2016 In-Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While he was walking off the field, I wondered where his friends, who played the fife and drum, were.

dadman, GumbyG, Oveki8 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Bill to join USA for the NZ game here

Oveki8, Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joined the Cuban revolution by mistake..? :oops:

Winoman repped this.
  4. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Please no injuries. Still waiting on a Birnbaum update which I know we won't hear much until an hour before kickoff

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With eight stitches in his head (his most effective body part) I can't imagine him suiting up for a friendly. If Klinsi plays him he will have some 'splaining to do to Ben.

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    If Birnbaum plays, time to unleash the raccoons on Klinsi.

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If we have the ability to release raccoons on Klinsmann, we should definitely do it no matter what.

BassNFool, QuietSide and Marco10 repped this.
  8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    And they haven't been fed for seven days.

9. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    When RFK closes next season the raccoons should be trapped and transported to Fedex. On the other hand, the owner over there leaves crumbs too small for a raccoon.

10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe if you set them loose in the owner's box...

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that he's "a gameday decision" makes me think he'll at least be fine for Sunday, which is what matters more anyway.

Has anyone heard any updates on Opare, Sarvas, Franklin, or anyone else I'm forgetting who is injured and might be back. I know Korb and Rolfe are out.

12. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, we're locked into the 4/5 game, likely meaning a home-and-away against NYRB if we win the play-in round. That first leg of the semifinals would be the third game in 8 days. We've played well in those situations, but it has required a lot from our bench.

A win over Orlando next Sunday means we host MTL. Anything else depends on the Impact's result.

So -- do we send in the second-string to play Orlando, knowing that it might result in going on the road on Wednesday? Or do we play our top players, knowing that they'll have to go Wednesday and then again against a rested NYRB team the following Sunday?

13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they have to play their best eleven against Orlando because the knockout game at home is statistically significant. Or is it? Im only basing that on the regular season, the playoffs could be different.
    Maybe give Neagle a start.

Oveki8 repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You have to go for home field advantage in the playoffs.

Oveki8 and UnitedBorn repped this.
  15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chances of going to MTL and winning and then coming back here to play well on the weekend against a good team vs. staying here against MTL and winning and then waiting for a good team to arrive. I'd much rather push a little harder vs. Orlando (if it even takes that) and having the second option.

JRHokie, Oveki8, UnitedBorn and 2 others repped this.
  16. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good:
    United has conceded 43 goals, good for second best in the East behind Toronto. This is a good foundation for success.
    United has taken the second most shots in MLS, just seven behind KC. Good stuff, can't score if you don't shoot.
    United has scored 51 goals this season. This is after averaging less than a goal a game after 20 games. Quite a turnaround.

The bad:
    United leads the league in fouls committed, by a large margin, like 30. This is reflected in Marcelo and Lucho both being in the top five in yellows. United has conceded too many goals from free kick opportunities, this should be a focus going into the playoffs. They have to continue to be physical but walk the tightrope, particularly within forty yards of their goal.

Boloni86, Bolivianfuego, Oveki8 and 2 others repped this.
  17. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see how you can put Franklin and Sarvas back in the lineup after these performances.

Boloni86, Winoman, DCUSA and 1 other person repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would put Sarvas back in for Vincent in a heartbeat even though Vincent has been good enough. If Jeffrey's in his spot instead, that might be a harder decision - but both Sarvas and Jeffrey are about a millisecond away from a yellow at any given time, albeit in totally different ways :)
    I might leave NDL in because I fear he'd forget things if you took him out for a game or two :)

Winoman, DCUSA and benni... repped this.
  19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 3m3 minutes ago
    Marcelo Sarvas (knee), Sean Franklin (calf), Kofi Opare (concussion) training with D.C. United, bolstering depth for MLS playoffs #dcu

Depth my friends... depth. None of them should walk into the lineup, although getting any of them minutes vs. Orlando would be great if possible.

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fwiw, a Black&Red United guy sent out a very similarly-info'd tweet 2 minutes before Goff did, it was a tad weird timing-wise.

He did not mention Opare, but did add that that Korb was working on the side (which I loved reading)

Winoman repped this.
  21. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any ideas or theories on Wednesday or Thursday for the play-in game?

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    JRHokie and benni... repped this.
  24. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  25. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I just caught the last 20 minutes or so and then 20 minutes of celebrating from Uniteds' 1996 MLS championship - the first year of the league. So good to see all those great young players, and even a young Dave Johnson. When the game ended no one left the stadium. All of American soccer was celebrating the return of the pro game. Nice to watch it at a time when we can look forward as well as back.

Winoman repped this.