2016 Season Ticket Renewals

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Rumored at around 60%, and that is with the poor suckers who missed the opt out day on the 3-yr lock plan.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not real hot although I don't have the league average now. I do know that a typical goal and good figure is 80% so clearly below that. And when you figure there's probably another 5 to 10% that might've been hooked into the three-year plan who might not have renewed it's about what I expected.

My curiosity is in part to see how the business side is going but also was an outlier as I didn't renew or are there more people out there who feel like me - season-ticket holders from day one in 2006 just had enough

3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, league average is like 80%.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone got a final rumored figure on the retention rate? I'd imagine by now if you didn't renew you probably aren't going to unless you love Jay-Z

5. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know several people who used to sell me or give me their season tickets when they couldn't go to the game, and they didn't renew. Some simply reduced the number of tickets they buy.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm trying to get a read as to whether this board is indicative of the overall trend - my guess is that we've had more drop out here in our small little subset than the average for the entire season ticket base.

But the rate that the Dynamo official Twitter account is tweeting out all of the pictures of STH boxes makes it seems like sales are great and everybody super excited

7. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's see. There are about 6 people who post at BigSoccer ALL THE TIME, but there are probably 15 to 20 people who post every once in a while.

If in 2016 there were 10K to 13K season ticket holders... then this board is... what?... about 0.1% of the season ticket holder base... So your poll wouldn't be using a relevant sample size, buddy.

Haven't we all learned that polls are screwed up?

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you account for multiple tickets purchased it's a higher percentage and the more relevant question is does the 20 represent an indicative sample of that overall STH base. Probably not, but it likely skews more loyal and more likely to renew than not.

9. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You have to figure, the kind of people who take the time to post here will generally be the more loyal Dynamo ticket holder. I'd tend to think that the percentage of casual ticket holders jumping ship would be greater. No telling on the corporate seats, though.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Solutions to this seem easy enough. (a) How many people show up opening day. (b) How many people show up through 5 games, which usually includes some games where the novelty of the new season wears off, and you fall back down towards the ST baseline, even if we're good. (c) Is there a set point they usually announce ST #s, and how does it compare.

They went with a hard sell on the new adds and have been selling fairly hard this offseason so my bet is started significantly down. Might have sold a limited set of people with the Xmas burst, and I think the team is improved, but for ticket buying including ST I wouldn't blame people for approaching this in a lagging manner, ie, I want to see better results first. That alone would dent ST because that means you're by definition not buying a full season.

I can approach this with some optimism because I watch them mostly on tv. So I think what I think about what I have seen this spring, and hold out hope for what I am not paying for (much) anyway. If you're effectively betting on the team you might want a surer bet.

The way out of that loop is sign expensive name brand players where at least marketing wise the appearance is that you are trying much harder. But you look at Gerrard and at least as a sporting matter that is not necessarily the guarantee some would suggest.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All total guesswork, but if a company didn't quit during the oil price drop in 2015, they probably have a reasonably good "stickiness" to buying season tickets every year. Casual fans depends on more factors - for some this is their fun entertainment as a family or whatever. I do think that STH that have a competing time or investment alternative tend to drop in bad years on the field.

One of the challenges the Dynamo have is that they hit a poor performance and management cycle at the same time the new stadium smell and enthusiasm is gone. I can legitimately say that there's nothing particularly remarkable about the stadium that draws me to coming back in terms of missing it - service sucks, food is average and overpriced, poor airflow in lower level (the "best" seats aren't the best seats). I'd pick Minute Maid Park as a better place to go every time (even though it is more expensive)

12. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Definitely skewed views here. Mostly orange kool aid drinkers, and one crazy guy posting here.

*rey* repped this.
  13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth: I know more former STH, than current STH

TX Bill repped this.
  16. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    NDS10, 7seven7, Heft and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost every problem can be solved with 2 of 3 things: time, money, resources/people. Crappy field and concessions are solvable. Airflow will never happen - design flaw too expensive or not feasible to fix, much easier to just say no day games even though airflow problem is worse on warm nights.

