2017/2018 Academy News

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 20, 2017.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TDS Ratings for the Academy Programs.

U-18s ranked 25th.

U-16s and U-14s not in the Top 25.

2. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Very disappointing - but maybe a reflection of why we haven't seen more Academy kids. Will be interesting to see what changes, if any, Friedel makes to what he is looking for compared to Heaps

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our Academy system continues to limp along.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. In this past week, 0-7 vs. ATL, 1-5 vs ORL, 1-8 vs. DC.

Doesn't seem competitive at all.

6. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just preparing them for life with the 1st team.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Not sure which age group this is, but some of the best academy players are off working with the Revs in AZ.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not either, but then again, SKC had three/four of them actually playing yesterday against the Revs, so that excuse doesn't really work.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the GA Cup is 2001s and younger.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, just saw this article ... U17s.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 goal for and 30 against.....just like the first team!

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next two worst defenses (SJ: 21 and HOU: 13) gave up 34 combined, only 4 more than the Revs.

13. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I understand the results don't matter, Bilello's spin is laughable. There is nothing good that comes from getting absolutely slaughtered. If they were losing games 2-1, 3-2 (you know, actual soccer scores), I'd be fine. But a -30 goal differential speaks volumes about the lack of talent and coaching relative to MLS' best youth academies.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They suffered a goal differential of -17 during the Revs preseason training. Perhaps, after already being behind in the standings, they decided that they would be better off having their top prospects training with the first team?

Generally the academy teams have done at least okay in their competitions, so this may just be an aberration (I only follow them casually, someone more in touch may have more to add).

And, did we lose Tom Soehn's kid?

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, we played a team the other day that started 3/4 Academy kids I believe. Didn't seem to affect their DA team.

This is yet another place we're behind everyone.

I've been talking to a friend who writes about the Revs and he's working on a piece about the failings of the Revs DA squad and am learning some interesting issues that they have. He believes there's no chance that Rennicks will sign with the Revs due to their actions, and noted that others have noticed. I'll pass it along when it's ready.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Maybe we are recently, but that hasn't always been the case.

It does seem like the org is shooting itself in the *whatever* by being particularly hard@$$ed about stuff more and more lately. The Rennicks and Nguyen situations may have that in common. The Revs seem to live in fear that if they show any flexibility, then everyone ... :eek:

Looking forward to your info ...

dncm repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's always been the case. Let's be honest, Caldwell and Fagundez were from other clubs, it's not like we actually fully developed them.

Crooked and teskicks repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recruitment is part of the academy game in MLS and all around the world, though. Fagundez joined the Revs at age 14, which is young enough to give the Revs some credit for developing him. Caldwell, OTOH, only spent one year in the academy before heading off to Akron. That's similar to guys like Yedlin and Morris who spent very little time in Seattle's academy.

I do share many concerns about the academy. New England is not historically a major talent producer in soccer. The Revs can't rely on just picking off the best local players. Other MLS teams are being more aggressive about scouting and recruiting players around the country, developing coaching, etc.

SKC has signed academy players from Texas, North Carolina (x2), and Tennessee (x2). Kansas City is probably an even less productive market than Boston (for one thing, it's considerably smaller), so SKC is adjusting.

RSL is in the smallest market in the league, but they are hoovering up talent from Arizona, New Mexico, and even parts of California as well.

Even FC Dallas, which is sitting in one of the top three talent producing regions of the country, is finding players in Alabama, Arkansas, southwest Virginia, El Paso, etc.

Meanwhile, one of the best local players (Rennicks) is chased out of the system because he was looking at options abroad. It's clear and obvious why the Revs wouldn't want one of their better prospects looking elsewhere, but exiling him from the academy shows a lack of awareness of their place in the global pecking order and sends the wrong message to young academy players.

I'm not high on Herivaux, but maybe Angking will work out. Given the lack of depth in the academy, I'm worried that a player the caliber of Fagundez or Caldwell every couple of years is unsustainable. Just like the epic drafting run of the mid-2000s was unsustainable, eventually you're going to draw the wrong cards and end up with a bunch of guys who top out as USL level players. Then what? Other academies around the league are doing more to ensure high level talent is produced.

RevsLiverpool and dncm repped this.
  19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As I said, I'm a casual observer, so I'll take your word for it.

I thought the Revs had a pretty good rep for their academy (at least until recently). No?

20. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always had the impression that their reputation has been based on smoke and mirrors. No real substance.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There used to be someone here who had a kid in the program. I forget who that was.

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so. I think he want on to play at UHart

dncm repped this.
  23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    @MrSangster I think.

rkupp repped this.
  24. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    RSL also snapped up Jordan Allen from Rochester in 2011, who now has 50 games for them. The Revs announced their partnership with Empire United (in Rochester) in 2012, and then got nothing out of it.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes! It was interesting to get his perspective on the academy back then.