2016 ladder prediction contest

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Apr 11, 2016.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hi everyone! In past years, I've done a prediction contest that combines a preseason ladder prediction with week-by-week game predictions. These contests have shrunk noticeably each year I've run them, so I'm going to do something different this year to simplify it down, which will hopefully get more people involved and encourage discussion. We're just going to do ladder prediction this year, and I'll leave it open so people can enter the contest (or revise their predictions) through the season with a per-week penalty the later you act.

Here's how the points work:
    --3pts each for correctly picking the spot a team finishes in
    --1pt each for being 1 spot off on where a team finishes
    --1pt bonus each for the NWSL Shield and Wooden Spoon winners
    --3pts bonus for for getting the group of playoff teams correct
    --1pt bonus for getting 3/4 of the playoff group
    --1pt bonus for making a prediction before first kick and sticking with it
    --2pts penalty for each week into the season your last prediction was made ("weeks" begin at kickoff of the first game after the previous Sunday)

You are not required to predict the entire ladder to enter the contest; however, if you predict part of the ladder at one point and then pick the rest of the ladder later, the later date will be the one counted. Feel free to make a prediction now, since you have the opportunity to discuss and revise as the season goes on! To make your predictions official, please include and bold the phrases X - Team Name to show and emphasize your picks. Even if you're just posting a list (i.e. not going in to deep discussion) use that format, please.

As an example, here's my initial prediction (which I'll probably revise before kickoff Saturday):
    1 - Seattle Reign
    With how strong the team already was and how the little turnover they've seen has only been improvements, I don't see how this team can be beaten often enough to be anything but 1st.
    2 - Portland Thorns
    #InParsonsWeTrust. Or lament, since he's across the country now. I think he'll be the one to turn this team around from being strong "on paper only" to being strong on the field as well.
    3 - Orlando Pride
    Going out on a limb here, but Sermanni is smart and he's made a pretty darn good roster down there in Florida. I'm being optimistic, since I could also see them as low as 7th, but I think that'd be more pessimistic than this is optimistic.
    4 - FC Kansas City
    Andonovski knows what he's doing, but his squad took the biggest offseason hit it's ever seen. Still, there's enough talent there that I think he'll definitely get them into the playoffs again.
    5 - Houston Dash
    They were certainly looking up last year, but were still several points out of playoff position. Not so this year - the team is maturing and Waldrum is adjusting to the pro game, I think, and while I again think they'll miss the playoffs, it'll be a cruel miss like the logjam in '14.
    6 - Chicago Red Stars
    A lot of people are thinking Chicago did well last season and are only maturing. I agree about the maturing part, but I don't think that'll help. Why? Well, Chicago rose to 2nd last year on the back of the strongest home field advantage outside of Seattle and a long time span where all teams were going with NT players. Both of those advantages are completely gone this year. Chicago is a solid team, but the more I look at them, I think the reputation they earned last year was inflated. I hope I'm wrong.
    7 - Washington Spirit
    Another team I'm tumbling, though this time it's only because of the coach. They could be a #3 team, but if they succeed, it'll be because of player talent, not coaching. #Garbagga
    8 - Boston Breakers
    At this point in the ladder, I'm placing teams low that I could easily see higher, since aside from my picks for #1 and #10, I could see a five-slot span for any of these teams - i.e. Portland could be anywhere from #2 to #6, and Boston could be anywhere from #5 to #9. Boston is low since its average in my prediction (#7) is lower than other averages. Similarly...
    9 - Western New York Flash
    I could also see WNY going all the way up to 5th with the roster they have. Riley might even fit with this team in a way he couldn't in Portland. However, this is a team in transition. With some stability, I could see them in the playoffs next year. Not this year.
    10 - Sky Blue FC
    Just two days ago, I would've placed them above Boston and WNY, even with their coaching unknown. But one of their linchpins in defense is now no longer with them, and that combined with a thin midfield and an unknown at forward, I think this will be a painful season for them.

CoachJon and holden repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yay!

