2016 Houston's Other Sports Teams Discussion [NDR]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The Super Bowl playoffs are starting and the Texans have a chance to end the Chiefs' 10-game winning streak.

#BullsOnParade #KCstillsucks

2. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Without Hoyer's mistakes and that 100-yard touchdown kickoff by the Chiefs, the Texans should be winning this game. :mad::(:sick:

#PutWeedenOn

3. houhen

houhen Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Atascocita
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Needs:

QB
    RB
    TE-
    OL? Might need a replacement for Brown.

Defense
    LB's
    Mercilus is locked up.
    Cushing is serviceable.

I really can't think of any glaring defensive issues if this production keeps up next year. Huh.
    But um, yeah. Watt's not getting to the thought of a ring in Houston unless they address the Offense.
    At least we got some brief excitement out of it.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. SogeJ

SogeJ Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What's with KC kicking our asses in all sports?

6. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Also need a new GM.
    They can't beat us in basketball or hockey. ;)

7. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick Smith got somebody's nudes and using them as ransom so McNair ain't firing him... Needs to go find a way to promote him and get him out that GM role

CeltTexan and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does a man like Hoyer say to his teammates immediately after throwing 4 picks and fumbling another turnover in a massive home playoff loss?!?
    "Um, I am sorry guys...it looks like I will never play in the NFL again. Y'all others, have nice careers however."---Hoyer

Our forum tag line still reigns supreme!

9. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well it's not as worst as the kicker from Minnesota and some of the defensive players from Cincinnati.

10. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If the Texans don't seriously inquire about a competent QB, every year is gonna be the same story. We can't get by with just 'game managers' like Hoyer and Fitzpatrick. You need a gamer, somebody that can sling it, because you don't really have a running game. With an elite D and Hopkins, an above average QB would make all the difference. You're wasting all of that talent otherwise.

CeltTexan repped this.
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dutch Lions FC NPSL Announced as Expansion Team
    The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is proud to announce that Dutch Lions FC NPSL (Conroe, TX) has joined the league as an expansion team. The club will compete in the South Region’s South Central Conference.
    “We are very excited to add Dutch Lions FC to the NPSL family,” NPSL Chairman Joe Barone remarked. “They have a great brand, a world-class facility, and an exciting style of play. This is a great day for our fans and supporters in the region.”
    Dutch Lions FC is led by CEO and Business Director Dennis Kroeze, CFO and Vice President Robbert Kroeze, and Head Coach and Technical Director Marco Pruis.
    Home matches will be played at the Houston Dutch Lions FC Soccer Facility in Conroe, TX. The facility features a clubhouse and fields with state-of-the-art artificial playing surfaces.
    “We expect a highly competitive league with many teams from Texas playing in this conference,” Pruis added. “We are a new addition to the NPSL and hope to adapt to the high standards the other organizations within the league offer.”
    Dutch Lions FC is run under the European professional model, open to all players looking to improve their skills and cultivate a love for the game of soccer. Their goal is to develop young players by utilizing only top-quality professionally licensed coaches and the highly successful Dutch soccer philosophy.
    “Supported by a youth academy, we look to bring next level soccer to the Conroe/The Woodlands area,” Pruis added. “We are looking forward to give local talent a chance to showcase their skills to our fans.”
    Dutch Lions FC is widely regarded as a gateway to professional soccer thanks to professional training programs and the high rate of player success.
    More information about the club can be found at www.dutchlionsfc.com.

Heft repped this.
  12. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texans wheeling and dealing today.

Got a RB, QB, and a OG. I think we draft an OL.

Heft repped this.
  13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Just picked up a new Center too, though he might not be as good.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It's complicated. As with the Dynamo, there are serviceable players someone else can use if they are ok with moderate results and solid production, and there are players one should pursue if they have actual aspirations. I think the negative assessment of Hoyer is spot on because he was exposed by KC and some other teams. However, quietly he amassed 19TD and 7Int not unlike the agonizing Fitzpatrick the year before. It was a throughput problem as much as a talent deal: he can get OK numbers it just takes too many drives to do it.

