2016 Gulf cup of Nations

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Nov 18, 2014.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Iraq named 2016 Gulf Cup hosts, final decision in three months

RIYADH: The regional football family has awarded the 2016 Gulf Cup to
    Iraq, it emerged on Tuesday.

The Gulf football officials said the event would be confirmed after an
    inspection of Basra where the event is likely to take place.
    The body further said the event would only be confirmed once FIFA
    clearance is obtained.

The actual confirmation on Iraq hosting the event would be delivered
    in the next three months, officials said on Tuesday.

http://www.qfa.com.qa/iraq-named-2016-gulf-cup-hosts-final-decision-in-three-months/

Mussab86 repped this.
  2. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    It wont happen LOL.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  3. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    With the whole ISIS situation, I cant see that happening. Iraq is in a state of protracted internal conflict which is not going to be solved in a year or two.
    Whoever decided to award it to Iraq must have been smoking some strong hashish.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Well, they did say Basra.....they've gone for the very south possibility....Iraq don't have much look in hosting this competition!! Will go to Kuwait then?

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Iraq nearly pulled out of the 2014 edition after it was taken away from them.....if 2016 is they would probably pull out forever?

6. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    If they do pull out permanently, then good riddance to them. None of the GCC countries would lose any sleep over it. In fact, if anything, I'd wager that a handful of major football governing bodies in the GCC are secretly looking for an excuse to ban Iraq from participating in future Gulf Cup tournaments, without making it appear as though that's what they wanted all along. Personally, I don't think the next tournament should be held in an unstable country just for the sake of appeasing a few Iraqis who don't even consider themselves to be part of the Gulf Arab community in the first place. And besides, who's going to offer/provide protection to the guests? Judging by how the Iraqi armed forces deserted so many towns and cities in the last few months, like a bunch of cowards, I really don't think they should be trusted with hosting a sporting event that will most likely be targeted by various terrorist groups, all of which have their own reasons to attack the visiting teams.

If the Iraqis can stabilize whatever's left of their country again, then by all means they're more than welcome to host the next tournament. But I doubt that'll happen.

7. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    I don't think Iraq were awarded the hosting rights of the next Gulf Cup tournament for innocent/naive reasons, to be perfectly honest. I think there's more to it than meets the eye. It's no secret that the more times the Iraqis lose their right to host the next Gulf Cup tournament, the more likely they would permanently withdraw from the tournament due to frustration. They've already threatened to withdraw from the Gulf Cup when it was decided that Saudi Arabia would host the 22nd edition, so it'll most likely be the final nail in the coffin for Iraq if it happens to them again, in my opinion.

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I don't know...it's a bit odd the decision....it's not like they needed to announce a host now, could have waited till February with the start of the club competition.

It's almost like they are either playing a long game in were they pull it from Iraq and make them kick up a fuss to leave but then whoever made the decision must look at themselves and take the accusations of being so absurd to hand it to a war torn country in the first place!

In two years time, I guess anything can happen, but to have the decision makers then say is too risky would be laughable when you can see it now!

I personally believe someone's thought long and hard and believes that war/politics/football can go hand in hand. They think sport is above war, but bombs and violence don't stop for anybody. You can play a domestic competition in a war zone but you can't invite international teams, that's just stupid. Teams will simply withdraw and then the tournament would be cancelled and put back a year to 2017 and then 6 months before moved...that's what will happen...Iraq will have a dicky fit and be gone altogether.

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  10. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Good news for me i can attend the matches

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Competition set to be played between 25th December - 7th January

12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Bahrain Football Association board chairman Shaikh Ali bin Khalifa Al Khalifa attended the GCC, Iraqi, and Yemeni football associations’ presidents meeting in Kuwait on Thursday.

The meeting, chaired by Kuwait Football Association President Shaikh Talal Al Fahad, decided to postpone awarding the 23rd Gulf Cup’s hosting rights to Kuwait after reviewing the inspection committee’s reports.

The presidents also reviewed the associations’ general secretaries’ reports and decided for the tournament to take place from December 22, 2015 to January 4, 2016 instead of the earlier proposed dates from December 25 to January 7.

Shaikh Talal Al Fahad affirmed that the tournament’s fate will be decided on in the general secretaries’ next meeting on July 27.

Shaikh Ali bin Khalifa was accompanied by his deputy, Mr. Ali Ahmed Al Buainain

http://bfa.bh/detail/2214

Does this mean that Kuwait aren't hosting?

13. Parisian75

Parisian75 Member

Mar 13, 2015
    @ahdaafme: It seems that the #GulfCup 23 will be postponed/moved. @KuwaitFA President Talal Al-Fahd confirms that stadiums are not ready.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    They've confirmed the dates but not the host.

If not hosted in Kuwait, it will go to Qatar as the next in line. Now, why Qatar in 2016 instead of a world cup year in 2018?? Hmm.

15. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    It was confirmed that Kuwait will be hosting Gulf Cup 23 but not it is postponed for a year as the stadiums are not ready

druryfire and Radu Razvan repped this.
  16. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    23rd Gulf Cup to be held Dec 22: KFA

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/23rd-gulf-cup-to-be-held-dec-22-kfa/

17. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    Football association agrees to host 23rd Gulf Cup as previously decided.

http://en.alkuwaityah.com/Article.aspx?id=24212

[​IMG]

18. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Kuwait will not host the Gulf Cup at all according to agreement with Ministry Council @Ahdaafme

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so any news on this, when or where it will be played?

20. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    December 2016 in Qatar

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

22. Kurdii110

Kurdii110 Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    ******** this cup.

23. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    news update: they decided to Kuwait a chance until June if they are not ready by then the it'll be moved to Qatar

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England