2017-2018 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by fortcollins, Sep 30, 2017.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really we just seem to be trying to provide an answer to that age old question, how would the USA do if we were in the Oceania World Cup Qualification group.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of it this way.......Are we really improving the team if we are moving to a 3-man backline and Sjoberg's lack of speed and mobility is exposed due to the formation? No. Playing three centerbacks in a 3-5-2 really relies upon and demands the CB's to be mobile and have recovery speed to cover the outside if the wingbacks aren't tracking. That's not to say Sjoberg isn't a good player. I think he is and improving. He is taylormade for a traditonal 4-man backline. He becomes expendable under Hudson's system and has trade value.. Smith is a quality CB. He's played under Hudson with NZ. He knows the system inside and out.

unkiemark, Andy126, AlbertCamus and 3 others repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have Ford-Sjoberg-Smith than Ford-Watts-Smith though. I'm not even thrilled with our depth if we trade Sjoberg and bring in another CB to replace him.

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This trope is getting a bit old already. Realistically Smith is the only New Zealand player who's going to see significant minutes this season. The other two are no more than this year's Castillo. So is it really that surprising that a new coach brings in one of his own guys? Does it matter if our depth players are from New Zealand, the U.S., or Wakanda? ;)

Rod1916 and Andy126 repped this.
  5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda since they take up international slots. But then if the Rapids don't care enough to use those slots I guess not.

6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, however wasn't one of our complaints last year about lack of depth. Our opening XI were barely, at best, MLS caliber and who do the starters practice against? If you allow lack of talent due to a coaches vanity, there is no push on starters and no real completion for starters to prepare for other MLS sides.

What blows my mind is all the talent other MLS teams have found in S. America and yet Rapids keep going for the aged white guy signing. I get we have had some bad signings from there but you need to go where the cheap talent is.

22SteveD repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It's all good unless we meet Peru in the play-offs.

8. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm just glad we made some changes. Any changes.

Personally, I've never liked a three man back line, which often turns into a five man back line. Most defenders have played their entire lives with four. We'll see how long the learning curve is. That said, I am looking forward to watching the team again. The past regime would have brought in a few MLS retreads and told us it was all about jelling. This year, I have no idea what I'll see. (Admittedly, I never thought I'd see Watts beat Tim Howard to the near post.)

Independiente and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The Watts own goal broke Howard. I think it cost us World Cup qualification. It is probably still rippling out there in the galaxy somewhere.

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point in the off-season I'm satisfied with where the roster is, with one obvious exception.

We have significantly better depth in the defense and midfield compared to last year. Goalkeeping is a non-issue with Howard and MacMath, with the third spot likely going to either the draftee Olsen or an MLS pool keeper.

The lack of a proven goalscorer among the new signings is a serious issue. This has been our single greatest need for years and there is no excuse for this not being done. Even with all of the other new signings I can't consider this off-season a success until this happens. Continuing to rely on mediocre forwards while other teams are spending TAM/GAM and DP level money for strikers isn't acceptable.

11. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a pretty good off season for the Rapids

This and...
    The Rapids' off season is pretty good only in a vacuum. It deviates toward average the more MLS teams it's compared against. That said, I'm more optimistic now than I was 6 months ago.

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just re-iterate the ways to get a green card with other posts and said they value "rapids fans" at end.

Not sure why he even bothered with these posts.

14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where? I thought I knew most of the countries on Earth...

<looks up Wakanda>

[​IMG]

meanderingjeeper and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    This concern seems a bit overblown to me, especially as Ford and Smith would be the outside centerbacks.

In a "modern" 4 back offense as played in top level competition, the fullbacks are often way upfield as well and you often have centerbacks racing back to cover counters, including going out to the touchlines. Sjoberg's too slow for that too.

You get away with a little more in MLS.

That said, how reliable were the rumors that Sjoberg is being traded? Were there multiple angles on it like the Tommy Smith rumors?

Soaker888 and IndyRapids04 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though his mention of any loan means the player doesn't count surprised me, I thought it had to be a season-long/no recall loan.

17. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    So seems to me that if Wynne heads off on loan then we have 6. Smith brings it back up to 7. Then with us chasing multiple green cards we may have more spots. Still 5 weeks to get everything organized and green cards can be a long process. Guess this has been worked on for a while. Wonder who will be getting green cards?

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope you're right. To me I see another season where I'm buying tickets to games based on seeing the opponent rather than seeing the Rapids.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Badji and Gashi are likely the only ones here long enough to expect to get one in the near future (and Gashi might be pushing it unless they started working on it during his first season in 2016).

20. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Unless the rapids have very specific information on the status of anyone's green card application, I would not bet *any* money on any GC being delivered within the next five weeks. I doubt they are relying on delivery of green cards to acquire any other international players, bad idea.

LOL. I thought I was the only one who did this.

JasonMa repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be shocked if Badji gets his in the next few weeks. He was rumored to be getting it last season so I bet they feel he's close. Beyond that though...

22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Would have lost to Peru in a home and away playoff? What do I win?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Great minds think alike (?) posted mine w/o reading the rest of the thread.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So the draft happened. No one seems to care.

25. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    it seems mostly irrelevant, especially given our second round position.