2016 Olympics: Group C - Mexico, Germany, S. Korea, Fiji

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by NCCFBALL, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Skadrist

Skadrist Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    El Norte
    About the same at the club level as Eduardo Vargas.

DankYummy repped this.
  2. El jefe

El jefe New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    How many Olympic medals has Mexico won so far in Brazil? USA has 34 total medals

3. Talisman

Talisman Member+

Aug 5, 2011
    Stamford, CT
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We have 35 total medals.

4. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And this is not the nsr. If you guys want to take the personal crap to the nsr, that'd be great.

He's a mod so deal with it.

The Hyphen repped this.
  5. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We're in a rebuilding stage and as long as we don't have dudes that play with heart the NT is gonna remain stale. The ways of the FMF and Mexican club teams hinder growth all across the board, even among players. This creates complacency all across as well.

That's why we had players like Gio and Vela who once showed passion for the NT but not so much anymore - everyone wants to get paid.

This has always been the case but we had exciting players like Gio, chicha, guardis,vela who made the team exciting for us to watch. The excitement is fading.

I've grown tired of the NT for some time. Chich and guardis are among the few that play with passion but aside from them, the young players still have a way to go to make me feel excited again.

I recommend most of you to pick up new hobbies and not spend as much time following this team. I joined Bsmx when I was in college. I am 32 now and the NT is still the hamster wheel that it was back then. It's not worth it. There is much more to life than this team.

6. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When has Vela ever shown "passion" for the NT. Showing up to play is one thing, showing passion is another.

Baysic repped this.
  7. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Flying cross country to do something for free definitely seems like an act of passion.....shit at least high interest.

Sugatot, Colima24, LGRod and 4 others repped this.
  8. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm sure the sponsorship and image deals make the flight worthwhile.

9. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Also, not beating South Korea and getting outplayed by Fiji in the first half.

El Pipiripau, Sugatot and Colima24 repped this.
  10. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The Fiji game was then Trinidad and Tobago Pan American game repeated. That game was also a game that Mexico had a cake walk and expected it and then played terribly as they were shell shocked. 2-0 down up until the 2nd half and then we won 4-2, with some good subs. Some people have said they didn't show urgency but seeing the game live, they looked shocked and totally nervous especially after that Talavera mistake. That this happened twice to Potro is telling.

Talavera is just the epitome of his failure. Everybody talks about the olympic team and how it's for the future, and we have one of our best GK prospects in Gudiño that could need and olympic tournament for his future NT career. We also had Lajud, who isn't great but 2012 Liborio Sanchez either. Instead we waste an overage spot for Tala, in a position that wasn't needed when we were weak in other spots. To make matter worse, the only good overage player got injured. The only reason that Talavera got called up was Jesus Corona's Senegal game. A good coach would have figured it out, but he didn't.

11. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    To be fair everyone else has WCQ's. Very few opponents are available outside of CONCACHAFA. Honestly rather face NZL than El Salvador or Guatemala again. You can't realistically cancel when the coach has very few practice dates either. And shitty as it sounds, these games are necessary for any processo and player pool.

NCCFBALL repped this.
  12. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh no we suck again

13. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol

Athazagoraphobia and Baysic repped this.
  14. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Bruh. During his main participation with the nt he wasnt sponsored by adiddas, didn't like doing Ads.....y'all really think these fools are getting hyped off a free hotel stay and a flight and the free little bullshit they might get.

El_Huero and LGRod repped this.
  15. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    We are down to praying and hoping. That sums up the problem for Mexico right there. Same for all the other sports in Mexico. It's always kind of sad how smaller countries with lower GDP can get more medals. The only solution is hard work nothing else but we are bogged down by the history of corruption and shortcuts to just get by. I think it's slowly changing but we won't see big gains at leas in the lifetime of most posters in this forum.

Robertinho21, Blue_Demon and DankYummy repped this.
  16. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    To say that he got zero reward is a bit of a stretch though... and I remember that around Mexico City, you could see him on a few billboards here and there.

Whatever, it's not like this matters anymore.

17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Don't NT players actually get paid for playing in these games? Pretty sure they do.

USA players do: http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-fut...usa-usmnt-player-bonuses-money-ussf?eref=sihp

Probably something similar with most national teams

18. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    A good example to parrallel us is England which I know released their payout last year:

"£1500 for winning a match qualifier/friendlies
    £1000 for a draw
    £500 for a defeat"

Compared to what some of those players earn at a club level....they're playing for free.....

Also, risking injury and their media is just as brutal as ours. Obviously our guys will earn more since we inflate everything, but no way that sum is the driving factor to come play with the NT. Inevitably its interest and dedication towards WCs and other potential silverware opportunities.

LGRod and El_Huero repped this.
  19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Just trying to educate breh.

International players don't play for free.

Especially in official competitions... that $203,000 for USA players in 2002 was serious money.

LGRod, SGuerrilla and Baysic repped this.
  20. Azul88

Azul88 Member+

Jun 1, 2010
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Was always going to be hard to go back to back without a captain like Chuy.

21. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    https://www.worldeconomicsassociation.org/newsletterarticles/inequality-in-mexico/

22. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    LOL

23. Blue_Demon

Blue_Demon Member+

Aug 20, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it's the frequent flyer mileage.

So much blame to go around from the very top to the very bottom. And this might include consumers like us that buy the product. Me included. The question is where to start.

24. blue4211

blue4211 Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I disagree with your definition of how a player needs to develop. There isn't one way to develop a player, if we take your definition how do you explain Neymar, Suarez, and many more. There is not one way to develop a player, but the truth is that the top five leagues in Europe are the best. To be considered world class player you have to show it in Europe, not just by developing in an European academy.

25. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Humble pie would dictate the player himself is directly responsible for the hype. Meaning he goes to the press and hypes himself up.

Kid is 20 years old and is already a husband and a father and is in fact, one of the most humble players of his generation.

If nothing else, you seem more concerned with "cobrar facturas" around here and pointing out lack of humility in the players than the games and tournaments themselves.

With all that said, the reaction in this forum is not surprising at all. More than half of you don't even watch the league, don't seem to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Mexican player and are so far removed from all aspects of Mexican futbol that you quickly subscribe to half baked theories from arm chair tacticians.

Someone mentioned lack of urgency being a problem vs South Korea and used Manuel Sol as a crutch for that argument. This is the same guy who claimed Ponchito Gonzalez and Carlos Fierro are, and I f*ckin quote, "rapidisimos". When any of you find tape of Ponchito or Carlos successfully beating their markers off the dribble with speed in LigaMX, let me know. Let me save you the trouble because you won't find that tape. Those players don't have that kind of speed.

Mexico didn't lack urgency vs South Korea, they actively searched for a goal until South Korea scored late in the second half. The problem is people confuse lack of urgency for style of play.

This is how Mexico plays. Lateral build ups while attempting to set the tempo of the game through possession and looking to exploit 1v1 battles on the wings.

Why is anyone surprised or disappointed?

This is Mexico and it has played like this for over two decades now.

It's this very same reason that lead many people to be excited about Hector Herrera, a central midfielder whose instincts prompted him to play vertically instead of laterally. It's also why Carlos Pena was such a stud in LigaMX for a few tournaments....a central midfielder who employed verticality.

If you are looking for different traits or styles in the Mexican player, maybe those people should look to support a different national team.

Self loathing is bad enough but self loathing based on ignorance? Por dios.