Since money is probably out it's time and resources on the other two: likely 2020 before concessions service improves

*rey* repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I can live with the heat. Not much can be done on hot windless days, and it's just part of having summer soccer.

The field is absolutely crap half of the time, but it seems to drain well, so perhaps the methods of procedure needs to be revised on upkeep.

I have only had trouble buying a beer during the USOC.

Not many bad seats in the house, and some of the cheapest tickets are the best for viewing the actual game.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #269 juvechelsea, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    This would be the informed end of the hardcore, whether the patient kool aiders or the critics or in between. I don't think we would be more or less likely to go or stay than your average fan. I think we'd be more likely to discuss it at some length is all.

If skewed at all it might be slightly skewed towards loyal on here because SG are over-represented and the sort of person willing to discuss the team as much as we do is a little soccer crazy, and probably willing to indulge any commercial Houston soccer product for a while, even if it's not competitive for a season or two.

Not me, all of us, are soccer crazy.

Conversely I think the critic is under-represented here. Critics like me tend to get run off by the loyalty tilt. I think you see more critical people like me in social media and some of the broader fanbase but there are only a few semi-critics or critics on here. Probably in part because for years this has been so easy to support, and the results decent enough, where it's like why ya buggin. Or, "you're a troll." Well, as it nose dives down to here you see why a little critique much less my sort of perfectionism is useful.

Or if they are snobs like TXBill all that criticism over time crystalizes into why am I supporting this second rate rubbish.

I would say that by the time fairly kool aid people on here can articulate a reason not to renew, that's trouble. That means questioning of ST has long swung from the snob/critic end and now people who self define as loyal not only are making a decision but can rationalize why just like a critic. In effect, have become critics.

I felt like the Xmas buying spree was they saw the early renewal numbers and knew what the results had been lately and maybe even had the riot act read to them by ownership. Congratulations, it's 2 years late. They then went on a buying spree but if you're paying attention it was still on a budget, and with the loan terms for some and the age of the defense, this was not built to last. Either the GM didn't think it through, which I cannot imagine, or it was, cobble together something this offseason that can make the playoffs or it's his job. If he doesn't keep his job he doesn't care if this team is together 2018 or 19. And that would have to be some mix of the owner wanting more results and ST sales being significantly down if they care about money instead.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The field, it is Houston. But that thing already seems to drain exceptionally well. So you do kind of wonder who manages it and how much they know and how much they're paid. We don't have that many other events to explain it. TSU is a half dozen games in the summer and fall. That doesn't explain how it looks in spring and summer sometimes.

The heat costs them a few tickets a year from me. I used to get 4 or 5 a season for Rob. I don't like heat but there was a seabreeze once the sun set. I could choose not to attend day games. It now doesn't get cool enough in that place for me until 9 or so. So in a good year it's a couple in the cooler months. This looks like a hot summer already. See me in fall if at all. And that's if the team is decent. Haven't bought a ticket since 2015 season. I get airflow is going to be what it is, and that is a mistake. But there has to be stuff like mysters or fans or something they can do.

Staffing, I go back to day 1, will call out the wazoo, they have perennially been short staffed relative to what they need. It's kind of like they base it on sold tickets despite now having years of walk up sales data that has to tell them the ultimate crowd size will be more. And to me I'd be erring on the side of too many because let's be real, these are probably minimum wage gigs. We pinch too many pennies and it makes me half wonder what the financial state is.

21. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did have a suggestion about improving air flow, but it got turned down by the FO.

I had suggested that in exchange for their subsidized seats, supporters ticket holders should be required to stand behind us expensive seat holders with fans and misters in 15 minute shifts.

Can't understand why they didn't like it

El Naranja, NDS10 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You might not want to know what is in the mister, though.

El Naranja and Hydro repped this.
  23. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The author explained that from a sport purist standpoint, BBVACS has very good views. Not many frills, but made for sports viewing very well. I'm not sure what level of expertise the author has, but it's just an opinion that has been prevalent in these types of stories.

I'd prefer to watch a match at BBVACS than a large NFL stadium, or baseball field. It's made for the game.

25. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and many of those haven't renewed which doesn't bode well for the non diehard type fans renewing again.