News: 2016 Other Teams Discussion thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I only hate the ones who don't realize there is an Arlington in Texas.

JRHokie repped this.
  3. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OTOH, Chicago is building up a really good team - at least on paper

7. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    song219 repped this.
  8. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Sam and now Dax? I can't imagine trading your core players goes over very well in the locker room. I mean, I understand the move in general. That's a crazy amount of Garberbucks in return for a guy whose capable but obviously replaceable. Maybe DC can pry Grella away in the summer when NYRB decides who they're going to splash the cash on.

benni... repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Of course there is the whole thing with the team in Jersey having a HG pipeline that's beginning to pay off.

11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this sounds to me like a salary cap move to cash in on an aging veteran while he's still got good value. Nothing to see here. Sadly, we're usually on the other end of these deals.

12. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    DC traded core player Espindola last season when our number one striker preferred to play left wing. Somehow it worked out nicely for us

13. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we traded him when it was clear he had lost a step(or three) and didn't fit into the new formation anywhere. I don't think Dax has declined nearly to that degree.

The trade was a pragmatic, calculated gamble. Sean Davis steps into a starting job and NYRB gains a bunch of allocation money. Still, questions remain. Who replaces Dax's leadership in the locker room? Can Davis play at or above what Dax could? I think Red Bull will come out ahead in the long haul, but who knows?

14. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True that. If Dax is willing to become an out-and-out destroyer like Beckerman, there's no reason why he couldn't play effectively until his late 30's. So far, this is looking like one of those rare trades that could work out nicely for both sides.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It only works out for NY if Davis turns into a National Team capable replacement, which is very, very far from a sure thing.

DangSkippy repped this.
  16. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Espindola was similar to Pontius and NDL in the beat their marks with dribbling ability and not overly dependent on speed. The playoff loss to NYRB who used speed to attack our defense and man mark our offense lead to a change in shape and philosophy with the addition of three speedy wingers.

Sasha Kljestian will lead them and Davis just has to play well as any replacement for Dax will probably be a step down

17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was excited when we got him and when Benny made him captain shortly thereafter, but the trade for DeRo had to be made. A pity, really, because Dax got better and better while DeRo eventually hit the wall.

fatbastard repped this.
  19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Whoever types thst press release didn't do a good job of explaining. Maybe I'm just slow

21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure, but I think the CCL thing is actually worse for MLS teams, if that was possible. Now we start out with home and away elimination rounds in February. If they'd have switched phase 1 and phase 2, that would be something. WHAT PART OF "IT'S OUR PRESEASON" DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??? :D

22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn't explicitly stated, I'm sure the MLS/MX teams would be separated in the first round. Any potential matchups with MX likely wouldn't start until after 2/3 MLS games.

Tough shit tho if you draw a Costa Rican team, prob same will happen as before.

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if you make it through round 1, you're only two games into the season when the second round hits. All the other teams in the region are at the strongest point in their year. You'll see more MLS teams exiting at the hands, or fins, of minnows.

24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they dropped the group stage for the 2017-18 tournament in favor of a Central American/Caribbean only 16-team knockout bracket in 2017, followed by a 16-team knockout bracket featuring all of CONCACAF starting in February of 2018.

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if MLS will have to adjust how teams qualify for CONCACAF now.

The teams that qualified for the 17/18 version in 2016 won't start until '18 now (a full season removed).

What are the teams that qualify based off of the 2017 season going to do? Not start until '19?

At least when it was just a knockout tourney before, the teams that qualified went straight into the knockout round the next winter, so there wasn't too much roster turnover. With MLS parity/rules, a team that qualified in '16 may look a LOT different when they play their CONCACAF games in '18.