2016 NCAA Season - SKC Academy Players

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by AndyMead, Jul 22, 2016.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does anyone have a list of where SKC Academy player are playing this season?

I know UNC still has Zach Wright and Andy Lopez.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a list, although half way through last season they dropped Lopez's little brother. It also doesn't list Will Little, who I thought committed to NC State.

http://www.sportingkc.com/academy/alumni

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    UNC's 2016 roster still lists the "Sporting KC" affiliation for Andy Lopez.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Little was in the 18 for SPR tonight when most college kids have reported and NCAA season starts on Friday. Last I knew he was still under an academy contract though.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind, I'd been working under the assumption that his academy contract with SPR would expire and allow him to go to NC State this fall. Apparently that's not how it work.

6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding those "academy contracts". I thought there was a limit of 5? Aren't the 4 new guys putting us over that limit? Or am I making the "limit" up?

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. Glad to see we're using this to be honest ... and that they're getting game time.

So if Little is missing time at NC State, assuming he finishes the season with Swope Park since it would be difficult to start class's mid semester?

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really sure how that works honestly.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Zach Wright showing his wheels

14.jpg
    15.jpg

Blando13 repped this.
  11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between Wright and Lopez at UNC and the guys at West Virginia ... not a bad start to the college season.

How realistic is it that we sign some of these players as HG's. Don't they need to train with us during the college offseason (or ideally be playing for a SKC U23 team in the PDL)?

Wright and Lopez aren't from KC so the draw isn't necessarily as strong to come back, but not sure about some of the others with a shot to come in as a HG ... or even as a Swope Park Ranger player.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think all of the evidence is that Lopez is no longer attached to SKC.

And as good as he looks when he plays, he's a Junior and not starting at UNC. He does have some skills, though.

13. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree ... more interested in the overall "process" and logistics of keeping a player HG eligible through college vs the specific players involved. I agree, though being a "first off the bench" type of college soccer player for the #1 team in the league is still nothing to sneeze at.

I'd be really interested in seeing Z Wright and J Piatczyc (West Virginia) develop more with Swope Park in the next year or so.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I like Wright, but I'm not sure if he's more of a Chris Brown/Ryan Pore type player or a Dom Dwyer type player.

Blando13 repped this.
  15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also not sure how many of those HGP were actually considered worth signing by the senior club. Considering the lack of success at the MLS level by guys like Duke, Sweetin, Lee, and De Julio I doubt the team feels like they missed.

17. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree ... I was looking more into the "future" as our Academy gets better (It is getting better I believe). Guys that are getting looks by the youth national teams, by swope park rangers, etc.

I think Wright and J Piatczyc are having arguably better college careers than those Academy graduates before them.

It's really why I'm shocked we don't have a U23 team playing in the PDL during the summers for those types ... to at least keep that HG Status on players that may continue to develop in college.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last night Carolina wore very Sporting-esque jerseys. Indigo or Dark Navy and Carolina Blue.

ajm160905_uncvcu039.jpg

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that it's a year later and it looks like we are signing Wright, let's hope your latter guess is the correct one...

AndyMead repped this.
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seemed like he spent time on the wing for UNC, at least from some of the highlights I've seen, for example this game in the NCAA tournament this year where he had a goal and an assist.

Blando13 repped this.
  21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wright and Alan Winn (who was a US U17 poster boy) would routinely interchange. They started as a second shift top two (or top three with David October). Over the years you see an SKC style top three at UNC more and more. I would say that Wright has been the pivot, or central player, about twice as often as he's been on the wing.

Of course through last year, they had the complicating factor of having the 6'5" Walker Hum and Tucker Hume twin brothers on the field as well as a couple of other 6'2"+ players. That really impacted the way the team played with the shorter Wright and Winn more involved in run of play, but set pieces all being about high balls in the box.

And Andy Lopez was a bench creature this year. Earlier in his career he would come in with the second or third shift and often be "that guy" with the ball, sometimes in a central Feilhaber role, other times a top/wide Zusi role, and definitely the preferred corner/free-kick option when he was on the field. But I guess with the Hume's gone, his free kicks weren't needed as much.

Sachsen repped this.