2016 FSU thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  2. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Great draw today :)
    Let's get 3 or 4 teams in the college cup and play again!

sweepsit repped this.
  3. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I do not know. Generally, the quality of ACC games in this year was uninspiring. Today's result was fair. Neither UNC nor FSA played sophisticated, high IQ football. I know they were probably tired, but still. I was not able to see any recognizable strategies on the attacking end. Hope the next 5 days will provide enough time to regroup.

4. Ben.D

Ben.D New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Waiting for NCAA bracket announcement. Still hopeful that FSU is seeded 1#

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tats not even remotely likely (but crazier things have happened)

6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    A 4 loss UF gets a one seed?
    I have a small problem with FSU getting a 3 seed.
    How a team finishes the season should carry some weight.
    We should have been a 2 seed IMO.
    Why does UF get a 1 seed with 4 losses?
    Especially since one loss was 3-0.

Being in the UF region is as good as we could have hoped for.
    This is our weakest team in some years, but it is still dangerous with
    an excellent D and 2 good players up top in McFarland and Castellanos.

7. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with most of that. think the RPI just hurt too much for the seeding. I would have expected the tournament win to get us bumped up to a #2 though.

I don't like the USC draw at all. They are obviously a dangerous team in big games this year, and potentially having to travel out to LA for the second weekend could be painful.

8. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    If the Florida vs FSU didn't get canceled due to the hurricane I'm sure FSU would be a #1 seed win that win on their resume.

9. ufgator98-1

ufgator98-1 New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Just to play devil's advocate here, USC also had 4 losses and a tie(same as Florida), and many thought they would get the 4th 1 seed. unc and fsu had 3 losses, and 4 ties each.

The top 3 were clear cut, that last top seed was, I'm sure, long discussed. Even getting a top seed, should they get that far, the committee paired Florida up with that team that did beat them at home, 3-0.
    You could make arguments for several teams in that final slot. Based on past postseason play, Fsu will be fine. Florida has underachieved for well over a decade and usually goes out early. Should fsu make the final 8 they might not even see Florida, but I hope they do since the regular season matchup was washed out.

10. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Idk man, have you watched Florida the last 3-4 games? They're looking good. Their defense against S Carolina was phenomenal. They seem to be peaking at the right moment. I agree they've underachieved a lot in the NCAA tourney lately. But there's always first times to break that mold

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008

Very fair and well thought out points. Not too partisan. You do know this is FSU and UF we are talking about?
    J/K Soccer is a much more amicable rivalry.
    This is definitely the year UF or USC could beat FSU in the tourney. Our midfield is just average. Our backline is topline, but they can be penetrated.
    I haven't watched UF this year, but I know Jordan is a stud with a capital S.
    FSU could go to the CC or they could get knocked out early.
    The last few years, I didn't feel that way.

12. Ben.D

Ben.D New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    An easy win. There are a number of good points here: 1. Heidi and Malia scored their first goals. This is really good for Heidi because she needs that to improve her confidence. She was not allowed to play for a while. 2. The subs played really well. I didn't recognized any change in the level of performance even when we got 4 or 5 subs playing. 3. We got far more long distance shots than games early in the season. I don't know what happened but we need to diversify attacks like we did today. 4. Deyna striked again and her role in the team was far more than taking shots.

13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben, thanks for the info. I dont understand your statement about long distance shots, did you mean we didnt take long distance today or did?

14. Ben.D

Ben.D New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I meant FSU took more distance shots today than early games in the season. I think that is good for offense because we are more unpredictable. I had a short conversation with one of the parents of the girls he told me that at times Mark told girls not to take shots when there were good opportunities. He didn't understand why. My guess is that the coach wanted FSU team to play with the ball enough that would eventually confuse the other team forcing them to make mistake other than taking shots from a distance.

15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I would guess Mark told them not to shoot in certain situations, perhaps for the reasons you suggest, which this parent wrongly interprets as 'good opportunities.' There are always some fans/parents yelling 'shoot!' when the ball is within 35 yards. You're not scoring from there very often against decent-level goalkeeping.

16. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who has a quick scouting report on Utah? What should we expect?

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really a scouting report, but looking at the numbers, I'd say you should expect a very defense-oriented, low scoring game. Both teams have given up less than a goal a game. Both have scored a little over a goal a game.

From another perspective, Florida State has an 0.0100 ARPI edge over Utah. This doesn't surprise me, as FSU's goals against average is smaller: 0.35 for FSU as compared to 0.68 for Utah. With an 0.0100 ARPI edge and a neutral field, FSU's statistical likelihoods are:

Win: 49.6%
    Tie: 14.4%
    Loss: 35.9%
    (The %s don't quite add up to 100% due to rounding.)

It's really difficult to predict ties, but 0-0 or 1-1 going to KFTM wouldn't surprise me. 1-0 either way wouldn't surprise me either. Or 2-0 if one of the teams is ahead late and the other takes a lot of risks to even the score and gets burned.

So, get ready for some nail-biting.

PS - An unknown ingredient is that Utah has played on the field before (but not this year), and I don't think FSU has. In addition, FSU has a longer flight than Utah to get to LA and a three time zone change rather than Utah's one. I believe these provide some benefit to Utah.

18. Ben.D

Ben.D New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Thomas,
    Thanks for your report. I checked Utah's schedule and found that anytime they lost to a ranked team they couldn't score and the other team netted 2 or 3 goals. 0-3 Minn, 0-2 BYU, 0-2 Stanford. This is good for FSU I guess.

19. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Ummmm ... not so much. If you are indicating a possible advantage to the Utes based on the info above, you might as well give FSU an advantage because they have been training in weather conditions more similar to those in LA. Oh wait, Utah trains at an elevation of 3/4 mile, so maybe they will have an aerobic advantage. Immaterial all.

It is supposed to be very windy today ... now if Megan Campbell was still around to throw the ball 40 yards without the wind, well that would be an advantage!

20. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, thanks!

The west coast trip scares me. Hoping to get past Utah, don't see us making it past a USC team on their home pitch after the long trip.

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the University of Utah! Well deserved win!

6peternorth9 and Port Sider repped this.
  22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I have felt for quite some time that this might be the year we didn't make the college cup. The good news is, we only lose one player for next year. We are just a couple of pieces away from being college cup material again.

23. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprisingly disappointing season for winning the ACC. Too bad. This team never had the inevitable feel of those of the last couple years. They could compete with anybody but missed that extra gear. Here's to next season!

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Good way of putting it Sweep.
    They need a leader like Dagny who plays D as hard as she plays O.
    She played with an edge and refused to lose.
    This team has talent, but we need a little improvement in MF IMO.
    On our NC team Dagny and Jamia took it personally if they lost a ball. They tracked down the player
    and exacted revenge (within the rules).
    THis team is very young. It has time to grow!

25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incoming class of 2017 recruits consist of Anna Patten, Bella Dorosy, Angeline Daley, Claire Griffiths, Susan Kehl, Emily Madril and Madisyn Pezzino. Does anyone have any scouting reports on these players? Thanks for any info!