2016 UCLA

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Persin, May 8, 2016.

1. damageplan

damageplan New Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    If you look at the aerial satellite of Stub Hub it is more on the order of 76 yards wide. You can calculate by the 10 yard hash mark and the distance to the penalty area. It looks like it is about 6 yards. Same distance as the goal box. McAlister is 70 yards. 13 yards to the penalty area. So I am not sure about sub standard? Fifa rules are 50 by 100 minimum and 80 by 120 max. By the way Drake Stadium is 72 max if you look at the aerials. There was 694 at Stanford game. That is bout the max. Maybe that is what doesn't meet NCAA. The field size is fine.

2. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    What is 694?

3. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Number of fans at that game, which is well over the capacity I believe. USC's attendance is usually the lowest in the Pac-12 at around 200-300 per game. Pitch might be nice, but an awful venue

4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That was my original point. The surface is excellent. Fast and fair. From the fan standpoint it's nice being so close to the action but no lights mean you bake in the afternoon sun on uncomfortable portable bleachers. Speculation is they will get some league and playoff games in the new LAFC Facility when it's done

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the NCAA field size requirement:

The Division I Women’s Soccer Committee mandates games be played on fields that are a minimum of 70 yards x 110 yards; however, the preference is for fields to be 75 yards x 120 yards. The committee prefers grass fields for preliminary-round games but will not preclude artificial turf (if approved by FIFA). Grass fields will be required for the Women’s College Cup.
    In 2007, when USC won the championship, McAlister did not meet the minimum size requirement. I see that their first round game will be at McAlister, so I guess that answers my question with a "yes." They have expanded the field size so it meets the NCAA's minimum requirement.

6. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Getting back to UCLA matters, the #4 seeded Bruins' hosted first round match with Seattle Friday at 7 PM (PST) will be streamed, unless they have more "technical difficulties," like when they robbed many soccer fans of seeing the thrilling overtime loss to Stanford. Let's hope the UCLA tech staff can get it together for a change. That all their matches aren't viewable during the season is classic Bruin Stupidity.

7. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    UCLA 3 - 0 Seattle

Bruins seem to thrive in a 4-3-3, beating a very good Seattle team. Why they waited until the final week of conference play to make that change is a mystery. They're like a different team now.

8. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
  9. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    The attendance at Morgantown for UCLA's 2-0 win over Nebraska was 82. Thirty minutes later in the following Ohio State-West Virginia match in the doubleheader, there was a standing 2471. Talk about fan support and home field advantage.

Sunday's third round match finds the Bruins facing the No. 1 seeded and top ranked Mountaineers. UCLA might have the youngest team still in the tournament, now starting six freshmen including a redshirt. We'll see if they're up to the task.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bummer of a finish in Morgantown. Great equalizer only to be beat in a very rocky UCLA PKs

11. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    UCLA loses Munerlyn, Proctor, Alvarado, Kaskie, Jenkins, Miranda and Alarab -- all outstanding Bruins.

But next year's roster will add Pugh, Sanchez, Anika's younger sister Karina, Canales and several others.

They should do okay.

12. Bryan Bailey

Bryan Bailey Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Do you really believe that Mallory Pugh will ever play a college soccer game? What is the point? She can go right to NWSL and get the $100,000 US WNT allocation salary, plus endorsements, plus negotiate a free UCLA education to be used whenever she pleases into her contract. What is theire to gain for her by playing college soccer besides risking unnecessary injury and potentially leaving lots of money on the table?

13. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Intriguing question! Maybe this calls for a lengthy board discussion. Oh, but wait! This thread worked the topic to death, before Pugh's father and Mallory herself said, yes, she is enrolling this winter quarter and will play next fall.

14. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here's Mallory Pugh at UCLA on the first day of class for the winter quarter, as expected; shown here with fellow freshman Marley Canales.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    In 2007, fields built before 1995 were grandfathered. The only requirement was that the field be longer than it is wide.