2016 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by BigData, Oct 7, 2015.

1. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    #1 BigData, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    I have made the command decision that we should have a separate 2016 roster thread. Orlando Rays may disagree with me and take it down. :D

I plan to update this post or add another post with my guesses on who will stay or go. We still have a couple of weeks to go in the season, but things will start to happen fast and furious as soon as the season is over. Preseason starts in only four months!

2015 Ending Roster
    Ashe D $180,000
    Avila M $72,000
    Bedell F $60,000
    Boden D $75,000
    Carrasco M $80,750
    Cascio M $78,529
    Ceren M $66,000
    Collin D $500,000
    Conor D $80,000
    Edwards GK $50,000
    Ford GK $60,000
    Hall GK $215,000
    Heath M $60,000
    Higuita M $60,000
    Hines D $108,576
    Kaka M $6,660,000
    Lameira M $50,000 (Estrela)
    Larin F $125,000
    Mateos D $300,000
    Molino M $100,000
    Mwanga F $75,000
    Neal M $112,500
    Ramos D $50,000
    Redding D $85,000
    Ribeiro M $60,000
    Rivas M $60,000
    Rivera F $50,000
    Rochez F $200,000
    Shea M-D $475,000
    Turner D $60,000
    Winter M $180,000

I went with salary vs total compensation. I'm not really sure which counts towards the cap, nor have I calculated how close we are to the cap, but I suspect it is close.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I post about CR7 and the Swede here or does it have to be confirmed signings? :)

3. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I believe this thread can involve all manner of roster discussion, including reasonably possible signings. I'll leave that to your interpretation. ;)

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You grossly overestimate how much I care about having a unified, eternal roster thread. o_O

Guy Everett repped this.
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Lewis Neal be here next year?

6. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say yes - assuming Adrian Heath is. Lewis is one of his favorites, as evidence by him getting the start over Winter during these critical playoff push games at the end of the season.

7. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    LOL

8. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I'm not so sure, if only because I could easily see him retiring. Clearly the gaffer sees coaching potential there. I'm somewhat surprised Neal didn't get one of the coaching gigs handed out recently. Whenever it happens I expect Neal to retire a Lion and likely move into the organization somewhere.

And if he is on the roster, I really hope sanity prevails by next season. If Winter sticks around and Molino returns better than ever, there should not be room to put Neal regularly into the starting XI. Personally, I think even Avila brings more to the table than Neal at this point in their respective careers.

On a side note, I'm bummed I no longer have the inside connection with the club I had a couple of years ago.

9. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due to their lack of playing time down the stretch, I'm guessing Avila and Roberio are on their way out.

Also, do your contact move on to a different gig?

10. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Let's just say it was a mutual parting of the ways. I used to get a few very interesting tidbits from time to time, but probably nothing I should share on here.

For different reasons I could see both Avila and Ribeiro coming back.

Ribeiro is still a young guy, and I actually think he shows some promise in Kaka's spot. In the case of both players, though, you have to consider the depth of the roster and their role. The roster size sits at 28 players. We currently have something close to that number of players. What I expect to see happen next year is some of those players sent down to the USL team. We will add some draft picks, but most of those would be candidates for USL duty also.

I could easily see the team adding two or three veterans and still have room somewhere on the 28 man roster for Avila and Ribeiro, probably more Ribeiro because of his relative youth. You need guys that can come in a play a role. What you hope is that your top 16 or 18 are quality players without much dropoff from the Starting XI and you don't have to reach much deeper than that. But if Ribeiro is the 21st or 22nd guy on your roster, then you are doing ok.

11. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    All kinds of ways to attack this. The tight salary cap presents all sorts of issues that other US sports don't have.

Overall Impressions: With two games to go the team is playing it's best soccer of the season. Overall the team is just barely outside the playoff run, having consolidated a bunch of players that had never played together and never played in the MLS. All this, with the team suffering perhaps the most games lost due to injury and international play in the entire league. We should be able to assume that with a more "normal" course of injuries the team is easily a playoff team. Factor in that this is amongst the youngest teams in the league, if not the youngest, and an overall theme of "stay the course" seems to emerge. That said, there are always plenty of opportunities to improve the roster, and the summer transfer window saw a few changes already.

The first group of players to look at, I think, are those that are almost locks to stay. By position, it goes something like this:

GK - Hall, Edwards.

This is a slam dunk. I would almost put the inexpensive Josh Ford in this group, but the team could find another keeper in the draft, or find a cheap veteran to act as #2 and send Edwards for USL duty to get more playing time. Obviously the team loves both keepers, and Edwards being cheap means there are no decisions to make.

DEFENSE

Ramos, Collin, Mateos, Shea, Boden, *Donovan

More interesting. I believe that the team is looking for one more year out of Collin even though he is very expensive. Paying Mateos the high salary they are, it is almost a no brainer he is a keeper. The downside is that a lot of salary it two players, but Mateos has played very well after a rough start the first couple of games and he and Collin already seem on the same page. Ramos is young, cheap and effective. It will be necessary to ensure there is at least one other player on the roster that can play RB given his uneven nature and the fact that Turner isn't there yet and Avila proved that wasn't such a good idea either. That guy could be Shea, or it could be Ashe. I put Shea here because I don't think Boden is a guy that should start 30 games at LB, and I believe the team will ensure there are plenty of options up top next year. Don't despair Boden fans, I expect he will stick around. He gives the team a legit replacement if Shea is out, and also lets Shea move to RB or up top if needed.