Here is my prediction:

1. Seattle Reign
    Obvious choice​
    2. Chicago Red Stars
    Sure they lost Benedictine's advantage, but they've got Naeher between the posts. That'll keep them above the rest.​
    3. WNY Flash
    I really think 3-8 is all up for grabs. I know many people aren't high on WNY, but they have a really talented, albeit young, roster. If Riley can work his Philly magic on them, rather than his Portland disillusion, they could find themselves making the playoffs. But if he can't get his act together, they could easily end up 8th. I mostly put them here though, cause I couldn't really think of any other team that I thought would get it outright like I do with 1 & 2.​
    4. FC Kansas City
    I don't know how, but Vlatko will find a way to sneak into the playoffs again. They should still have a strong defense and solid goalkeeping, and even if they don't have Holiday and A-Rod's offensive spark on the offense, if Groom plays like last season they should still score enough to have a 1 goal advantage at the end of most games.​
    5. Orlando Pride
    Put them here, as they seem about average to me. Won't be terrible, won't be great. But that is a fairly decent position to be in as an expansion team. I wouldn't be shocked if they end lower, though.​
    6. Portland Thorns
    They are relying on too many marquee players once again, players who will miss a large portion of time, and won't really have time to gel as a team before it's too late and they have too big of a points gap to be able to claw their way back into the playoffs.​
    7. Houston Dash
    I don't know why they are so low. I really would not be surprised if they ended up 3rd either. I think a lot of it will depend on if Ohai can take the next step and whether their defense can perform all season long.​
    8. Washington Spirit
    The team hasn't really done anything to get better and without Parson's uncanny ability to make them overachieve, they will end up near the bottom of the table.​
    9. Sky Blue FC
    I'd put them last, but you know.... Boston.​
    10. Boston Breakers
    I just wouldn't be me, if I didn't pick Boston to be last.​

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    So a lot of journalist have their preview and I thought why not me, I watch enough NWSL games to have an opinion so I'll be providing my preview and rankings for the season. I have no clues where each team will rank so I rated them on coaching, GK, defense, midfield, forward and intangibles and summed that up. I'll start with last to first

mamalia repped this.
  4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    For me #10 is quite clearly SBFC and I think #1 will be Seattle again simply because they have less glaring issues than their direct competitors. Positions 2 - 9 is anyone's game really.

10. SBFC
    Pro: New coach, ok defense and an exciting player in Kai who even if she doesn't produce much should have enough energy to raise the spirits of her team mates. Simply put, she is good for the locker room.
    Cons: New unknown coach, inexperienced midfield and an undetermined forward corps. All this depends on how Kai plays. Kerr is just coming of injury and who knows how that will affect her.

9. Boston
    It pains me to have them this low but someone has to be 9th. I think their rough schedule to start the season will be a strong test of character. If they can get through that with some points and their spirits still high, they might just surprise people. They have a good defense and midfield on paper. It's left to be seen if this new look midfield can create more chances than the one last season. They certainly will be better defensively with Zerboni and Salem. I also like what I see from Beard so far.

8. Houston
    I just have questions about Houston. I think the forward line is one of the best in the league but below that there are serious gaps. Their midfield also looks top notch on paper but any mid field with Carli Lloyd is not straight forward. Also, that entire midfield will be missing for the world cup which might be 3-5 games. For NWSL that's a lot of games at a crucial time. The defense is also questionable with Roccaro injured, Ochs coming off injury, Brush/Chapman will be missing games, Poliana being an unknown quantity. So yeah if this was any other year I think this is a play off team and they might make the play offs but for now I have them at 8th.

7. Orlando
    I lot of things the organization have done right with this team but one thing they haven't fixed is the gaping hole in mid field. I'm not sure who is going to be creating goals for Morgan and Hagen but we'll see. As for the defense, like Houston they will also be missing too many player for my comfort.

6. Portland
    I wanted to put them lower but I think they will push themselves this high. I'm not sure who Parsons was trying to blindside but the biggest problem with this squad is the lack of depth. It is even worse than it was under Riley. From the current squad, they can not field a full team when NT players are away. Also, Betos and Franch are questionable and if as we suspect Parsons is going to keep rotating them during the season, that will not help the confidence of either and might just exacerbate the issue.

5. Chicago
    Not sure what to make of Chicago but I think the move from Benedictine will be a bigger loss than most people think. As I mention earlier, I think the defense is a bit suspect with JJ being the most senior player. Also, their midfield have played together for a while now and though they are not necessarily bad, there are several teams in the league that have a more potent midfield. The forward corps is top notch though.

