2017-18 MASL Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Oct 19, 2017.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure they have a lot of money there. It takes money to do this. (And, apparently, to freshen up the lines on the turf.)

2. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree - kudos for the Ambush bringing in Hewerton, a legit indoor soccer coach, by far the best coach since the team returned in 2013. Hewerton has gotten higher levels of play out of the roster, which was bolstered with some journeyman veterans shortly before the season. They still need to sign several more experienced players who know how to win in this league. Was trading their top scorer a salary dump?

As a sign of lack of money, the selection of team merchandise is not as broad as in the past, they have been lacking in some sizes and don't have any hats with logos (good thing I stocked up on apparel for the last several years). The lack of real paid advertising/marketing is also a bad sign. Agreed, the field looks kind of shabby. There are gaps in the carpet too.

3. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SteveCo-you are very passionate about your team. Applaud you greatly...it must be sinking in though that the Ambush are....bushed...

I don't see how they get back to the Haines giveaways that may fooled the new investors. It's not sustainable. I think they will be done after this year. I think they may have gotten hoodwinked....

SteveCo repped this.
  4. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Saturday, December 9, 2017
    Florida @ Syracuse - no report
    Tacoma @ Milwaukee - 2,575
    Monterrey @ Harrisburg - no report
    Kansas City @ Cedar Rapids - 1,375

5. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. Current attendance levels won't sustain a team long-term. Intentionally tanking last season was a big mistake. I told them to sign better players and try to salvage the season but they didn't do it. Now the losing continues and crowds are lower than last season. The team finally signed a few players but it may be too little, too late. The writing on the wall is clear. There are fans here so passionate for indoor soccer but those fans have been taken advantage of by poor teams for 4+ years. Sad.

6. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    UPDATE

Saturday, December 9, 2017
    Florida @ Syracuse - 3,335
    Monterrey @ Harrisburg - 857

powerplay13 and SteveCo repped this.
  7. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    The Heat are certainly spending the money on advertising. I have lost count of the number of billboard ads I have seen in the past few weeks.

8. KimZaccha!!

KimZaccha!! Member

Oct 27, 2016
    They also have an ad on 103.3

9. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Sunday, December 10, 2017
    Monterrey @ Harrisburg - no report
    Florida @ Baltimore - 3,429
    El Paso @ Ontario - 2,710

10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Advertising and winning only grease the wheels for salespeople to close sales calls. If no one reaches out it is all wasted.

11. KDraw

KDraw Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Sigh...I went to the Saturday night game in Harrisburg. Seeing an empty arena is so discouraging. These conditions cloud the fan experience. I think most fans want a loud and packed arena. I know at one point Delmont walked by on the arena floor and a fan in front of me (just having a fan in front of me was shocking) asked him, "where is everyone?" Delmont just weakly shook his head. Sad, really. I believe the owner has done many good things. Fielded a more competitive team. Tried some marketing initiatives. At what point does the owner question his commitment to the team and to Harrisburg? He must be feeling and thinking many of the same things the fans are. I believe the professional indoor soccer life cycle is nearing it's end...not only in Harrisburg, but nationwide.

SteveCo repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telling someone there's a game is not the same thing as selling them a ticket to that game.

SteveCo repped this.
  13. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delmont has done a great job rebuilding in Harrisburg. The team made the playoffs after several woeful seasons. Ken is right, there has to be a professional sales operation behind all the marketing. Someone (ideally several someones) in the front office should be following sales leads for group sales, as well as individual tickets. The quality of the team on the field is a factor, but history has proven that winning games by itself won't bring in paying fans. I want to think the sport is progressing but lower attendance from some teams is not encouraging.

14. KDraw

KDraw Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Here's a case in point. On Black Friday weekend I purchased a ticket package from the Harrisburg Senators (Washington Nationals AA baseball team). The deal was 6 ticket vouchers including a Senators Christmas ornament, Senators t-shirt, and a certificate enabling me (or anyone) to throw a before game day pitch on the field. (Great deal for only $59). Anyway...two days after I received the package I received a phone call from an account executive thanking me for the purchase and wanting to discuss additional season ticket offers. There's the difference between a professional organization and one just treading water.

SteveCo repped this.
  15. KDraw

KDraw Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Furthermore. On the Heat's opening night this year I asked about ticket package specials. The box office representative did not know anything about ticket packages so she brought someone in to talk to me. The second person explained the options and I bought a 5 ticket voucher package that included a ticket for opening night and 4 games in December. The cost was $65. The four vouchers I received were handwritten in marker on blank ticket stubs and initialed by the ticket attendant. Note: on 12/9/17 I tried to redeem one of the handwritten ticket vouchers...the ticket attendant looked at it and said, "What is this?" He followed up with, "Who gave you this?" He then left the booth to confirm if what I handed him was legitimate.

SteveCo repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here's the (other) deal: it's very difficult to get people with actual experience in pro sports sales to work in indoor soccer because there's no money in it. You end up with whoever you can find or kids just out of college who just want to learn a lot and move on.

SteveCo repped this.
  17. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    UPDATE

Sunday, December 10, 2017
    Monterrey @ Harrisburg - 1,093

18. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure why the MASL did not have the talent loaded Flash play in Baltimore and have the tired Tropics, coming from Syracuse the night before, play in Harrisburg yesterday.
    Both games may have ended up with more competitive results. Plus I would of like to have seen how the Flash would of faired against the Blast.

SteveCo repped this.
  19. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg
    I think they're saving that for the finals.

powerplay13 repped this.
  20. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017
    Sonora @ Rio Grande Valley - 1,046

21. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007