2016 In-Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 23, 2016.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The optimism thread is thataway -------->>>>>>>

After much discussion with myself and considering all of my opinions I've decided that because I have the best people and the best words that I was qualified to start this thread.

Lets keep the esoteric media/and DCU Intern created propaganda to the media droppings thread. This is a place to praise, bitch, whine, celebrate, and commiserate.

Cheers,

p.s. - when does the season start again?

Alejandro 10, Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Okugo now "training" with RBNY, so that ship has apparently sailed.

3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the arrangement @morrissey and I have, where I do the thinking and he does the work.

I'm gonna start replying to all the hate mail I get from forum users about you and stick up for you from now on.

4. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Trump still has the best words though

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
  6. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I am surprised Okugo is having trouble staying employed. I think the dude is a good player. Versatile too. He's maybe a better defensive midfielder than central defender, but he can play either position for sure. I'd take him over Jeffery in heartbeat unless maybe his salary demands are an issue. I don't know.

JRHokie repped this.
  7. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Oh no, we're stuck with only 12 midfielders

bigredfutbol, Alejandro 10 and GumbyG repped this.
  8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    You say that, and yet, DM is one of our weaker spots. We have Sarvas playing out of position, Clowes playing in the USL, Jeffrey twisting in the wind, and Halsti trying to find match fitness/MLS fitness/whatever. DM is not anything even remotely approaching a steady or filled position, and Okugo represents a possibility for a younger, more athletic upgrade. Hell, it's something we tried to upgrade all offseason in the absence of Kitchen (our pursuit of Gil, Rodriguez' trial, the Nocerino saga, etc.). We aren't in any way, shape, or form set at that position, so any attempt to improve our roster at a weaker position is always going to be worthwhile.

Alejandro 10, Eastern Bear and GumbyG repped this.
  9. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I agree completely. I didn't expand on it but what I was implying is that in spite of all those midfielders we are not at all strong at that position - hence trialing even more of them.

Edit: And yes I realize it was impossible to tell that from my comment :)

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same thought until I looked at his salary from last year. 4-5 times Jeffrey I think... give or take. I imagine he'd come down from that, but I doubt he'd come down to the same range as Jeffrey.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I wonder if we could make a play for Yeltsin Tejeda this summer. Costa Rican NT players generally don't mind coming to MLS. He was great at the World Cup and got himself a transfer to Evian in Ligue 1. But that club got relegated since then, and now is getting sucked into the Ligue 2 relegation battle. I'm sure the player is ready to leave that situation and MLS would be a step back up for him. The club may also be ready to salvage whatever money they can from their last remaining assets. They paid just under one million for him and see no reason why they wouldn't sell him for the same amount.

He's 24, kind of a live wire, high work rate on the defensive side, but also some box to box qualities to contribute in attack.

ElApacheTevez and JRHokie repped this.
  12. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I'm sorry, you sound more competent and thoughtful than our current system of waiting for DVDs to show up in the mail or hoping for a glimpse of a player while dining out on the town on some foreign junket. DC doesn't do thoughtful targeting, but thanks for the effort.

13. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Good+news+everyone+good+news+everyone+to+everyone+who+saw_ad6360_5681313.jpg
    714060395636473856 is not a valid tweet id

Untroubled by Reason, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    oh great - another forward who can't score

16. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're only saying that because he never has in the past. But it doesn't necessarily follow that your past scoring form dictates your future scoring form.

I mean, Chris Rolfe and Nick DeLeon used to score goals and this season they don't, so...

Maybe I should stop trying to make myself feel better about this team. #2010or2013? #gonnabealongseason

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  17. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Come on Mike. You know they can't afford to invest in one of those fancy new DVD players. The VCR is still working just fine. Tradition!

asitis

18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This stinks of another Syamsir Alam situation ... some shrewd scouting from the suits up above ...

19. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think we actually see Mancini play at some point this season frankly. If we lose the next two matches i'd put it at 99% likely

TowsonDad repped this.
  20. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    comparison of drudgeries, monthly update
    through 4 games...

2010 0-4-0, 0 points, 2 GF & 11 GA
    2013 1-2-1, 4 points, 2 GF & 4 GA
    2016 0-2-2, 2 points, 2 GF & 8 GA

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which means it's pretty likely.

22. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Sounds this belongs in the optimism thread, right? Outlook is almost bright compared to 2010. "So you're saying I have a chance"

23. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    And when he does his nickname needs to be The Pink Panther. For you other old facts out there

Oveki8 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club: