News: 2016 season general AUFC news thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 8, 2015.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen him a few times and remember him playing the USMNT in Gold Cup play. If I recall correctly, he is a creative attacker who could be deployed on the wing or in the hole as a secondary striker. Do you guys have a better description of Marco, @LaMascara or @...In my defense ? Thanks

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Attacking midfielder that can play on any wing if necessary. has great shot power and an eye for golazos. i can see him having a great season in mls since the style is more vertical. his release clause is 4 million and chivas is doing everything they can to retain him. My team Pachuca is also after him.

Tactical Hipster and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Wolff was just mentioned as someone that we are interested in on Fox Sports. Clint Mathis was also mentioned.

USvsIRELAND and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  7. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For HC or just regular coach?

8. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Head Coach.

9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...ng-on-player-salaries-with-multi?ICID=HP_BN_1

From the article:

"MLS teams will receive $800,000 in what is being called Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) during each of the next two seasons, funds which can be used to sign and retain players on the higher end of the MLS pay scale, but who are not Designated Players. The influsion of $1.6 million per team over the course of the next two seasons comes along with an additional $2 million being invested in Homegrown Player salaries over the next two years."

Wonder if this is paving the way for eliminating the expansion draft next year?

10. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but this is huge on so many levels. Here's a quote from mlssoccer.com

"Here’s how the new injection of TAM funds will work:

• TAM can be used to sign new players or re-sign current players that earn between $457,500 and $1 million;
    • TAM can be used to buy down a player contract to free up a Designated Player slot. If that happens, the club must simultaneously sign a new Designated Player at an investment equal or greater to than the player he is replacing;
    • Teams are not permitted to combine TAM and general allocation money on a player. Either TAM or general allocation money may be used on a player in a single season, not both;
    • TAM money can be traded by clubs;
    • The minimum budget charge for a player signing that uses TAM funds is $150,000; Any part of the $800,000 in TAM funds that go unused in 2016 will carry over to 2017;
    • Teams are allowed to commit, but not use or disburse, 2017 TAM funds toward a 2016 player contract;
    • Any of the $1.6 million in TAM funds per team that go unused by the end of the 2017 summer transfer window will revert back to the league.
    In addition to TAM, teams will also have an incremental $125,000 per season to sign Homegrown players over each of the next two years. These funds can be spread across multiple Homegrown players."

11. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think that is really only good news for AUFC. More money allowed means we can attract more talent in the end.

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been following MLS and really have no idea how the whole mess of contract stuff works. So if I am way off on my interpretation, feel free to enlighten me. But if each team gets 800k of allocation money in each of the next two years, what if they are used for a guy that's signed for more than two seasons? Does the club just fall out of compliance in the third year, or what?

14. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Heard you guys are getting a new GM. It looks like you are getting Paul M. that was just released from Orlando.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  15. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^thanks for the info. Do you have a link?

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes sense, Paul Mcdonough did a decent job for first year Orlando last year and then unexpectedly was demoted. He abruptly quit last week, so being lured to ATL makes sense. He can do the job of building a team, he was available. I can see it. I haven't read the rumor any where though.

17. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does make a lot of sense. It seems that many OCSC fans are sad to see him leave as well. Seems like he's be a really good addition.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    It's good they are getting the ball rolling.

It's time to start building a squad.

19. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not 100% sure, but it should be like any major league with regards to negotiating contracts in the US. I would think that they can sign that player for 3 years, but then just have to make sure that other money opens up to keep him on board. Does that make sense? Like hypothetically you could sign 20 players to 5 year deals even though you only have those 2 years of allocation money. After the 2nd year, you would need to trade, release, whatever it takes to get under the salary cap, otherwise you'd face penalties from the league. Just like if the Lakers or Cowboys or any other league did that. At least that is what I THINK, not 100% sure.

20. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/201...ited-chelsea-cesc-fabregas-premier-league-mls

Getting Cesc would be a great first signing. Someone like him who can control the game from the midfield is really valuable. He may not getting the eye-catching stats of goals, but he would be impactful to our defense and offense. Would be great. Imagine him AND marco fabian.

That'd be great. Orlando did a good job of building up a squad last year. Solid mixture of MLS vets like Collin, Hall, etc and young foreigners/Americans.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  23. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a great hire for us.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  24. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Expect more issues with this to play out. Hearing Benfica guy is making all the changes and current regime is unhappy. OCSC could be totally different next season. More Drama to come.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  25. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now the Benfica guy leaves. Yikes

I'm glad Atlanta got McDonough when we did.