To me, like Bruin and Barnes last season. They can put up OK numbers it will just take 30 games of devoted offense and endless shots to do it, and you won't win that way.

Osweiler my concern would be, is he really a hidden gem potential starter or just another signing of a backup elevated beyond his station (Schaub, Hoyer, etc.)? This is the first year of significant PT and he was benched for the playoffs behind a rubber armed Manning who actually struggled.

Beyond that, we spent way too much money for his services. He is not a proven starter, he's a half season guy who got benched again. But we just paid serious starter money. And this team needs an actual starter. Too many years of wasting skill position talent. We already burned Andre's career, the clock is now ticking on the Nuk.

And that is a concern also relevant to the Dynamo, we shouldn't be giving mediocre players 3 year runs, by the time they pull the plug on Lopez or Ashe or whatever the guys with the actual talent are retired or demand a trade and that quality team is dismantled. Gotta be more ruthless. It's not about making numbers, it's about correctly composing a jigsaw puzzle around the talent we have. I'm concerned on defense in particular we are frittering away some decent offensive talent's tenure.

15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think it's so much as lack of ruthlessness as it is the issue of contracts in most cases. If a team makes a mistake in acquiring a player, they usually have to pay for the mistake, and are not free from the financial consequences.

16. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even when we aren't talking about the dynamo, somehow JC brings up Bruin. Can't escape it....

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #17 juvechelsea, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    This is the passive, "just desserts" theory of it. If the CBA says, only players with x tenure cannot be released, those are the rules of the game. If a player lacking CBA tenure is sub-par, it is not our obligation to carry the contract to term, if we have another choice. If a player on a short term loan is sub-par, it is not our obligation to bring them back another year for a second chance (Miranda, Lopez). If a player frustrates and runs out their contract, we can let them go (Bruin, Sarkodie, etc.). If a player underwhelms and can be traded (Ashe) in a way that helps the team, have at it.

There is rarely a situation where a player is simultaneously bad performance and high expense such that they cannot be moved. We now know even Davis with his sizeable deal can be dealt. Ashe, who people thought could not go, could in fact go to the rest team under the right stresses. Driver, who was headed out the door. Etc. etc.

This is in fact about ruthlessness. If none of these Spaniards are that impressive, are all playing for six figures, and have no CBA guarantees, why are they treated any different than Koke? They occupy cap, they were expected to contribute, I think we can do better. Hit the market. The Texans just cut Arian Foster and will soon probably cut Hoyer. You're making the Keep Foster argument.

I think when we were very good there was an argument to be made, among elite teams, that loyalty was a valuable distinction. But we were also known for willingly letting players like Jaqua go, and in the famous first season cut Cerritos midyear to bring in Dalglish. Ale made way for Ngwenya and then Kamara. We have actually been quite ruthless before when it helped the side fill a need in a competitive year. I think the Forever Orange bit suits the fanboys at the expense of actual history, which is we have sometimes ditched long term franchise players if we thought there was a better Plan B. At least in the title years......since then, yeah, we have ridden Ching into the ground, for all the good that did us.....years of underpowered offense on otherwise competitive teams coming up a goal or two short in the playoffs.

To me, the defense to a man has not done enough to earn their keep. There are no reasons other than blind faith and naive loyalty to stay the course.

This is a mediocre performance team on what everyone wants to say is a tight budget, we can't allow people to stage a sit-in and not earn their keep. Everyone has to be rowing in the same direction for budget teams to compete. If you are forever content letting certain disappointments play out the string, we are not going to be title competitive.

18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's not how it works. Hoyer can be cut, but you still have to pay him.

19. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap you read all of that?

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    At least under the old CBA, only at x point in the MLS season -- roster freeze -- were we obligated for the season salary and effectively stuck. Until then, I understood it to be, you allocate what you actually paid. I also understood it as, if you had less than 3 years' tenure, you could be cut until a point in the season. Only tenured players had effective immunity.