CDM - Ceren, Higuita, Carrasco

In Heath's system, it is critical to have two of these guys with a specific skill set. I still have no idea why Okugo did not work out, but Carrasco has surprisingly proven he can be the third wheel here very effectively. This is important because by the nature of the position and by the way they play, Ceren and Higuita will miss games here and there even when not on national team duty.

To Be Continued...

12. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Do you think Heath scouts in central america again? Especially for the B team i would assume he would

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll find a lot of Americans in the B team. Sprinkled with academy kids. Although several people have noticed that LA2 seemed to step a little away from the academy kids this year and they are in the final this year.

14. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I don't know that Heath will be doing too much of the scouting anymore. The coaching demands at the MLS level are much higher. But it seems from comments made throughout the year that the team intends to try and continue to sign young South American talent. It fits the culture in Orlando, and they consider those to be value signings.

15. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Well tbf, Galaxy's use of their academy kids isn't the best. While they are succesful, I'd prefer Orlando follow a more barcelona route, and make their teams around their academy players

South America has much talent that can be used, as long as it's not 'dirty talent' (Gonzalo Jara...) and as I'm in LA, i don't necessarily know the culture in Orlando! But the Hispanic talent has been essential to Orlando having a chance for playoffs (hopefully with luck they make it!)

16. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Really I should have said Central and South America. Ceren and Rivas come to mind immediately. They have some good players in some of those countries but the leagues don't pay that well. The MLS has been largely ignoring those countries, and I hope they continue to do so. Brazil, Mexico and to a lesser extent Columbia are the primary league competitive with the MLS on salary. Easier to win those battles than the battles for European players.

17. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Rivas has been extraordinary, and orlando should definitely scout carribean countries also (Molino). 2016 Roster will be interesting, and i wonder of the boys who didn't get much game time this season go to OCB or stay on the bench.
    another topic i find interesting, how many changes are there for 2016? i definitley see some movement, like Mwanga and Rivera going down to OCB, Avila going back to santos (?), but what else? the current roster is at 30, 31 with a loanee correct? take away those 3, yoour left with 28, MLS roster max...

18. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    There will certainly be some changes, and the USL team will absorb a few youngsters and open a couple of spots. Redding has already been announced as going to OCB.

Blue_nation724 repped this.
  19. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Hoping with Orlando all but eliminated, we see fresh faces vs philly. Would really wanna see where everyone is at

20. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I may agree with that under different circumstances but I think we've played everyone in our roster this year. It's not like the young guys didn't get a shot. I think the staff has a pretty good idea of who is worth keeping around at this point. I'd rather we try to put up 6 on the Union and put up a fight.

21. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    New England play NYCFC. THe chances of them losing are slim.
    ---Ford---
    Turner--Redding--Donovan--Ashe
    ---Estrela--Heath---
    Winter--Kaka--Rivas
    ---Larin---

That back line is young, but has minutes. They're not gonna be ran over. Estrela has gotten NO game time, so he should play. Heath, well..what's gonna happen to him??

22. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If Estrela has gotten no time even with the amount of injuries and suspensions we've had then why give him minutes now? Minutes are earned, not given and I'd say he hasn't earned them. We should reward the guys that deserve to play and go down fighting for the fans.

I know our chances are slim to none but playing the kids feels like giving up to me and I have no patience for that, personally.

23. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I see no need to give the youngsters time. We've learned what we needed to already.

We are Orlando. We play to win. It's who we are.

24. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Continuing my roster thoughts after life intruded for a few days.

Forward - Larin, Rochez

I went here next because it is pretty simple. Larin and Rochez stay, Larin probably starts. Mwanga is gone, Ribeiro either sticks as cheap depth or he could be gone also kind of ability. The biggest need here is a veteran, someone like Arrietta that Orlando drafted and then traded away because the team thought it had an abundance of players at the position. It is possible the team could bring in a DP here and let Larin/Rochez learn behind him. But I think the likely scenario is a veteran to back up Larin and give Rochez some games at the USL level when all three are healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ribeiro stick around to be the fifth guy behind those three and then Rivas as number three or four. Ribeiro doesn't look like a starter, but he is smart enough and works hard enough to be have a small impact over the course of a season even in limited minutes. You gotta have a few guys like that to have good depth.

25. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, the season is over and I will now turn my attention to 2016 (it was a superstitious thing, didn't want to talk about next year during the playoff push :) )

Big Data posted a lot of information so, I decided to break into positional groups for responses. The first is goalkeeping:

Goalkeeping

Edwards GK $50,000
    Ford GK $60,000
    Hall GK $215,000

Let’s start with the easiest group, as I don't see any real changes here. Between OCSC and OCB, you will need at least three - probably 4 keepers. I suspect we will pick up a 4th one in the player draft. $215,000 might be a touch high for a keeper in MLS, but just ask LA what happens when you go cheap and get rid of your starter and bring in Ricketts. The big wildcard of course is Halls injury - but I'm going to stand with the reports that say it is minor in scope.