manipulation is the way to build cohesion.

FWIW, some guys are just perpetual trade bait. Tony Tchani gets traded every couple of years. Sooner or later, someone gets stuck paying the freight on such players, so glad he's not still around.

T.M. Anthony repped this.
  10. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for that cost he had BETTER anchor the CB position for the team for the next two years.

As is, I see he fills the ginger quota that's been unfilled for a year.

[​IMG]

Jury's still out on if he's a ninja though...:ninja:

Woodrow repped this.
  11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Maybe that's why they had an off year last year.

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Are we gonna create a season thread tomorrow? If not I will create one.

Parker with Long should lock down our CB combo. How do we line up the rest of the way? I missed the Olimpa return leg, forgot it was on.

Royer BWP Muyl?
    Adams Kaku
    Davis
    Lawrence Parker Long Murillo
    Robles

This is what I am betting on.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically our season doesn’t start till March 10th ;)

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    With Club Tijuana set for this Tuesday and next sandwiching our home opener, I think we can all agree the priority should be the CCL match. I would like for the Bulls to be the MLS CCL champion. That would be huge for the franchise.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rest EVERYONE for the home opener. I don’t care if we lose 6-0.

Just not 7-0. That would be disgraceful.

Deadtigers repped this.