4. FCKC
    I think they will sneak into the play off because Vladko. Goals are going to be a problem but if they can have HAO for the entire year, that might alleviate it a bit. We might probably see a mid season trade at some point if things get really dire.

3. WNY
    My sleeper team to make the play offs as I think this roster is really balanced. They have good and experienced players in every position and Paul Riley on a good day is still capable of pulling a rabbit out of his hat.

2. Washington
    Same team that was very good last year and added some missing pieces that should help. Dunn is more well rounded and Matheson is back to start the season. The key will be Tori Huster returning to her 2014 form and Ordega and Stengel helping out Dunn with the scoring load. Also, the team might improve 35% if Gabarra simply doesn't play Krieger in midfield.

1. Seattle
    As I said they are number simply because they have less glaring issues than their rivals. The left side for them is still an issue but I think if Pickett is struggling at the start of the season, they can easily slide Barnes to LB and have Reed playing RB again. So not a major concern.

5. mrr5

mrr5 Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Seattle
    1 - Seattle Reign
    2 - Chicago Red Stars
    3 - Portland Thorns
    4 - Western New York Flash : The dark horse
    5 - Washington Spirit
    6 - Houston Dash
    7 - Orlando Pride
    8 - FC Kansas City
    9 - Boston Breakers
    10 - Sky Blue FC

6. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My choices:

1. Seattle: Continuity and stability.
    2. Chicago. Great young players.
    3. Portland. Should be number one based on talent, but an under performer.
    4. Washington Spirit. My emotions rule this choice
    5. KC. Too many personnel losses to be a top team.
    6. Orlando. Good environment for a new team.
    7. Houston. Too few really good players.
    8. WNY. Could be a little better, could be worse.
    9. Boston. Improved over last year.
    10.Sky Blue. A franchise in trouble. I wish them well, but....

7. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 - Seattle Reign - Obvious.
    2 - Chicago Red Stars - Returning a lot of talent and a top GK.
    3 - Washington Spirit - Returning a sneaky large number of starters.
    4 - Portland Thorns - The stacked team will take time to gel.
    5 - Houston Dash - A quietly improved team.
    6 - Orlando Pride - Another good team that will take time to gel.
    7 - FCKC - They just lost too much all at once. Will be better towards the end of the season due to coaching.
    8 - Western New York - Too much turnover and not enough of it includes star players.
    9 - Sky Blue - Ouch. They will win some on the backs of just a few players.
    10 - Boston Breakers - Sky Blue looks bad, but Boston just is bad.

8. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    1 - Seattle Reign
    2 - Chicago Red Stars
    3 - Washington Spirit
    4 - Houston Dash
    5 - FC Kansas City
    6 - Portland Thorns
    7 - Western New York Flash

8 - Orlando Pride

9 - Boston Breakers
    10 - Sky Blue FC

9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I'm surprised how high most people are picking Washington.

BlueCrimson and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally did my predictions. My method for picking 1-10: I ranked each team in GK, defense, midfield, forward, bench, and coach. So the team with the best keepers got 1, the second best 2, and so on. Then I added up each team's total marks to get their final score. The lower the total score, the higher in the rankings they ended up.

1. Seattle
    2. Kansas City (big surprise for me, but they did well enough to end up second)
    3. Houston
    4. Western New York
    5. Orlando
    6. Chicago
    7. Portland
    8. Washington
    9. Boston
    10. SkyBlue

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 lil_one, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    I sincerely want to put someone besides Seattle as #1 just to be contrary, but alas...

1 - Seattle
    2 - Chicago
    3 - Kansas City
    4 - Houston
    5 - Western NY
    6 - Orlando
    7 - Washington
    8 - Portland
    9 - Sky Blue
    10 - Boston

12. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 - Seattle Reign
    2 - Washington Spirit
    3 - Portland Thorns
    4 - Chicago Red Stars
    5 - Orlando Pride
    6 - Western New York Flash
    7 - Boston Breakers
    8 - FC Kansas City
    9 - Houston Dash
    10 - Sky Blue FC

13. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    1 - Chicago Red Stars :p
    2 - Seattle Reign
    3 - Portland Thorns
    4 - Washington Spirit
    5 - Orlando Pride
    6 - FC Kansas City
    7 - Sky Blue FC
    8 - Houston Dash
    9 - Boston Breakers
    10 - WNY Flash

14. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Seattle
    2. Chicago
    3. Washington
    4. Portland
    5. Houston
    6. Kansas City
    7. Orlando
    8. Boston
    9. WNY
    10. Sky Blue

15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Seattle
    2. Chicago
    3. Kansas City
    4. Orlando
    5. Portland
    6. Western New York
    7. Houston
    8. Washington
    9. Boston
    10. Sky Blue

17. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    1 - Chicago Red Stars
    2 - Seattle Reign
    3 - Washington Spirit
    4 - Houston Dash
    5 - Western NY Flash
    6 - FC Kansas City
    7 - Portland Thorns
    8 - Orlando Pride
    9 - Boston Breakers
    10 - Sky Blue FC

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    1. Seattle - Not only talent but stable roster all season - think Melis has fun
    2. Chicago - Strong on all 3 lines...maybe generally down a bit from last year but Naeher big upgrade
    3. Houston - If youth is served most diverse attack in league...Brooks helps iffy spine
    4. Washington - Not sure Dunn can repeat 2016...like Banini/Matheson adding creativity to midfield...schedule/plex
    5. Portland - lots of talent but too much in and out...probably next year...play Seattle 4 times
    6, Kansas City - solid defense keeps them around but need Groom to win golden boot to make playoffs
    7. Western NY - Still a year away...not sold on GKs...see them up and down all season
    8. Orlando - not bad on paper but iffy midfield...but if midfield holds their own could be much higher
    9. Boston - Much improved spine but still dont trust the goal scorers...GK questions
    10. SkyBlue - Probably have trouble beating their own old timers team. Could be middle of table without defections

19. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle
    Chicago
    Portland
    Washington
    WNY
    Houston
    FCKC
    Orlando
    Boston
    Sky Blue

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    To be honest with a balanced schedule I would have picked them lower and Portland higher. The Spirit made the playoffs last year with 30 points. If that's the break point this year and they get all 12 points against SkyBlue they only need 18 points against the rest of the schedule to get there.

21. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's worth keeping in mind that Portland and Seattle play each other four times, while Washington plays Sky Blue four times.

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which means nothing after those results.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm going to make one minor modification to the rules to be a bit nicer to people who might only join the contest (or the forums entirely) in midseason. Change this:
    to this
    I know most of us with ladders up already either didn't account for the 4x's in the schedule (myself included) or are second-guessing themselves after this first week's games, so I will expect some updates in the coming weeks before the 2pt/week penalty gets too strong!

In the meantime, since this thread was made to welcome discussion as well, I'm going to post my current guess for Power Rankings. And if you wish to do the same, please do NOT use the bold formatting I outlined in the Rules post! You don't want me reading your Power Ranking as an official updated ladder prediction, right? =-)

Anyway, my Power Rankings;
    1: I think there's no question that HOU gets first spot. They were clearly the most cohesive, dominant team in their game this weekend. They may drop in the future if they burn out or if other teams with stronger rosters start gelling better, but right now it's all about #DashOn
    2: Similar to how I hated doing this in my ladder, I have to put POR as number two in my power rankings right now. They clearly weren't gelling that well, but with their talent overall and great play from Heath & Horan, they got the result, and against a very good Pride team at that.
    3: Sky Blue comes up as the surprise at my third slot. I haven't watched that game, but even if Seattle was listless and uninspired like was said in the P/I/P thread, anyone who can beat that roster AND break the Memorial undefeated streak has to be doing something right.
    4: Even though the Pride lost, they honestly didn't look like an expansion team to me. They arguably gelled even more than Portland did, just had a mishap or two and didn't have anyone put in a stellar performance like H&H. This team will be one to watch.
    5/6: I didn't watch the KC/WNY game either, but it sounds like it was a relatively close game. WNY got the win but I'd say KC still has the better roster, so I'm putting both in the middle of the pack for now.
    7/8/9/10: Yes, DC won. But I was not impressed. Yes, BOS lost. But after giving up the early goal, they kept the game very even. Then you SEA and CHI who were inexplicably bad despite their rosters. I'm not sure who to rank where down here.

24. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    1 - Portland Thorns
    2 - Washington Spirit
    3 - Seattle Reign
    4 - Houston Dash
    5 - Western New York
    6 - FC Kansas City
    7 - Chicago Red Stars

8 - Sky Blue
    9 - Orlando Pride