2016 UCLA

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Persin, May 8, 2016.

1. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    How could it be possible for BYU's Ashley Hatch to score three goals on Penn State?

2. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    UCLA were doing a lot of long balls to break the press coverage by Penn State. At half time Amanda Cromwell said she was disappointed about all the long balls and the fact they were not getting Jessie Fleming involved in the build up. Fleming was constantly coming back to the back line to provide an outlet pass but they were for the most part ignoring her and going over the top direct to Darian Jenkins. In the second half that started to change, you saw UCLA start to keep the ball on the turf more and UCLA got their first shot on goal on the 81st minute.

The best build up by UCLA was when Fleming took the ball at the 88th minute and attacked the middle of the field. As soon as a Penn State player tried to tackle her, she would pass to another UCLA player, then she would make a run get the ball back and dribble past Penn State players and this happened 3 times in that play. They were dragging Penn State players to them and then giving the ball back to Fleming to continue forward. Loved that build up.

Hopefully Fleming style starts to be the way UCLA plays from now on.

3. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    After the BYU scrimmage with a tied-score, maybe the Bruins overestimated themselves as their scoring equals, which they aren't.

4. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    The Nov. 4 conference finale at USC has been moved from McAlister Field on Hoover Street to the StubHub Center in Carson, 7 PM.

Is this huge or what?

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ....its not the colliseum that they played in 2 years ago, but a heck of a lot better than the dump that Drake is

6. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Oh, I bet you love those classy and fragrant USC McAlister Field Port-a-Potties. Nothing can beat Trojan Stench.

7. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    At least next year both UCLA and USC will have new on-campus soccer stadiums to call their home field. Oh wait...

8. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Okay, enough of the harsh words and bitterness!

I have a question: why would the Trojans move this big Bruin game to essentially a neutral site, when they already had a real home-field advantage, playing and practicing on a McAlister pitch with such limited dimensions.

Anyway, this should be a great contest. My money is on USC.

9. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    USC would much rather have played this game in the Colliseum, but with the Trojan Football Team sharing with the Rams this year it would seem impossible. 2 years ago they set an NCAA all time attendance record and I am sure they will look to add to this at Stub Hub. I think its more about the community and reaching out to the local clubs.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSU has 3 defenders from last year's NC team taking the year off due to the U-20 tourney.
    PSU also has one of their star MF's out this year due to the U-20 tourney.
    It's early in the season yet and there are lots of new players trying to figure things out.
    Also, Hatch is a prolific goal scorer. I remember reading about her last year when she suffered a significant knee injury.
    http://universe.byu.edu/2015/10/23/byu-womens-soccer-team-steps-up-in-lieu-of-injured-teammate/

11. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    If not for Jessie Fleming, Amanda Cromwell would likely be looking at a season surpassing last year's worst ever in Bruin history.

12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, based on your post I knew something went wrong, but I had to dig to find it. :)
    No. 9 UCLA Falls to No. 8 UNC, 2-1 (Sept. 09, '16) - a respectable loss.

13. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3:0 over Pepperdine. Jenkins 50', Matulich 52', Miranda 54'

14. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Mallory Pugh and Jessie Fleming: Future Bruin teammates

15. bluesky222

bluesky222 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That is going to be fun for the rest of us to watch..... No matter what team you root for.

16. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    UCLA 3 - 2 Washington (OT)

Bruins score twice in first 7 minutes, then went on cruise-control with the inevitable disastrous results. But, once again, Jessie has to come to the rescue for the win.

If they lose focus like they did tonight, UCLA will lose to WSU Sunday.

And how many times have we seen Julia Hernandez blow headers inside the box or hear someone on the bench yell, "Work, Julia!"

17. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
  18. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I love her demeanor and composure after the gatorade bath. Shows a lot of maturity and looks to be a well-grounded young woman.

$C chased the almighty $$$ by surrendering their home-field advantage by playing at a neutral site. With that wide pitch, I knew it was not to their advantage. UCLA win cost $C a 1-seed. Good luck at the Tournament.

19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Actually what cost USC the #1 seed was the debaucle in Utah last week when an AR called the game winning goal Offside. A call that was so bad that the PAC12 director of officiating apologized.
    Chasing "the almighty dollar?" The cost to get the Stub Hub Center, man it with staff, and clean it after most likely cost USC money, not home field advantage. Its called community outreach. Of the 8500 attending, 95% were female youth players and their families. Its about growing the game.

20. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It sounds like a great venue. Certainly it can help to increase the fan base of soccer. IMO USC had some great Ws but also some weaker performances. Not sure about #1 seed.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at the quality of USC's good results, they are really great. My system for valuing good results against Top 60 teams has USC ranked #1 in that area. They've essentially proved by those results that they are one of the most likely teams to be able to win a national championship. The didn't get a #1, rather a #2 seed -- but they are in the same quarter of the bracket with Florida, who got the last #1 seed. So, if both get to the Elite Eight, they'll play each other. It will be at Florida, but it might have been there anyway even if the seeding were reversed due to USC's substandard field. (Although USC may be contemplating using StubHub for hosting Tournament games. Maybe that's why they chose to play UCLA there -- to qualify it with the NCAA as a home field.)

22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The pitch at McAlister is actually exceptional. The ability to get more than 500 fans not so much. The USC staff has commited to having the UCLA game at the larger venue for outreach. Two years ago at the coliseum they drew more than 10000 coliseum was not avail due to Trojan and Rams football

23. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    The StubHub pitch dimensions are 120 x 75 yards. What are McAlister's?

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pitch may be excellent, but as I recall the dimensions do not meet minimum NCAA standards. That's why they traveled so much the year they won the NCAA Championship. Have they increased the field size?

25. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Don't know about not meeting requirements, but why would their application to host be accepted for the early rounds but not later. I can tell you they max out both length and width to the footprint of the plot