2016 US Nats - Rev Content

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Jan 1, 2016.

1. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 VTSoccerFan, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    I think you raise some good points.

However, I think Benny has made himself the public face to this argument. Unfortunately, he probably carries both some credentials and some baggage. From my point of view, I am interested in seeing guys like Dax, Lichaj, Nguyen, etc get the same treatment as guys like Williams, Chandler, Ventura, Mix, etc. I am trying to separate out Benny's personal argument and apply it to others who do seem deserving.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the larger issue is not whether Feilhaber or any other player should or should not be in the team. Those arguments have been going on for as long as there have been National Teams. To me, the issue is that Kilinmann's methodology is so haphazard that no one knows quite what to expect.

When Bruce Arena was in charge that was not the case. I'm not a big fan of his, and I think it was a mistake to keep him on after his first WC cycle, but at least he had a plan, and people knew what they were dealing with. Klinsmann hs yet to articulate his "vision" and can't seem to explain tactics or any decisions for that matter. Arena was an arrogant prick of the first magnitude, and he tried to make us feel privileged that we were allowed to breathe the same air as him, but at least he would tell you why he put this guy in, or whatever his reasons were. Klinsmann just tells you that you are too stupid to understand him anyway, so it is a colossal waste of his valuable time for him to even attempt to explain it. According to him, even the rich guys who bankroll the league "don't have correct information." Maybe it's me, but I would think Paulson and Hanauer would have the connections where they'd be able to get the story before commenting, unlike the rest of us internet yahoos...

BERich and a517dogg repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on performance Benny should be playing. If he's not, he needs to be an adult about it which he learned to do at SKC when Vermes benched him.

But if you aren't playing your best players, can you not see the problem?

4. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann has explained his plan, as technical director of US Soccer, to improve the American soccer talent, go to Germany!!

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ach! But vee don't vant ziss to be da neffah-ending storwry, ja?

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he LOVES MLS now.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He's not among our best, regardless of what he's done in MLS (which is a record of up and down, if you ask me). He's not better than Bradley, Diskerud or Jones at the international level.

He's a very talented tease of a player. When he was younger I was dying to see him break into the USNT and bring some creativity. Many years later, it seems obvious to me that he's not going to provide more than sporadic glimpses of that special ability.

In addition, Benny hasn't shown himself to be the mature, self-motivated, 2-way player that a NT should be. Yes, Vermes got him to play some defense, but is that the kind of history that's going get him notice at the NT level - someone who's going to need a kick in the butt? I don't think JK wants that kind of babysitting. I think he wants guys with the maturity, passion and motivation to run through walls for their chance - that's why he loves Jones so much.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones and Nguyen starting for the US.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was a thread about Revs with the National Team

10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Lee played the whole game.....finally. A mixed bag really. Felt he could have really gone at goal and been more assertive in the final third (had a great cross Zardes should have buried). Also, couple of times he went to receive ball off his chest and was immediately under pressure- not sure if no communication from teammates, or speed of play was catching up with him.

But he also made plenty of good plays and did link with teammates. It is a different role than what he plays for the Revs so it can be understood if it is not exactly the same "Lee" we see with the Revs.

Will be interested to see if he stays in JK's plans after this camp. Hard to read for me right now.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee seemed out of place out wide in a 4-4-2, and after taking the defender on a few times and losing possession, it seemed like he got conservative and stopped. In my mind, I keep picturing Lee as the 2014 machine who kept the ball until he was fouled or beat the man, but maybe he's changed?

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Thought he played well in general. Some of his passes seemed a little naive at that level (easily anticipated), but his cross to Zardes is as good as an assist as you could hope for.

Showed a lot of confidence in holding the ball and worked well with Bradley IMO. As the 2nd half went on, I think it was difficult adjusting to all the personnel changes.

dncm repped this.
  13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Actually Lee getting some plaudits about his fitness coming into camp. This can only benefit the Revs - he will want to show well to continue to get called in (but may miss some games with Revs because of it).

Crossposting from HoustonHoya - so please make sure to rep him:

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    My thought is that it also sheds some light on Nguyen's slow start to last season.

It sure looks like a whole lot of complacency crept in after their surprising run to the '14 final.

dncm repped this.
  16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Quoting Houston Hoya again from US Nats N&A - thanks!

Klinsmann continues to praise MVLee:

His talent to combine, his talent to do quick moves and open things up, if it’s with a final pass, if it’s with a shot himself,” said Klinsmann in Friday’s post-game press conference, “that’s what he does in New England. He’s dangerous.

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/02/lee-nguyen-makes-his-mark-with-strong-january-camp-showing

18. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm a little behind and just noticed this....did anyone become a member or is it just a complete $$ grab only? Too bad you can't register previous CAPS just to have on record, but not count towards the rewards. They should have an unofficial CAP count available for documentation.

Anybody know that if I buy future tix via a Supporters Club it will count towards the CAP count or do all purchases need to happen via USSF?

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...hletes-unveil-us-soccer-federations-new-crest

19. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I really hope this loss gets Klinsmann fired.

Second... there has never been a day when Lee was not better than Mixx and yet, JK started Mix then Nagbe in the second half while leaving Lee to rot on the bench. Has Lee slipped below both on JKs secret depth chart or does it mean Lee starts Tuesday or it was all just another case of JK jerking him around?

Third - Bradley has REALLY slipped. Both for the Nats and in MLS. He is just an average player now but JK still sees him as something special. Bradley creates nothing as an AM. I would take Scott Caldwell over Bradley on the NATS at this point. Will JK ever see that? NO he doesnt have the guts to sit Bradley down...ever

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Lee plays it will probably be in the role of stopper or sweeper. How many players did JK have out of their normal position?

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole team less Howard (or seemed that way at least).

Did anyone tell JK this game was a qualifier and not a friendly? I am not a Klinsi hater but this match was a good lesson in what not to do.

24. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I can see him playing Lee as left back..... That would really put him out of his comfort zone.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't buy that Nguyen is, and always has been, better than Mix, but this was a weak performance from Mix (he's had a record of blowing hot and cold - this was definitely cold).

I also thought that Nagbe played quite well - probably the best of anyone for the US.

I'm ready to acknowledge that we need a change. Klinsman is just not getting good performances from his players - whether it is his fault or theirs, or both. And, the style of play is just getting more and more dismal - just the opposite of what Klinsman's stated objective was when he took the reins. Regardless of the result, watching the USNT try to grind out results is a pretty ugly affair. And, if it looks ugly to viewers, it probably isn't much fun for the players.

We should have enough to pull through this round, and probably even the Hex, but it's hard to see us as anything more than lowest ranked qualifiers for the finals. This is a very dysfunctional team.