So at least under the old CBA, this is not Hoyer, I don't owe them a full contract "charge" against my cap even if I am allowed to release them.

And this also neglects the more congenial approaches to shedding players, trades, mutually agreed terminations, let the deal or loan run out and change the locks, etc.

Your Hoyer argument is really more complicated, anyway. NFL teams are responsible for guaranteed/earned money and pro-rated bonuses. If a player has earned all of their guaranteed money, you walk when they are released. If a player actually has a guaranteed contract or a pro-rated chunk of bonus, this is dead money on the cap. You are also allowed one deferral per season of a dead money cap hit.

So it's in some ways like MLS. If Hoyer is guaranteed like Bruin, yes, it's cap money as a normal rule, though there is the deferral. But if not, here today, gone tomorrow. And half my point is the Spaniards have not been here a tenured term under the old CBA. Maybe the rules changed. Maybe they were guaranteed. But we may not be required to carry them, and if you think back to Koke or Akinbiyi, one virtue of foreign untenured players as opposed to CBA MLS vets has been expendability. To back off from that ruthlessness now would be self defeating. Get players in here who can play.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    "(a) Guaranteed: A guaranteed SPA is most advantageous for the player. It cannot be terminated by the
    league if the player is hurt or based on the player’s performance. It can only be terminated by the league under
    extraordinary circumstances like gambling on games or testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.
    Approximately 10% of players in the league have guaranteed contracts.
    (b) Semi-guaranteed: The vast majority of senior roster players sign semi-guaranteed contracts. A semiguaranteed
    contract cannot be terminated while the player is unfit due to injury, and cannot be terminated
    between July 1 and Dec. 31 unless the player was unfit on July 1 due to injury and becomes fit before the end of
    the year. Between January 1 and July 1, a player with a semi-guaranteed contract can be terminated based on
    his performance.
    (c) Non-guaranteed: All Developmental players sign non-guaranteed contracts. These contracts can be
    terminated by the league at any time based on the player’s performance, or because of an injury."
    -CBA FAQ

"Clubs may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. A club may waive a Semi-Guaranteed Player at any time during the regular season until 48-hours prior to the Contract Guarantee Date. A club may waived a Guaranteed or Semi-Guaranteed Player after the Contract Guarantee Date only with League approval. Clubs may not waive a player between the Roster Freeze Date and MLS Cup.

Semi-Guaranteed Players waived on or after the Contract Guarantee Date of any League year and Guaranteed Players waived anytime, and who clear waivers (i.e. not picked up by another club), will continue to have their Salary Budget Charge count against the Club Salary Budget. The club waiving the player will not receive a replacement player except through the Discovery Process."
    -MLS Roster Rules

So as I understand it, the old tenure rule has been replaced by a rule differentiating waivers and cap hits between Guaranteed (stuck), Semi-guaranteed (stuck after July 1), and non-guaranteed (anytime).

So if you have an underperforming semi-guaranteed why on earth just roll with it? Do the old Kinnear thing. You didn't cut it half a season, later. On to the next one.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    FWIW Hoyer is only $4.5 m guaranteed for life of deal, some of which may be consumed already, and we have a one-time deferral available for him or Foster. Or maybe we sit on it a season.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    His numbers weren't bad, so why dump him. We need a serviceable backup.

24. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we just signed Denver's serviceable backup?

..Oh wait, he was signed to be our starter....

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  25. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference between Hoyer and BO, is Hoyer had a chance at a starting position at a couple of teams. BO was being groomed to be a starter, but wasn't ready when Denver brought in a instant hall of famer in Manning. The two aren't comparable.

Hoyer had his chance and blew it. Hell he rode out in a blaze of glory throwing 5 int. and embarrassed the organization, while living up to his reputation of bombing in big games.

BO on the other hand has waited out his time, learned from the QB's around him. Manning went out, he stepped in and held a offense together to get them through big games. He didn't do Brady numbers, but he won games.