2016 Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by gogogo, Jan 13, 2016.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, former ND player Morgan Andrews, who was recruited and who played her freshman year for Waldrum and who left ND after a season under TR for USC, is in the Final Four College Cup.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #77 MRAD12, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Crystal Thomas, former ND forward who transferred out after Waldrum left and took her scoring skills to Georgetown, scored today to lift Georgetown into the College Cup.

So, two very good players who initially came to Notre Dame probably with the dream of making it to the College Cup are finally in the College Cup, except not as an Irish, unfortunately.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, West Virginia's scorer was a transfer from Missouri, according to the broadcast crew.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What does that have to do with Notre Dame?

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's happened at Notre Dame may be symptomatic of something bigger than their particular situation. We're seeing some very high level players transferring. My comment wasn't specifically about Notre Dame, but was about something of which Notre Dame may be a part.

Fitballer repped this.
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #81 MRAD12, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    QUOTE="cpthomas, post: 34872148, member: 119638"]What's happened at Notre Dame may be symptomatic of something bigger than their particular situation. We're seeing some very high level players transferring. My comment wasn't specifically about Notre Dame, but was about something of which Notre Dame may be a part.[/QUOTE]

We've been over this in the past. I don't know the whole situation of why MA left ND but from everything I've read my impression is she became a great fit at USC and McAlpine was able to integrate her special talents into his system and let her do her thing. Final Four is the result.

Andrews is a special talent and I am happy for her to be in the College Cup and I am rooting for her and her team to win it all. She will be a great Pro and I am hoping she will be picked up by the Chicago Red Stars but will most likely be gone by the time their first round pick comes along. If she falls on Randy Waldrum's pick, you can bet he will chose her for the Houston Dash.

Crystal Thomas is a nice kid and has a knack for scoring. I believe she was a walk-on as a freshman at ND and as I remember made an immediate impact. Why she transferred, I have no clue. It may have nothing to do with the coaching change at ND.

Just giving koodos to two former outstanding ND players that have reached the College Cup.

Fitballer and cpthomas repped this.
  7. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Crystal Thomas is listed as a grad student. Did she transfer to Georgetown for an academic specific topic? If she wanted to go poly sci then makes perfect sense.

Morgan Andrews was committed to Boston College before decommitting and going to Notre Dame. Guess the allure of staying close to New Hampshire wore off as she got older?

WV goal scorer was a transfer from Mizzou. Georgetown also had another impact player who was a transfer, starting GK was from UCLA. Transfers abound this College Cup.

8. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Forgot USC also has Alex Anthony from Maryland and Sammy Jo Prudhomme from
    Oregon State

9. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Also Sydney Myers from Santa Clara and Leah Pruitt from San Diego State

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #85 MRAD12, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Can we say that a person transferring from San Diego State or Oregon State is not much of a national story.
    A highly touted, top player transferring out of Notre Dame or North Carolina IS a story. At least to those that are involved in and/or follow the women's game.

11. uswntx

uswntx New Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Amanda Rooney from UNC transferred to USC as well.

12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have always respected your posts MRAD but you obviously have not followed USC soccer this year. Sammy Jo Prudhomme transferred from OSU and has been the primary story at USC this year. Pruitt out of SDSU had a huge impact on the offense. Watch the college cup and you will realize their contributions were every bit as impactful as MAs this year

13. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Actually, ND did not have the money available that Morgan needed (or Papa Andrews wanted) at the time so she made the call on BC. Later, the scholarship situation at ND changed (pretty sure it was the Dri Leone departure) and freed up more money, which prompted the Andrews to reach back out to ND.

14. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    So it's not a big deal. Good thing most kids don't do this. So did ND run out of money, and she reached out to schools who had money left?

15. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It is not a big deal. Actually, players with her caliber do this all the time. I'm sure there was a long line of great programs with money. But also for a great potential player there is always money. Probably that happened with ND. BTW it is amazing that she was able to recover from the hole in she was. Good for her!

16. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Do this all the time? Maybe in Football and MBB, not in women's soccer though dad.

17. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    May be I misunderstood u. Are u talking full ride for four years or something else? She definitely had to have full ride.

18. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    Gtown has a player from Dartmouth who had an extra year eligibility. Corey Delaney.

Dave Nolan has done a great and he's a huge draw for players to attend Georgetown

19. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    I think you've misunderstood. Initially BC was in the mix at the same time as ND. The Andrews were looking for a full ride, ND couldn't make that work at the time so in lieu of going there she opted for a full ride closer to home at BC. This was a verbal commitment. Fast forward 9-12 months, ND loses a big money player, the Andrews reach back out to ND to see if that newly available money might mean an increased scholarship would be available. From there she de-commits to BC, ends up at ND and is now playing in the College Cup for USC.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I recall correctly, I think it was brought up on these boards, the Andrews saga involved Toni Payne of Duke. Payne was supposed to go to Notre Dame but ended up going to Duke instead (not sure of the circumstance), that freed up money to get Andrews.
    Anyone heard the same or know anything about this?

21. Michael Gibson

Dec 23, 2014
    While scholarship money might have led MA to Notre Dame, I don't think it had anything to do with her leaving. Under TR, her playing time steadily decreased during her final season; then she barely played against Texas A&M in the tournament. I could be wrong, but it seemed like more of a playing time issue and/or she didn't get along with the new coach. ND misses her at attacking mid.

22. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Andrews committed at the end of 2010. That was when Boston College went to the College Cup and Notre Dame won the College Cup. That would have been middle of her sophomore year. Can't see how Notre Dame would have spent their entire scholarship limit that early, especially in 2010 for their class of 2013. Maybe Andrews just had a change of heart? Amazing to see how far those tow programs have fallen since then, BC especially. Both could use a top-class caliber player like Andrews.

MRAD12 repped this.
  23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I tend to agree with your assumption. In that Texas A&M game, Morgan Andrews only played 19 minutes. No doubt she was very disappointed and maybe even hurt feelings. That was her last game for ND.

24. uswntx

uswntx New Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    On top of a coaching change at ND, MA was also left off of the U-20 world cup roster that year. USC has an excellent program and connections for her major. Her transfer definitely raised a lot of attention because of her caliber, but change can be good. Best of luck to USC in the College Cup.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good points.