2017-18 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Dirt

Dirt Member

May 11, 2006
    KCMO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the dates for the primary transfer window 17/18?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mid-February to May.

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Really? Does sporting just always announce all their signings well before pen hits paper?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what it was this year.

Most are either out of contract or pre-contracts, which players out of contract can sign 6 months before their contract expires. At least that's my assumption.

With Gerso being announced in January I assume that's just because that was when the deal was completed.

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wasn't doubting you. Just surprised. What possible motivation could the league have for keeping the window shut for the entirety of the primary transfer window for almost all the leagues we want to get players from? Anyways. I always thought the league matched the winter window but only a portion of the summer one.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League doesn't set the window, it's set by the federation/FIFA.

7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz ... your tweets regarding expected "XI" protected don't include Rubio ... any insite on that? Lobato over Rubio seems like something I wouldn't expect.

8. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that, too; but Rubio has a green card now, and thus does not count as one of the three international players who must be protected. It seems like either he or Gerso, who also has a green card, will have to be exposed.

9. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather expose Medranda.

10. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is younger and considerably less expensive; i.e., much more likely to be taken. If Vermes is serious about getting a more clinical striker ... I know, I know, stop laughing ... then it seems worth the risk to expose Rubio.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. It’s not an either or with Rubio/Lobato, Lobato is still an international and we have to protect 3 (actually 2 cuz Salloi gets auto protected as a HGP and Int).
    2. Salary, Rubio cap hit is over $200k, Lobato around $180k and places a position where LAFC is not gonna want to spend that kind of money on a back up when they could find their own for that price.

12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looking at it from the prospective ... what does this team need? Goals ... who is going to score more goals ... Rubio. Even if he's a backup #9 ... if he can score in that role he's more valuable than a backup MF or nonscoring winger.

13. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I typed that I didn't realize Rubio was NOT an international.

That's fair ... I just don't think Medranda is going to be that "attractive" to LAFC either. No worries, I think we're safe from the expansion draft anyways.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medranda makes quite a bit less than Rubio, is younger and much more versatile, all things that would make him appealing as a green card holder. Plus, while I’m not a huge Medranda fan, PV obviously is and I can’t see PV exposing him.

Blando13 repped this.
  15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exposing rubio is a no-brainer. lobato should just be flat-out cut. keep medranda. he'll get taken for sure because he's shown he can be a two-way player in midfield, and, like's been said, has a low salary. even though he can be a huge liability with his high-risk-high-reward style, he's still worth it at his current price.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reason I protected Lobato is because they have to protect 2 of Blessing, Lobato, Musa, and Mustivar (Salloi is auto protected and apparently counts as one of our internationals). Those are the rest of our internationals with Ilie, Gerso, Rubio, and Medranda all getting green cards this year. Really there's not a lot there to protect, hence Lobato (Mustivar's salary will scare people off and Musa probably isn't worth using 1 of 5 picks on.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think there's any thought at exposing Roger to save Rubio? Or Benny? If you plan on bringing in a #10 midfielder it would be a possibility IMO.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s possible I guess with LAFC likely to grab more high priced players elsewhere, but then again if we’re looking to bring in a #9 too, why protect Rubio?

BenDover and Blando13 repped this.
  20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I edited the first post an now have my tracker up.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what does rubio bring to the table that's really worth sacrificing someone else on our team for? he's extremely replaceable. he's not fast, not a good finisher, barely plays his actual position half the time (wanders around the field instead of being a center-forward), nor does he seem to have dom's strength. plus, he dives like a bitch. he's alright at link-up play every now and then and has shown a decent ability to be in the right place at the right time (but not enough of that for me, imo) to poach some goals.

we can bring in anyone to do that. i wouldn't give up roger for that, because roger would definitely be taken (unless lafc are run by morons).

22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure we find the production in a backup #9 as we do with Rubio for the price we're paying him ... and if you gave me $850k I think i could go find a #8 that could replace Roger. I think he's overpaid for his pricetag. He's a luxury on a great team ... but right now, I'd rather spend that cap space/GAM/TAM on someone who can provide goals!

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a fair opinion, but i'm of the belief that you could put just about any forward in place of rubio and get what he got this year... and what dom did as well this year. as long as he's not pub-league quality, the center forward in our system will always have opportunities.

and don't anyone say, "well saad was the cf for some games this year and he didn't do what rubio did." you'd be right. but saad is also a pub-league quality forward.

24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I still think Rubio is solid when he's fresh. But his engine is not enough to go 90 in a game, let alone every game. If he were just our backup, I'd say we're in a decent position. He might not be a great finisher, but I still rate his holdup and linkup play as a breath of fresh air compared to any striker we've had in the Sporting era, barring Bieler maybe. Usually we see Vermes pick strikers based on who has the worst first touch on the team.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's my biggest thing on Rubio. I agree with a lot of the assessments people are making, but you have to put them in the context of a guy coming off an ACL injury with a one year recovery. He wasn't our solution this season, but I'd have no problems with spending big money on a target CF and having Rubio be the guy off the bench. There is definitely some quality there.