2017/18 Offseason Player Movement & Rumors

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made some rough guesses about our remaining cap space by cancelling out arrivals with departures:
    Onyewu ---> Corey Burke
    Pontius ----> Andre Blake's raise
    Davies----> Herbers cap hit (post GA status)
    Wijnaldum---->Ayuk
    Edu----> Accam (let's call this a wash)
    Carroll----->140K
    Alberg----->400K
    Ilsinho's pay cut----->250K (I'll assume he takes 1/2 salary cut from his 500K salary)

That leaves 790K in cap space (Again, total guess)

We should still have the cap space for another DP (550k) and a mid-level signing (150k-250k) and perhaps more if we buy down a cap hit with remaining TAM (i.e. Simpson). We'd have more but for some reason we now have a log jam of backup wingers (Ilsinho, Herbers, Ayuk, Epps).

thomas19064 repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget, they can now loan Epps and/or Ayuk to BSFC for the season to free cap space as well...

3. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for comparison between 3 recently traded players who are all 27 years old right now:
    David Accam: 1.2 million allocation
    Darlington Nagbe: 1.05 million allocation + up to 600K based on performance
    Dom Dwyer: 900K + up to 700K based on performance

Amscray repped this.
  4. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I like all those players but I feel the best about Accam. Nagbe is inconsistent and I don’t think Dwyer is really a game changer without a strong supporting cast.

thomas19064, lopezzzz and SOwannaB repped this.
  5. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop it. Not fair.

cwelch999 and Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  6. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should probably remove McInerney (36 goals, all star game, USMNT call up) and M. Farfan (all star game) from your list. Okugo was a solid MLS starter who was played out of position for the most part.

cwelch999 repped this.
  7. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, Marfan only had a good year and a half before being moved out of position into a role he was terrible at. He retired early for a reason. He may have been a decent player if kept on the wing.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  8. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think it’s safe to say all three of those players significantly underperformed expectations.

9. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Remember when we assumed players would continue on a development continuum? Like Mwanga would be challenging for minutes at Bayern by now or something.

Those were the days.

Ascalz, billf, Handsome Pete and 4 others repped this.
  10. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So between Dre extension and Accam purchase are we tapped out on the league provided TAM?

Accam and Edu were both on 750k last year, so spending wise that’s pretty much an even swap. Jay promised more spending, do we think it’s a possibility he dips in the chopper fund and buys some more discretionary TAM, or dare I say, a 3rd DP?

lopezzzz repped this.
  11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. First, the Accam deal is $600k of allocation money for 2018 and $600k for 2019.

More importantly, and something getting lost in all of this, is that the $1.2M number is the transfer fee. Accam’s 2017 salary was $820k and presumably more for 2018.

The Union are NOT using TAM to pay down his salary, opting instead to retain TAM for another signing and making Accam a DP. The Union ARE paying money out of pocket (the difference between Accam’s salary and the DP cap hit) to keep TAM for a future signing.

This means that the Union WILL sign another significant player. If they do no do so, they needlessly would be paying real cash out of pocket, something that they just wouldn’t do.

cwelch999, OwlSaver and Starpork repped this.
  12. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. There's a couple interviews from the draft of both Curtin and Stewart clearly stating they hope to bring in a #10 soon. They were adamant about it (by their standards at least).

13. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Back then when they sucked we thought they just needed more time. Now when they suck we know they just suck (hi Leo).

CITY&UNION repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another key aspect is that TAM has to be used within a certain time frame. The TAM they traded away could be left over funds from last season for example. IMO that's why they gave up TAM and a draft pick for Charlie Davies. That TAM was likely going to expire anyways, so why not use it and take a flyer on a player. The draft pick was a calculated risk based on the rise of MLS academies (HGP signings) diluting the college player pool of players that have professional potential.

Unlike general Garber bucks, TAM can't be horded and accumulated over years and years.

Here's a Q&A with the Earn: https://www.brotherlygame.com/2018/...tewart-david-accam-mark-mckenzie-matthew-real

MLS was a much, much different league in 2010-2014 then it is today. Jack Mac is still in his mid 20's and his having a difficult time getting minutes. And let's not forget, being the "best" players on bad teams, doesn't necessarily translate to them being good players in the overall picture of the league....

15. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I will say the Farfan brothers probably don't deserve to be called underachievers. Pretty sure Michael was a second rounder and Gabe was undrafted. Michael in particular raised a lot of expectations as a rookie, but they both had OK careers considering how they entered the pros.

16. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Regardless of how you classify the Farfans (although they coaching staff was super proud of itself when they picked Marfan and most of the articles talked about how some people expected him to go in the top 5) my point still stands that we have a piss-poor track record of developing players

buzzkiller23 and cwelch999 repped this.
  17. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh I totally agree, I just felt bad lumping those two in with Okugo and Jack.

18. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am by no means a Jack McInerney fan. He was always kinda a jerk in my opinion. However, I would say he HAS fulfilled what is expected of the #7 pick in the draft. I’m not sure what more you all “expected”, but the guy has scored 43 MLS goals and made an All Star team. He had a USMNT call-up. He ranks third in all time goal scoring for the Union. He is not a future hall of fame type player, the league has passed him by, but he totally fulfilled what was expected of him in 2010.

Amscray and cwelch999 repped this.
  19. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    955165850130149376 is not a valid tweet id

20. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see we picked three people in the draft. I'm not familiar with any of them.

Also, it looks like Jimmy's brother is apparently our scouting department in some weird, insider trading sort of way:

OwlSaver repped this.
  22. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    And you never will be as they will be cut, or go to the Steel for a year and then get cut

23. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or make the team and start the majority of games this season. See Elliott, Jack, 2017.

Cherry Hill SOB and aztec21bas repped this.
  24. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Have no problem with it if we somehow get guys like Elliott.

25. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That brother was my sons coach for three years. Really good person and good youth coach.